How do you stop yourself from binging?

Options
Hi! I have quite the problem with binging; I've binged about 4-5 times in the past 7 days, which just WILL NOT CUT IT! I need some help. I just binged on some cupcakes at work. What do you do when you're faced with an opportunity and the only thing you want to do is to LOSE YOUR MIND over that thing you're dying for?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    For clarification: Are you talking about episodes of BED (binge eating disorder) or are you using the term more informally to talk about giving in to a craving for certain foods?
  • icecreambecky
    icecreambecky Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ...Probably talking more about BED. I don't want to self diagnose but I often find myself going on 900+ calorie binges in ten-minute periods, stuffing myself WAY fuller than I ever would want to. Could just be regular cravings but I am a little concerned about Binge Eating Disorder.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    How many cupcakes?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ...Probably talking more about BED. I don't want to self diagnose but I often find myself going on 900+ calorie binges in ten-minute periods, stuffing myself WAY fuller than I ever would want to. Could just be regular cravings but I am a little concerned about Binge Eating Disorder.

Is this something you've struggled with before or did it begin when you began counting calories?

Some people find that it is very hard to control binges when they try to go too low on calories.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

If it's disordered eating you are worried about I think the best thing would be to speak to a professional and get the help you need. x

If it's just cravings and temptations at work, I just try to avoid the kitchen maybe even bring in something I can snack on whilst cakes happening like apple and peanut butter and I would also reevaluate if you were being overly restrictive with your cals eg MFP setting of more than 1 pound a week (or even 1 pound a week is quite restrictive for some with not much to lose)

Take care x
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    A smaller deficit with room for all of the foods I love and treats.. nothing is off limits so I don't feel restricted.
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hypnosis. There are free hypnosis videos on youtube for binge eating and weight loss. It's basically a meditation that you do every day. Helps me a lot.I love Thomas Hall his hypnosis videos have saved my life. Also knowing your triggers is really important. My triggers are not getting enough sleep, being hungry, feeling alone or stressed, and watching tv by myself at night. Making sure I never get too hungry is really important for me to avoid binging.
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    Options

If it's disordered eating you are worried about I think the best thing would be to speak to a professional and get the help you need. x

If it's just cravings and temptations at work, I just try to avoid the kitchen maybe even bring in something I can snack on whilst cakes happening like apple and peanut butter and I would also reevaluate if you were being overly restrictive with your cals eg MFP setting of more than 1 pound a week (or even 1 pound a week is quite restrictive for some with not much to lose)

Take care x

I have binge eating disorder and have gone to many different health proffesionals for it and none of them were able to help me in the slightest. Not saying OP shouldn't seek proffessional help just that sometimes more is required
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I have binge eating disorder and have gone to many different health proffesionals for it and none of them were able to help me in the slightest. Not saying OP shouldn't seek proffessional help just that sometimes more is required

Same. I feel especially as a man, I am shrugged off for any sort of eating disorder. I think therapy can be helpful for some, but I've had bad experiences trying to find therapy for binge disorder. I basically have gotten an eye roll and told to eat less.
  • key7799
    key7799 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Same. I feel especially as a man, I am shrugged off for any sort of eating disorder. I think therapy can be helpful for some, but I've had bad experiences trying to find therapy for binge disorder. I basically have gotten an eye roll and told to eat less.

Me to I was told by a doctor that I'm just greedy I wish that was all it was
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'd look at the circumstances that caused you to eat a lot in one sitting. Were you super hungry at the time? Did you eat a food that you can't stop eating? Were you tired, post-workout, etc.? You can try to avoid those situations, and make a plan to keep a reasonably sized portion of a snack or meal around for situations that cause you to overeat.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ This
    When I find myself getting into binge mode (eg stuffing food in, to hell with it attitude) I actually say STOP out loud. For me there's something about hearing myself say stop that works much better than just saying it in my head.