Cutting diet and training

Options
Few years after graduating I still hold the university fat..so time to start cutting.

I'm heading to the gym 5 days a week, go during my lunch break at work (coming to the end of my first week)

Now, firstly, food wise, what's the ideal stance for a good cut? Should I skip breakfast and have a protein shake prior to workout. Also what sort of workout should I concentrate on? Is it the typical cardio or can I mix things up with weight? So far I've been going a 10minute run at 7m/s followed be either weights or more cardio on bike or row.

I don't want to loose any muscle mass, which I'm worried about.

What's your opinion, what's worked for you?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd look at total calorie consumption over the day, everything else is personal preference.

Set macros and meal timing for things like adherence and maximising training effort and recovery.

Training wise get on a proper structured training program.

Cardio is up to you, it's a good way to increase calorie burn and improve cardiovascular health, but isn't necessary.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    zaz1992 wrote: »
    Few years after graduating I still hold the university fat..so time to start cutting.

I'm heading to the gym 5 days a week, go during my lunch break at work (coming to the end of my first week)

Now, firstly, food wise, what's the ideal stance for a good cut? Should I skip breakfast and have a protein shake prior to workout. Also what sort of workout should I concentrate on? Is it the typical cardio or can I mix things up with weight? So far I've been going a 10minute run at 7m/s followed be either weights or more cardio on bike or row.

I don't want to loose any muscle mass, which I'm worried about.

What's your opinion, what's worked for you?

Thanks in advance.

How much weight are you looking to lose? If it's a small amount you could consider recomposition instead of weight loss, which would avoid losing muscle mass.

If it's a fair bit, eat in a small deficit (0.5-1lb per week loss rate), make sure you're meeting your protein amounts and get plenty of strength training in.