PSMF Free meal and structured refeeds

Options
I started a ketogenic diet on 03/15/2017 and had great success when I began - lost 15 lbs. and 3 inches in waist circumference in 5 weeks! However, I've been on a plateau for 4 weeks, no change in weight or my waist. I started a Protein-Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF) yesterday to quickly lose 5-10 pounds of body fat and get back on track. Beach vacation in 5 weeks and I'd love to rock my bikini more comfortably!

My calculated PSMF macros are:

155 g protein
20 g carbs
20 g fat

I'm in Category 2 - 1 free meal per week, 5 hour refeed once a week

CW: 172 lbs.
Height: 5' 5"
Waist: 32"
Body fat: ~27-28%

Goal measurements: 27-29" waist, 150 lbs. (scale weight not that important if I hit my waist goal TBH)

My QUESTION is (finally!) if you're doing the PSMF, when do plan your free meal? Every 3-4 days? And the Refeed? I don't want to schedule them too close to one another.

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, PSMF's are frowned upon on the general forums here. However I've used them with success and it sounds like you've done your research on macros etc.

All I'll say is that you don't want to do them next to each other. Typically free meal mid week and refeed at the weekend.
  • VI2Indy
    VI2Indy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up! Yea I'm usually not a crash dieter. But I've done plenty of reading and I know this will be very short term.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you can find the LCHF group here, you will probably get more replies. :drinker:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ...in for the lock in....

Good reasons to do a VLCD:
    a) morbidly obese about to die otherwise
    b) rocking your bikini

it's only a few days.... nothing bad can happen in five days... has anyone ever heard of something bad happening in five days?!?!

(At least you picked one of the best VLCDs and have read up on it.... that's something!)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    What does Lyle say? I've calculated before but wasn't in the category that gets a free meal.

I re-feed on my diet on Saturdays. I guess if I was doing PSMF I'd want the free meal a few days apart from it personally.
  • VI2Indy
    Options
    Lyle's handbook doesn't specify when the refeed and free meal should happen, just that they are each once a week and on a workout day. Scheduling the refeed mid-week and free meal 3-4 days later seems like the best way to go.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    VI2Indy wrote: »
    Lyle's handbook doesn't specify when the refeed and free meal should happen, just that they are each once a week and on a workout day. Scheduling the refeed mid-week and free meal 3-4 days later seems like the best way to go.

On his forums people asked similar and my response reflects his answer.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    This is outside the T&Cs of this forum so it will get poofed.

I've done RFL too, two short rounds. You'd probably be better heading over to Lyle's forum.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I believe @Gallowmere1984 does/has done PSMF's. Maybe track him down if he doesn't see this.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    As a former Cat 2, my recommendations would mirror Trigden's, though I skipped the free meal. Also, Lyle has admitted there's a lot of new research calling the veracity of C2's short refeed into question, so far as physiological benefits go.
  • VI2Indy
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Do the free meal and refeed whenever you want. A lot of times it's helpful to save then for when you know you have dinner plans with friends, etc.

If you are a daily weigher and have trouble seeing the scale go up. You may not want to weigh yourself the day after refeed or free meal as your weight will inevitably go up. But if you are adherent you will see the weight drop consistently even with the slight spikes after the free meals/refeed. (I actually started this today). I used to do this when I was younger and thin. Then got married, had a child, lost my mom, worked full time and a part time job and have just hadn't prioritized myself (= huge at gain). So anyway back at it today. Good luck adhering to it!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Oh that re-feed scale spike. Yucky. I re-feed on Saturday and I swear it takes a whole 4 days to even out again...from an extra 100-150 grams of carbs. Annoying.
  • VI2Indy
    Options
    Lynnmi07 wrote: »
    Do the free meal and refeed whenever you want. A lot of times it's helpful to save then for when you know you have dinner plans with friends, etc.

If you are a daily weigher and have trouble seeing the scale go up. You may not want to weigh yourself the day after refeed or free meal as your weight will inevitably go up. But if you are adherent you will see the weight drop consistently even with the slight spikes after the free meals/refeed. (I actually started this today). I used to do this when I was younger and thin. Then got married, had a child, lost my mom, worked full time and a part time job and have just hadn't prioritized myself (= huge at gain). So anyway back at it today. Good luck adhering to it!

Thanks for the insight! I've been trying not to get attached to daily weighing. I did my first refeed last Friday on an outing with a friend. Definitely did not weigh myself the morning after! Lol Good luck on your PSMF as well!