Carbs, sheesh!

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    pcdoctor01 wrote: »
    My Dad has diabetes too so I really have to watch my carbs now.

The drivers for diabetes are largely obesity, inactivity and genetics. Carbs don't cause diabetes. If anything concentrate on getting a lot of fiber and limited added sugars.

If carbs don't cause diabetes then how can diabetes become non diabetic by limiting carbs only?
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My comment earlier didn't mean that any food with added sugar lacks nutrition, but rather that the added sugar itself doesn't add nutrition and only adds calories.

Articles on this point from the Mayo Clinic and American Heart Association linked here. From the AHA article: "Added sugars contribute zero nutrients but many added calories that can lead to extra pounds or even obesity, thereby reducing heart health."

Like you guys said, log the calories and read the nutrition labels. But many consumers need to be more aware.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I like my Cheerios with chocolate milk
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ValeriePlz wrote: »
    My comment earlier didn't mean that any food with added sugar lacks nutrition, but rather that the added sugar itself doesn't add nutrition and only adds calories.

I think what people were objecting to was the idea that "processed foods" inherently contain added sugar (or lots of it) and more calories than you expect. If you read labels and log it, you can't claim you didn't expect it, and of course many processed foods have no (or only a small amount) of added sugar and aren't high in calories.

One example, cottage cheese.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I don't think the blueberries would go well with that...
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I think what people were objecting to was the idea that "processed foods" inherently contain added sugar (or lots of it) and more calories than you expect.

They don't inherently contain added sugar, but many do, and the best part of logging is to educate ourselves about this. Here are some examples of foods that surprised me with how much added sugar they contain:
    • Bread (American bread is so sweet compared to other markets)
    • Yogurt
    • Spaghetti sauce
    • Granola (one of those foods with a health halo that can be the sugar equivalent of a candy bar)
    • Packaged soups
    • Bottled tea
    • Canned fruit
    • Breakfast cereals

Quote from a Time article: "Overall, processed foods contained eight times more sugar than less processed foods such as breads, cheese and canned foods, and five times more sugar than unprocessed or minimally processed choices such as meats, fresh fruits or vegetables, grains and milk."
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I don't think the blueberries would go well with that...

Hmmm that's fine ... too many carbs anyway ;) I'll just add chocolate chips
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    • Granola (one of those foods with a health halo that can be the sugar equivalent of a candy bar)

Granola has exploded in popularity lately and there are so many varieties at the grocery store. Most are very sweet, use suspicious ingredients (to achieve shelf life) and are basically cookies.

I eat (unsweetened) oatmeal made with milk, mixed berries (bought frozen), and walnuts all winter.

For summer, I'd like to switch to unsweetened granola with berries, walnuts, and yogurt. My conclusion is that you have to make the granola yourself if you want it unsweetened. Something new to learn to do!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I feel the need to add...

Cheerios and blueberries for breakfast would not keep me full for long. I'd be hangry by mid-morning. Try protein and some healthy fats (maybe switch the Cheerios out for greek yogurt) and see if you feel fuller/more satisfied.

I was also thinking the same thing! I have eggs for breakfast every morning - usually with some cheese and/or a piece of bacon. I'd be so hangry by about 10:30 on just cheerios and some blueberries
  • acorsaut89
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My Dad has diabetes so I really have to watch my carbs now because I tend to take after his side of the family. I don't have diabetes but since my Dad does I better be careful.

Well, not really. My dad has to watch his sugar intake as he's been diagnosed pre-diabetic and when I was at my biggest I was also in the same boat. He's still watching his sugar (likely due to age, and other factors) but I'm not and carbs are my most favourite macro :) lol I am a lot more active than he is on a regular basis and my sugar levels are fine. We even did a comparison one night after a (large) family dinner and I was about 4.8 right after eating a bunch of lasagna . . . so while genetics can play a role, it often is based on the individual.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Is this just an exercise forum?

MFP has a "community" section with several forums, each with a specific purpose. There's one for support and motivation, one for food and nutrition, and one for fitness and exercise. This thread was originally posted in the exercise-specific forum; somebody looked at all of the options and decided exercise was the best fit for what they had to say, that the exercise crowd was who they wanted to speak to. Since then, the thread was moved to "food and nutrition" which has a different purpose and attracts a different group of people.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I never realized the importance of counting carbs. Found out that I've been losing weight the incorrect way. Instead of counting carbs, I was watching my added sugar intake. I know what to do now but d*mn! One cup of Cheerios is 20 carbs. One cup of blueberries is 21 carbs. To think I've been eating two cups of Cherrios on some days and one day I even topped them with blueberries. This is really eye opening.

If you were losing weight then you weren't losing weight in the wrong way. Carbs have nothing to do with anything...they're just one of three macronutrients and there are tons of nutritionally dense sources of carbohydrates that are very beneficial to health.
    My Dad has diabetes so I really have to watch my carbs now because I tend to take after his side of the family. I don't have diabetes but since my Dad does I better be careful.

My dad had diabetes too. It wasn't a result of eating carbohydrates. It was a result if his overall crappy diet, mass over consumption of calories, he was obese, and pretty inactive. If you look at blue zone areas of the world, they are some of the healthiest populations in the world and eat diets relatively high in carbohydrates.

I eat a lot of legumes, lentils, potatoes and sweet potatoes, oats, quinoa, etc...all very solid sources of carbohydrates and pretty good for you.

This reminds me, I really need to incorporate more legumes and lentils into my diet.

It might be weird, but they are two of my favorite things...I usually have one or the other 4-5x per week with some meal or another.
  • acorsaut89
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I pay attention to carbs because my dad has diabetes and I don't want it. He counts carbs to keep his blood glucose controlled..

I lose weight best on high protein. Nutrition is a very individual science.

But wait, do you mean he counts all carbs or starchy carbs? Diabetics are also advised to stay away from certain fruits, or only eat them in very limited amounts - like bananas and melons - and also alcohol due to the way it metabolizes in your body . . . neither fruits nor alcohol are traditionally seen as "carbs". So does he count all carbs, or just starchy carbs? If so, I'd say that's more for portion control than anything else.