Transitioning From Power lifting to Cycling

Went from 250# weight class down to 220# actual. Lost 30# of muscle and fat. Now I'm light enough to ride a carbon fibre road bike but I want to weigh in at 210#, only 10# more to go. No more aching joints!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    A lot of carbon road bikes don't have rider weight limits. If anything gives you trouble, it'll be the rear wheel,b ut at your weight there's no reason that should be an issue.

Do you have a bike?
  • Carl_Carlson
    Carl_Carlson Posts: 85 Member
    Thanks, makes me feel better about carbon. Still avoiding bumps in the road though. got a bit spooked when a buddy & I both a little over 250 rode on new carbon bikes, second day out buddy broke his frame. The Wrench at the bike shop said we were too heavy for carbon so I bought a second steel Walmart special to ride until I got below 230. Now at 221 so the Walmart special is going to the Goodwill tomorrow.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    If a carbon fiber frame broke after two days with a 250 lb rider there was something wrong with the frame to begin with. I hit a dog so hard with a bike with a carbon fork that it twisted the handle bars out of alignment, but the fork was fine. I would actually be more concerned about the weight limits on a Walmart bike than on a quality bicycle. Walmart bikes are built for looks for people who ride slowly for short distances.
  • Carl_Carlson
    Thanks TimF, I agree about Walmart bike, it's found a new home. My friend refused to fight the bike shop over his broken frame and accepted a 20% discount on another. I bought a Merckyx and have had no issues with it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Years ago I had a carbon road bike whose frame cracked. The company replaced it for free. But different companies have different warranty policies and I imagine it would be a difficult thing to fight.

Glad you're transitioning to your nice bike, I hope you enjoy it. Do you have a picture of your steed?
  • Carl_Carlson
    Years ago I had a carbon road bike whose frame cracked. The company replaced it for free. But different companies have different warranty policies and I imagine it would be a difficult thing to fight.

Glad you're transitioning to your nice bike, I hope you enjoy it. Do you have a picture of your steed?

Just got back from riding a bike path here in Florida that is supposed to be haunted, no spooks today just gopher tortoises, gators and gnats. Lots of gnats.

I'm riding a Merckx - I think it's called an EM5, not a new one but really light. I'm not worried about the frame so much, since it's aluminium, it's the carbon fork that I sweat every time I hit a bump in the road.

yu1je12vixjc.jpg