Looking for Advice from Guys over 40

Replies

• Brian_Dempsey
    Brian_Dempsey Posts: 25 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I would also consider adding more protein to your diet (you didn't reference it so I'm not sure what your protein intake is). I shoot for 40% of my diet, but usually hit in the low 30s.

I have sooo much to learn about this stuff. I think I'm eating a good bit of protein (steak, chicken, etc.), but I don't know what all contains protein, "good fat," etc. There are 1001 different videos, blogs, opinions...no idea really where to start. So that's why my list in the original post - the only thing I know.

• Brian_Dempsey
    Hi 41 here - got up to 225 about a month ago and was still smoking 10 cigs a day so decided to make a change. I stopped and started MFP.

So far I have added 4-5 excercises a week - nothing too drastic and I switch them up constantly as I'm easily bored and injury prone. For example this week I will do two 3/4 mile swims alternating breast stroke and freestyle (without killing myself with speed), 1-2 spinning classes and then 1-2 sessions in the gym mainly on a crossfit and bike with some light weights. I also throw in the odd body pump or Hiit session. I don't eat great but by tracking I have cut out a lot of snacks I didn't even realise I did including a bag of haribo or similar everynight. This is now down to weekends only which iosnt great but is a massive step forward. My goal is to complete a short sprint triathlon with running being my main issue as I have had major injuries to knees and ankles through sports which I now get physio on.

As a side note what works at my gym is there is internet access on the cardio machines so I tie it in with learning new stuff and watching courses on my interests - guitar, cyber security and cloud computing - which makes 30 minutes fly by.

Best of luck

That's fantastic! Congrats. Sounds like you're well on your way. I'm trying to stay away from gyms and just do what I can at home with body weight stuff (if I'll ever start!). I don't have a lot of time.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    not to Hijack this. are there good Lifting Apps besides StrongLifts that are an App for the phone to use for tracking and to give direction?

Yes, Strongur is a great one for coaching. Available on iOS, not sure about Android.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Hi 41 here - got up to 225 about a month ago and was still smoking 10 cigs a day so decided to make a change. I stopped and started MFP.

So far I have added 4-5 excercises a week - nothing too drastic and I switch them up constantly as I'm easily bored and injury prone. For example this week I will do two 3/4 mile swims alternating breast stroke and freestyle (without killing myself with speed), 1-2 spinning classes and then 1-2 sessions in the gym mainly on a crossfit and bike with some light weights. I also throw in the odd body pump or Hiit session. I don't eat great but by tracking I have cut out a lot of snacks I didn't even realise I did including a bag of haribo or similar everynight. This is now down to weekends only which iosnt great but is a massive step forward. My goal is to complete a short sprint triathlon with running being my main issue as I have had major injuries to knees and ankles through sports which I now get physio on.

As a side note what works at my gym is there is internet access on the cardio machines so I tie it in with learning new stuff and watching courses on my interests - guitar, cyber security and cloud computing - which makes 30 minutes fly by.

Best of luck

That's fantastic! Congrats. Sounds like you're well on your way. I'm trying to stay away from gyms and just do what I can at home with body weight stuff (if I'll ever start!). I don't have a lot of time.

I'm about your age and lost 42 lbs. Starting lifting weights in February. I think I know what you want. You've lost some weight, now are thinking, what next? What not abs? That what I thought too.

Since I can't stand to go to the extra effort, never mind the $$$ and the time it takes to go to the gym and be with other people (I don't like people, lol ) I decided that I needed to do something at home.

I read up on StrongLifts, Starting Strength and more advanced lifting programs and decided I needed a total body 3 day/wk program, which is what people who are starting to lift do best on (total body ±3 days per week)

Since I have only a barbell and some weights for it I had to modify the squats and bench press. I've got to "clean" squats and overhead presses first too.

StrongLifts 5 x 5 is a great place to start, it will show you what you need to do in terms of progressive overload and exercise balance, and it is very simple. I highly recommend it for someone to do this program just to get started. It's only for a few months, but it's important that you learn the basic core lifts and that you learn progressive overload. Nobody ever got strong, toned, ripped or anything without the core lifts and progressive overload.

The whole process of looking good with a bit of lifting, but not getting big and bulky is the same when you start out.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    A good strength program for the over-40 crowd is New Rules of Lifting for Life. It addresses mobility and multi-planar coordination better than typical programs. :+1:

I've done this (at least parts of it). The book is great. No *kitten*. Highly recommended.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    I'm 59 and a little over 2 years ago weighed over 230 lbs. I could barely walk a mile at a slow pace without having to lay down after. I had to have surgery for diverticulitis and had to get my heart and lungs tested before they would do the surgery. They told me I had COPD, and the stress test for my heart did not come out good so they had to do a catheterization. They didn't find any blockage, but a small part of the bottom of my heart was slightly enlarged which indicated that I could have had a mini heart attack at some point.

