Do you crate your dog when you aren't home?

Options
13»

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Eh, I just don't judge and I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all solution. I've had dogs that loved their crates and I've had dogs that couldn't possibly be asked to go into a crate and I've had dogs with behavior problems and I've had dogs with more energy than they knew what to do with and I've had dogs with anxiety and you figure out what works for your individual situation.

I promise you, for most dogs who have been properly introduced and trained to crate, the experience isn't what you think. It isn't doggie jail. Dogs aren't humans and don't have the same needs and expectations as we do.

This is exactly why I posed the question. My husband and I were hesitant to get a dog for a very long time because we knew it would require crating while we got it through the potty training stages and we were not overly fond of the idea of leaving a dog in a crate that long. But we researched the process and found that most trainers believe that dogs actually like being in a crate when their owners are away because it gives them that natural den security. Now that our dog is ready to be left to run free, I wounder if she actually prefers the security of the crate. I realize that we can leave the door open, but I am not sure if that would change the way she feels in there. I am not sure if she would prefer to run free, but I am sure that she does not mind being in the crate. However, letting her have free reign of the house would allow us to be gone for longer periods of time without needing to come home to let her out.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    NEVER.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Watched "A Dog's Purpose" this weekend on PPV with my wife.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

I was, gonna watch; it but they got, caught abusing a dog while creating it so; I refuse to now!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

I was, gonna watch; it but they got, caught abusing a dog while creating it so; I refuse to now!

The producer spoke out to clarify the situation. After reading his comments, I wouldn't have a problem watching the movie. You may still feel it was enough to warrant boycotting the movie, however.

http://blog.humanesociety.org/wayne/2017/02/movie-producer-speaks-controversy-dogs-purpose-american-humane-association.html
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gavin-polone-a-dogs-purpose-outcry-what-happened-whos-blame-967160
  • FrancineJM61
    FrancineJM61 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    well when I would go out and leave them alone they would dig to get out. So when I leave for a couple of hours I do crate them. In fact they go to the crate. When I'm going to be gone more then 2 hours I take them to day boarding where they are outside with other dogs
  • StacywithaY
    StacywithaY Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My boy loves his crate. He was crated as a puppy and now, even if I leave him loose, he prefers to lay in there.