Calorie intake

Hey all! I've been slowly changing from being in a deficit to maintenance calories. My deficit was 1,200 daily goal and after about 2 months I had lost 11lbs. (From 135 to 124) extremely proud of this.

HOWEVER, I was very overworked and feeling weak due to the low intake and started to rest up and changed my settings to lose 0.5lb a week (still currently on these settings but allow myself to have a snack and not worried if I go over)

I go to the gym 6x a week consisting of two long haul cardio sessions, weight training and also HIIT.

During this recomp I've noticed I've gained an extra pound that I can't shift (not sure why, probably extra water).

Over the last week I've possibly had two days (Friday and Yesterday) where I've eaten approx 2,500 for the day; 1000kcal OVER target (going over due to having treats in the evening).

The rest of the days in between I've averaged at only 1000kcal consumption for the whole day (including workouts).

I've got 3 days before I jet off on holiday and can relax for a week;

Any tips and tricks on how I can tweak this habit and how to tailor my diet/workout between treats? (Mostly consisting of sugar)

I've noticed my body getting very overheated at night and stomach ache the next morning after a treat. About to head off for a fasted gym session and keep my nutrients up this morning to try and ease this.

Replies

• tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    In think you are over thinking it.. eat well most of time but have treats as much as u like. You workout enough u don't need to worry
  • HappieRosy
    HappieRosy Posts: 53 Member
    this isn't recomp... its an overly extreme cut by the sounds of things, with some bingeing and starving thrown in.

you might want to think about seeing a doctor before it gets too serious.

a couple of weeks at maintenance will probably help to, so your holiday is probably good timing.

Just wanna confirm there is no starving going on here otherwise I'd have no energy for all my workouts
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    HappieRosy wrote: »
    this isn't recomp... its an overly extreme cut by the sounds of things, with some bingeing and starving thrown in.

a couple of weeks at maintenance will probably help to, so your holiday is probably good timing.

Just wanna confirm there is no starving going on here otherwise I'd have no energy for all my workouts

Gross 1000 cals on a workout day is pretty much starving...
  • HappieRosy

I did say that was including my workouts...at least 3 solid meals a day with snacks in between, definitely not starved at all lol
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    You say you want to recomp, but what is your goal? If you want to maintain, why would you set your goal to lose 0.5lb per week? I'm just a bit confused.

Keep in mind maintenance is a range, so you will fluctuate anywhere from 2-5lbs from your lower weight, this is normal and all part of the process. If you are always concerning yourself with trying to lose that 1-2lb or whatever (which even you consider water weight) it is going to drive you crazy and your success will reflect that.

If you want to make progress recomping, you have to fuel adequately and accept the fluctuations. You should not feel weak and overworked, maintenance is the time to feel higher energy and be able power through those workouts compared to being in a deficit.

What works for me, I follow a flexible eating approach. I make sure to get sufficient protein and nutrient dense foods, but have treats in between.. I also plan higher calorie days on weekends so I can go out to restaurants/events. Eating this way makes me feel good and helped me reach my goals no problem.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member

And losing 11 pounds in 8 weeks when you're already around a healthy weight is also extreme.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

You'll likely be shocked how good your workouts actually are when you aren't in such an extreme deficit, when you have more energy.

Frankly right now you have nothing to compare to, so from your vantage point you are doing it as hard as you can.
    Which is true - in the weakened state your body is very likely in.

But get that deficit more reasonable, or eat at maintenance, and then you'll be able to see how well they go.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    edited May 2017
    My tip would be to have a more reasonable deficit on a daily basis and then work on moderation of sweets every day. If you allow yourself a sugary treat every day (which is easier to do with a more moderate deficit) then you'll be less likely to go 1000 calories over on any given day and make yourself sick at night. I know, easier said than done. Daily moderation takes practice, but it's worth it.

ETA...or maybe even better have no deficit. I'm not sure how tall you are, but depending on your stats it could be time to stop losing body fat.
  • HappieRosy
    AliceDark wrote: »

And losing 11 pounds in 8 weeks when you're already around a healthy weight is also extreme.

The weight I lost over 8 weeks was down to lowering portion size, healthy balanced eating and working out. Im obviously no longer losing weight that rapidly. 'Extreme' isn't how I'd describe it, just 'Progress' I worked damn hard for :)

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member

HOWEVER, I was very overworked and feeling weak due to the low intake and started to rest up and changed my settings to lose 0.5lb a week (still currently on these settings but allow myself to have a snack and not worried if I go over)

You say you aren't starving yourself but you also said you were feeling weak.

During this recomp I've noticed I've gained an extra pound that I can't shift (not sure why, probably extra water).

Over the last week I've possibly had two days (Friday and Yesterday) where I've eaten approx 2,500 for the day; 1000kcal OVER target (going over due to having treats in the evening).

The rest of the days in between I've averaged at only 1000kcal consumption for the whole day (including workouts).

Since you are in a healthy weight range, recomp should be at maintenance calories. Add 100 calories to each day every week- or every other week- until you get to maintenance. The scale may go up and that's ok.

The weight I lost over 8 weeks was down to lowering portion size, healthy balanced eating and working out. Im obviously no longer losing weight that rapidly. 'Extreme' isn't how I'd describe it, just 'Progress' I worked damn hard for :)

Yeah, losing 11 pounds, starting at 120something in 8 weeks is pretty extreme. With less than 30 pounds to lose, the recommendation is 1/2 pound a week.
  • HappieRosy
    Luna3386 wrote: »

You say you aren't starving yourself but you also said you were feeling weak.

Since you are in a healthy weight range, recomp should be at maintenance calories. Add 100 calories to each day every week- or every other week- until you get to maintenance. The scale may go up and that's ok.

Yeah, losing 11 pounds, starting at 120something in 8 weeks is pretty extreme. With less than 30 pounds to lose, the recommendation is 1/2 pound a week.

I started at 135 and lost 11 over 8weeks = 1.3lb loss a week, which has stopped.

I think you used the word 'starving' wrong here, as that is something that malnourished children who have no food are dealing with, or those who do not eat; not someone who is keeping active and constantly eating (which when done in a smart way can actually have a huge volume of food that is also nutrient dense).

I said I felt weak due to being overworked alongside losing the weight, which Is why I am slowly increasing up to maintenance.