Combating Over-training

Options
Hello peeps,

I'm training for a half marathon and I'm experiencing symptoms of over training. I know the web has info on this but wanted to know how you guys deal with it or what you do to over come it?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    A deload week with half the workout volume would be my first choice.
    Second choice would be an active recovery week with low impact and low volume training.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I take a extra rest day if needed or take a cut back week. I usually plan 2 extra weeks into my training schedule for cut back weeks. However, if you do not have an extra week planned into your schedule, it still is better to take a cut back week than to push forward if you are feeling the effects of over-training. Proper rest and recovery are important parts of any training.

Specifically, what symptoms are you feeling?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Are you following a training program that incorporates rest as well as variable intensity training sessions? Are you eating enough to properly fuel the training? Are you doing other things beyond just this training that might interfere with recovery?

I had some overtraining issues when I was first dieting, but it really wasn't as much about overtraining as it was underfeeding my training.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How many miles are you running per week? What cross training are you doing?
    Are you running a deficit?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Are you following a training program that incorporates rest as well as variable intensity training sessions? Are you eating enough to properly fuel the training? Are you doing other things beyond just this training that might interfere with recovery?

I had some overtraining issues when I was first dieting, but it really wasn't as much about overtraining as it was underfeeding my training.

Quoted for truth. Underfeeding and a lack of sleep can be huge factors in overtraining.
  • jennieskoolaid
    jennieskoolaid Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback. I'm following John Stantons half marathon training program and I'm also incorporating strength training twice a week. I think I eat enough calories. I usually eat around 2000 calories a day but I burn at least half of those with exercise. I have taken Sunday and Monday completely off from ant exercise and thought that might reboot my system but on Tuesday I went for my scheduled run and was feeling the drain. Today I'm going to do some light elliptical and no run and maybe some strength training. But I have 5 miles to do on Thursday and I'm worried I won't be able to do it. I've already taken time off. Should I take rest or do the elliptical again?
  • jennieskoolaid
    Options
    Also, the symptoms I'm feeling are low energy, tired, muscle aches in the calves. When I went for my sprint run my mind says push hard but my body isn't responding. It's like something pulling me down. I've also done a slow run and my heart rate was higher than normally for slow runs.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback. I'm following John Stantons half marathon training program and I'm also incorporating strength training twice a week. I think I eat enough calories. I usually eat around 2000 calories a day but I burn at least half of those with exercise. I have taken Sunday and Monday completely off from ant exercise and thought that might reboot my system but on Tuesday I went for my scheduled run and was feeling the drain. Today I'm going to do some light elliptical and no run and maybe some strength training. But I have 5 miles to do on Thursday and I'm worried I won't be able to do it. I've already taken time off. Should I take rest or do the elliptical again?

What are your stats to be burning 1000 cals from exercise?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Also, is it warmer than it has been where you live? Adjusting to running in the heat can take some time and it can certainly take its toll on you. And it's very important to make sure you are adequately hydrated. The symptoms you are experiencing can also be the result of dehydration and low electrolytes.
  • runningkel
    runningkel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten some good advice, but I'd also suggest you look at your training plan. If this is your first half, you may want something that isn't as intense. John Stanton's plan calls for 5 days of running and if you're strength training 2 days, that's a lot of activity. Even after 10 years of running, I still find I run best on plans that are 4 days a week...maybe I'll add a 5th day of a slow 2 miler. But if you've done them before and you find that 5 days works for you, maybe make sure that the majority of your runs are done at an easy pace (i.e. you could carry on a conversation). Maybe it's the intensity that's draining you and not necessarily the frequency.

But, listen to your body; if it seems like that much work for a normal run or seems like you're over-trained, then get some more rest. Pushing through overtraining can lead to injury, which would sideline you for more than a few days. Better to take it easy/back off for a few days or a week now.

Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I think I eat enough calories. I usually eat around 2000 calories a day but I burn at least half of those with exercise.

You're massively under fuelled.

You need to consume enough to fuel your training. That said, 1000 calories per day would suggest your either overestimating, or overdoing it.
  • jennieskoolaid
    Options
    Yes, you're right. I burn almost half my calories. So for today my intake was 1756 and my burn was 702. I left my diary open to public and I make sure to log everything correctly even the "bad".
  • jennieskoolaid
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Maybe I'm not eating enough and my husband just said "I told you so" about doing to much. Lol, I needed that second opinion. So I'll definitely dial it back for the rest of the week and hopefully I'll feel like myself again by Sunday. Thanks everyone
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Eyeballing things, it looks like you're averaging about 1700 cals per day net, which isn't crazy low... but probably not ideal if you want to be doing big efforts/burns most days.

What's your main goal? Losing weight, or training for the half? If the first, then cut back on the training and you should start to feel better. If the second, then eat more.

In both cases, make sure you are getting enough sleep.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You're not overtraining, you're under recovering. Eat more.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more. What are your other life stresses? Job stress, kids, are you sleeping well? Those can all impact recovery.
  • TavistockToad
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yes, you're right. I burn almost half my calories. So for today my intake was 1756 and my burn was 702. I left my diary open to public and I make sure to log everything correctly even the "bad".

263 of those cals were from cleaning... that sort of think should really be in your activity setting, not exercise.

did you get your calorie goal from MFP or TDEE, as you should be eating back exercise cals if its a MFP goal?
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree that Stanton's program may by a bit much for a first timer. Maybe at least take a look at Galloway. Stanton took his cues from Galloway, but Galloway is far more humane. He wants you to love running. His website might be worth a look see.

Can you allow yourself to make your first goal simply to ***complete*** a half? Tuck away the hoped for time or the goal of running the entire distance. Simply ***complete***. THAT counts as a success!

Also, you might allow yourself to have a different run/walk pattern. I started training with a 3/1 pattern: run three songs, walk one. Allowing my body those longer mini recoveries gave it the ability to work up to 4/1, 5/1, 6/1. I always walk part of my halfs. Walking is OK!!! It isn't a cop out or a failure.

It is far better to go out slow and love what you are doing. Then work out the kinks in the program.

Blessings on your journey.

• jennieskoolaid
    Options
    Thank you Kavahni for the kind advice