I was told by several doctors to start exercising, lose weight, and quit smoking, or I would not be around very much longer.

After the surgery I got a cheap fitness tracker and set it to lose 1 lb. a week. I started getting my steps in and logging my food. I started losing 1 lb. a week.

After seeing that it was working I got a better fitness tracker that monitored my heart rate and had a GPS so I could track my pace/distance.

I started power walking, and kept pushing myself harder, longer, faster. In a year I went from barely being able to walk 1 mile at a 3 mph pace to being able to power walk 10 miles at a 4.5 mph pace. It got to the point where I couldn't keep my heart rate up high enough just from walking so I started adding run intervals into my power walks. At first I could only run for about 30 seconds, but now I can run 5 miles.

I have not logged my food for close to a year now and have been maintaining my weight just fine, and have lost over 50 lbs.

Just recently had another stress test of my heart and the cardiologist went over the results with me. He said my heart ramped up very well on the treadmill portion of the test, I was able to maintain my max heart rate with no problem, and my heart was strong. He said the test was excellent.

I also recently had all my blood work done (which was always a mess), and every test came back fine. My doctor said I was the only patient he had ever seen that cut his bad cholesterol in half and more than doubled his goo cholesterol. He uses me as an example for his other patients.

I guess 2 years of cardio paid off.

For muscular I do pushups, sit-ups, kayaking, pull-ups, and I have a total gym knock off.

As far as my diet goes... my main diet is healthy (lean meats, veggies, fruit, nuts/seed, fish, etc... But if I want a soda, some pizza, or a cheese steak, I eat it. I just don't over do it.

I have recently discovered trail running because I twisted my ankle real bad when I was young and if I stand on the side of my foot and put weight on it, it will pop right out again, so I was looking for things that would strengthen those type of things. At first I just walked the trails until I got used to it, but now I can run them for the most parts, and it is extremely fun. I have not twisted my ankle and it feels like it is getting stronger.

Anyway, those are the things that I did in case it would interest you.

here is a before and after pic...
    w4e0ykkzlcc9.jpg
  • Brian_Dempsey
    Congrats to you! That's quite inspiring. Honestly, I do not want to get to the point where I wouldn't have a slice of cheesecake if I wanted it. For me, it's about learning to be smart and feel healthy in my body. But I'm not gonna be one of those guys that eats twigs and bark and berries and nothing else. ;)

Like you, I have worked my way up to 5 1/2 to 7 miles of powerwalking at an incredibly brisk pace. And I've done that in the last 7 1/2 weeks. I could barely walk a mile or so without being totally wiped out when I started.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    I'm 46 and have never really "dieted." I've worked from home for the last 10 years, but the last several years I've really become more sedentary - and my waistline showed it! I got on the scale at 223.8 (for the first time in forever), and that was it! The next day I determined I would do a few things (the only things I know):

1. Drink more water and cut out cokes (done) More water, good, cut out cookies not necessary. Cut DOWN on cookies (caloric intake) To lose weight you need a caloric deficit. How you achieve that is your business.
    2. Start fast walking (I'm now up to about 5 1/2 miles 5 times per week) Movement is good. The form of the movement, though not necessary, is up to you.
    3. Smaller portions Fine for cutting calories and achieving that needed caloric deficit. I like "seconds" so smaller portions make this doable.
    4. Reduce carbs (just say "no" to the complementary bread, and chips, and pasta, and...)Carbs, neither good nor bad. Calories need to be watched and limited.
    5. Don't eat late Timing of meals is not relevant
    6. Healthy snacks (grapes, cottage cheese, bananas, etc.) Healthy anything is good

I've done this consistently for the last 7 1/2 weeks, and I've dropped 20 lbs. But I'm not "in shape." So what you are doing is working for you. KEEP IT UP. I really need to work on getting tone and flexibility. I have no desire to be a "meat head" and spend all my time in the gym. I'd like to simply have good flexibility and feel "healthy" in my body. I've seen some "abs after 40" videos on YouTube that look good. I'd like to start "something" (body weight exercises / light dumbbell stuff) this week, but I don't know what. Pick a program and try it. if you like it, stick with it. If you don't, try another.

Both of my parents died at 66, my mom from lung cancer (never smoked) and my dad from ...well, you name it, he had it. So I need to do what I can now. I see your point. We all need to keep fit and active.

Any guys over 40 in the same boat - looking to lose some weight, get in shape, etc...I'd love to connect.

