Homemade frappucino with a protein twist

Options
2»

Replies

• NadirToZenith
    NadirToZenith Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I almost always am rushed for breakfast so I generally throw a cup of brewed coffee into my blender with a bunch of crushed ice and 1 scoop Vanilla Lean 25 Protein Powder from GNC and 1 scoop of chocolate Lean 25 powder. Makes a yummy and filling mocha shake. 25 grams of protein and 10 of fiber plus my caffeine. Not a bad way to start the morning :)
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I wish it were possible to get sample sizes of any protein powder you want to try!

Ask at your local supplement store. I have seen several in many different parts of Ontario as well as in St. John's that either make protein shakes with fro-yo for around $4 or are willing to toss a scoop of protein into a baggy for you to taste. They are also typically very understanding when it comes to intolerances. I have been told many times to "give it a week or so" and if the lactose or gluten in a new flavour bother me I can bring it back.

In terms of being unsure flavour-wise, I find they all taste like protein powder until you get into the 400+ cals a scoop muscle builders. As a 152 lb female, no thank you! So what I do I buy the AllMax Isonatural or Isoflex and add dark chocolate almond milk, and banana for potassium. The concoction sits at about 340 cals and if you add a bunch of ice and spinach to the blender you can add mass (and fibre) to the masterpiece without adding substantial calories or changing the flavour. I'm not one for drinking them alone but I like to add the 25g of protein to my day in a way that feel like a treat. Maybe that would work better if you're like me and can't handle the dried milk powder taste.

I used to think that about the flavor. I have found Carnivore. It is a beef protein. The chocolate tastes like a yoohoo when mixed with water and ice. It's 124 calories and 23 g protein. Mix it with a 1/4 cup milk, 3/4 cup water, spinach, half a banana and a sprinkle of cinnamon and YUMMO!! And less than 250 calories! It also comes in fruit punch and blue raspberry. I haven't tried those because the chocolate is sooo good, why mess with perfection?! LOL
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I'm in LOVE with Click Espresso protein powder. It's amazing! I blend with a little ice and it tastes just like a Starbucks Mocha Frap. with only 120 calories and 15 grams of protein.

I must find this protein powder!! <3
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Not really. Almond Breeze one is only 100 calories and although is has 17g of sugar, it is a lot lower than many other iced coffees. I generally just make my own iced coffee, but when I am in a hurry, I just grab Blue Diamond
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    love this idea!! thanks for sharing
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My local HEB only had sample sizes of something called Jay Robb protein powder, so I got one in whey protein and one in egg white protein, both chocolate. I then made my homemade frapp with that and it was great, but I discovered something even better:

I prefer the egg white protein powder (less of a twang, I think), so I blended that with ice, a cup of the iced mocha coffee (right now I have Silk) and a banana.....

330 calories and 25 grams of protein, and it was SOOOOO good.
  • cmkile1003
    cmkile1003 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yummy