Running indoors or out?

Options
13»

Replies

• Amys712
    Amys712 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside! I get so bored when I am on the treadmill.
    My favorite running is on trails. I love the technicality of avoiding roots and rocks. It keeps my mind busy and entertained.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I like both, for different reasons and different functions. To each their own.

I agree with whoever provided a slow/fast/flat/incline routine - that's exactly the kind of workout I like to do on a treadmill. Speed intervals or hill intervals.

BUT...

Not for what you're doing. A warmup before a strength workout should be a pretty light workout - don't be trying to run too fast or do hills, especially on "leg day." And I think a 15-minute warmup is way too long, especially for a beginner lifter. That's probably a mile, mile and a half run, and if you're tired, you're less likely to focus on your ACTUAL workout, and more likely to lift with poor form. Your warm up should do just that - warm you up. It should NOT wear you out or be a workout unto itself. Everyone's different, and maybe that 15 minutes is easy for you, but it wouldn't be, for most people, I'd think.

Personally? I'd do a very light warmup, even just a few minutes walk, before lifting. If you're going to do more extended cardio, better to do it afterward.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Outside runner here, feel the same about treadmills. I warm up on the stationary bike.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If my only option was to run on a treadmill, I simply wouldn't do it. I don't mind cold running or rainy days anymore -- as long as my shoes doesn't get soaked. Because that might even be worse than the treadmill.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    If my only option was to run on a treadmill, I simply wouldn't do it. I don't mind cold running or rainy days anymore -- as long as my shoes doesn't get soaked. Because that might even be worse than the treadmill.

Darn Tough wool socks. They don't keep your feet dry, but the do keep your feet warm, and I've had no issues with blisters from running in the rain. Once I determined that wool socks were the way to go when my feet will get wet, running in the rain was clearly superior to running on a treadmill. Just park the shoes in front of a fan to dry out, and throw the socks in the running laundry.