My opinion is bolded above. Guys over 40 thinking you're old. :D You break me up.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Agree with all of the above, except perhaps the carb part lol. I do believe carbs are bad, rather the wrong type of carbs are bad, mainly because they are so calorie dense. You can eat a mountain of broccoli, but a single slice of some breads are 200 calories. This is where the carb lovers can get into trouble. It's everywhere and it adds up quick
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    "Abs After 40" is marketed by Mike Chang and sixpackshortcuts. That's almost enough to make me immediately say, "pass." That said, let me check it out further.

...brb...

Oy. Pass on this. Run far away from it. Or just laugh at the sheer ridiculousness of it all.

Mcilyar didn't get that look from this program. And his before/after photos are the stereotypical nonsense that we see in these types of products.
    All those supplements are essentially worthless.

From their own disclaimer:
    And even when consumers implement our product in full, more often than not they do not report increases in fat loss, muscle gain, abdominal definition, or other positive results of any kind.

IOW: It probably ain't gonna do jack for you.

For a more detailed review, here's one that goes into a fair amount of detail regarding the BS.

Save your money.
  • TR0berts
    I guess I should add that I'm 45. My exercise routine is simple - 4 days in the gym lifting, 2 days of moderate/intense cardio, and walking 1-1.5 miles most days at lunch. I haven't changed too much what I've been eating - mostly just quantities.
  • Brian_Dempsey
    TR0berts wrote: »
    "Abs After 40" is marketed by Mike Chang and sixpackshortcuts. That's almost enough to make me immediately say, "pass." That said, let me check it out further.

...brb...

Oy. Pass on this. Run far away from it. Or just laugh at the sheer ridiculousness of it all.

Mcilyar didn't get that look from this program. And his before/after photos are the stereotypical nonsense that we see in these types of products.
    All those supplements are essentially worthless.

From their own disclaimer:
    And even when consumers implement our product in full, more often than not they do not report increases in fat loss, muscle gain, abdominal definition, or other positive results of any kind.

IOW: It probably ain't gonna do jack for you.

For a more detailed review, here's one that goes into a fair amount of detail regarding the BS.

Save your money.

Yeah, I never thought about purchasing anything from them, but I thought the videos had some good exercises I could do at home. I've already saved 4-5 of them to put together some workouts at home. I think someone would have to be an idiot to think they'd look like him doing some video program.

• TR0berts
    Ok, then. The videos - from what little I looked at - seemed fine.
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    44 years old 505 days ago I weighed 215

I'm 168 in the profile pic
    Accomplished with a calorie deficit some weights in the garage and a decent pair of running shoes
  • Brian_Dempsey

Accomplished with a calorie deficit some weights in the garage and a decent pair of running shoes

Heck yeah! ;) How tall are you? I'm 6' and 203. I'm not sure what my "target weight" should be - or if I even need to worry about that. I know I still need to lose the rest of the belly fat - another 10lbs or so. But once I get there and start working out, I don't think I'll be too concerned about my weight - just wanting to get toned and feel healthy.
  • bigmuneymfp
    5'8
  • bigmuneymfp
    edited May 2017

Heck yeah! ;) How tall are you? I'm 6' and 203. I'm not sure what my "target weight" should be - or if I even need to worry about that. I know I still need to lose the rest of the belly fat - another 10lbs or so. But once I get there and start working out, I don't think I'll be too concerned about my weight - just wanting to get toned and feel healthy.

Most pro athletes have a 23 to 25 bmi so that's what I shoot for

165 lbs puts me at a 25
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    I started at forty five, I know your pain.

The best thing you can do - in additional to all the good things you're already doing - is get under a barbell. The muscle fibers (Type II) are more readily lost as we get older, which directly causes weakness and frailty.

Frailty is a killer. It robs you of the ability to stand up from a chair without assistance, leads to balance problems as you're less likely to have the strength to pull yourself back into line subconsciously, and a whole host of other issues.

Look at Starting Strength or Stronglifts, and I'd also highly recommend the book (or ebook) "The Barbell Prescription". It's entire focus is weight training for those over forty.
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,475 Member
    Lots of good stuff in here...my tip is motivational. There will be times when you don't feel like training. At those times I follow the rule of 'ALWAYS START the planned session. If you don't feel like it once you've started, then stop...but ALWAYS START'.
  • bigmuneymfp
    Tallawah_ wrote: »
    Lots of good stuff in here...my tip is motivational. There will be times when you don't feel like training. At those times I follow the rule of 'ALWAYS START the planned session. If you don't feel like it once you've started, then stop...but ALWAYS START'.

Good one