Workouts while healing from a sprained ankle?

Options
Hi guys so I sprained my ankle (3rd degree sprain) 6 weeks ago and am healing slowly. Was given the ok from my podiatrist to start light exercising, the only thing I have been able to do so far is the stationary bike and weights any suggestions on how I can do cardio without putting a lot of pressure on the ankle? Thanks

Replies

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Find a Pool. Deep WAter Aquafit or lap swimming will give you a great overall workout without stressing your joint. A Neoprene ankle brace may be wise as well. :)
  • bgonzalez1925
    bgonzalez1925 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • tgoodwinrn
    tgoodwinrn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Agree with aqua jogging. I do it 4-5xweek. . I love it & there are several YouTube videos to introduce you to correct posture/technique
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Pool for sure.

Bike would be good as well, just don't crank the intensity and try to stay seated.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    After I broke my ankle I googled a number of seated exercise routines - probably more weights & resistance than cardio though.

Stationery bike is great - it was the number one recommendation from my physio during my rehab. Gently takes the joint through a range of motion.

Swimming/aqua fitness is great. Not sure of your mobility in the joint, but be aware I found my kick to be really weak for a long time - I swam with a kick board for quite a while to give me some extra buoyancy while working on my kicking. First time I tried without I thought I was going to sink, my kick was so pathetic! :)

Good luck - hope you have a speedy recovery.