Going to the gym...actually terrified

Options
This morning I am heading to the gym for the first time and I'm genuinely terrified. I have no idea why, it's irrational. Maybe I think everyone will be laughing at me or judging me for being so huge, I know I shouldn't care and I should just focus on what I'm doing but.....aaaaahhh!!!
Has anyone else felt the same? How did you get over it?

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I was so intimidated going into the weights section. I hate cardio and really wanted to start lifting.

It was awful at first, but you soon realise everyone is there to focus on themselves (either in the mirror or exercise) and they don't care.

Just wipe down machines when you are done with them and no one will care!

• Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I had this thought about people judging and laughing too before i went to gym.
    In reality though, everybody there has once been in exactly the same situation.
    Also, odds are that there are people there, who are in much worse shape or doing even more mistakes than You in your first time. And nobody laughs, points fingers or judges. Actually it's usually opposite. I have found people are either very understanding and helpful in gyms, or they don't care/pay attention to You at all, as said above.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Its not like PE at school! I found people are mostly concerned with themselves and their fitness (or lack of it). If you find the gym too daunting is there a little local class you could go to until you feel more confident, like zumba or something, where its more about having fun than being perfect?
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I get my headphones on, get in , do my thing, get out. Everyone else there is also doing there own thing as well. After a few times the anxiety should subside. Go get it!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Gym anxiety is pretty common. As pointed out, you will likely find a couple of friendly folks but mostly people just wrapped up in their own routines. Morning before work can really be zombieland.

After you've established yourself as a regular, you may start getting a nod of recognition now and again from the other regulars. The regulars know most people will soon quit.

To succeed at long term weight loss you have to find and travel your own path. Going it alone at a new gym, when you are not in shape is a great start.

Sometimes you just gotta be tough.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    This morning I am heading to the gym for the first time and I'm genuinely terrified. I have no idea why, it's irrational. Maybe I think everyone will be laughing at me or judging me for being so huge, I know I shouldn't care and I should just focus on what I'm doing but.....aaaaahhh!!!
    Has anyone else felt the same? How did you get over it?

I no longer use a gym as I prefer to save the money and build up my own gym at home, but when I did use one and that mindset creeped in, I would put in my earphones and crank up some motivating music. For the most part as mentioned above people will pay you little to no attention and you will likely see people of all shapes and sizes when you get in there, it's not all perfect makeup, stick thin gym bunnies and massive weightlifters.
  • RobinBSS246
    RobinBSS246 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hurray for no mobs or gym induced trauma lol!!! It's just as much your gym as it is there's, enjoy!
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The spotlight effect is real, and it sounds like what you were anticipating. Whether you stumble for no apparent reason while walking, or feel yourself surrounded by muscle-heads at the gym, or are struggling through your first Zumba class ... it can feel like the world is watching, judging, and laughing. Probably not, but it can still feel like it. As you discovered, most people were just doing whatever they were doing, and likely not paying much attention to anybody else. Glad to hear that you feel good about it, because that will help you want to do it again. Eventually, it will become a habit. Who knows, maybe somebody you'll see somebody looking extremely hesitant and you'll help ease their concerns.

Good on ya.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I figure most people are like me at the gym. I have an hour where the only thing I need to do is lift. I don't need to worry about anything else. I get to listen to music I won't necessarily let my kids listen to. It's me time. I barely notice other people, only really to stay out of their way.

Glad you went!
  • Murdroc
    Murdroc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It helps me to remember that everyone is at a different part of their journey. Many have been right where you are, and it's more than likely they'll internally give you a thumbs up - IF they even pay attention! I'm always mentally giving high fives and thumbs up to those who have the courage to go to the gym and work on their bodies. =) If your thoughts can get in the way, I'd agree with others and say to have music to keep your mind off of everyone's thoughts and keep you on track/focused.
  • jmitch6491
    jmitch6491 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When it all comes down to it, keep your head held high.You are in the gym for one reason: to get HEALTHY. So if you feel like someone is judging you, just work harder, because they are jealous that you have the strength to come to the gym and...... GET IT ON!!!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Hooray for you. Like most things once you have actually got there it is not as intimidating as you imagine.

I find my OH's Christmas parties much more daunting than walking into a gym or class first time.

Cheers, h.
  • albertoleach1
    albertoleach1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I see people in the gym that are not ripped / trim / muscular, I think thats where we should be (I'm one of them). Better in the gym than on the sofa :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    When in the gym, you're usually surrounded by people who are equally terrified/intimidated and worried that everybody else is judging them. In the meantime, a lot of the people there who are in shape started exactly where you are, and are silently giving you a high five in their heads because they know how much good it's done them. And a lot of those people who are in shape are worried that they're being judged by other people who are even more in shape. Believe me, you're far from the only one in the gym with those fears and doubts.

Despite the horrible things that have been implanted in people's heads, you're not judged any more or less in the gym than you are in the mall, or a restaurant, or standing in line at the post office. For that matter, you're probably judged a lot less harshly at the gym than you are at neighborhood BBQs or Christmas parties at work!
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I still don't go in the second floor weight room at my gym! I just need to get one of the trainers to show me around - most places will do this free. I did pass a woman on the way out she had to be 70 pounds overweight. All I could think was - you go girl! The fact she was in the gym trying to change is an accomplishment. Most people just have headphones on and are too focused on their own workouts to be looking at everyone else.
  • guitartak
    guitartak Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Totally get it! The first day going back into the gym is tough, but once you push yourself to do it, it gets easier and you actually start to get hooked on it. Don't worry about others, jusr do it and you will start feeling great. I finally pushed myself and been 3 weeks working out 5 days a week , and it's starting to become 2nd nature like eating, brushing teeth, showering. You can do it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Working in the industry, people in the gym don't really care about anybody there except themselves and what they are doing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png