So, how many of you get 9 servings of fruit and vegetables a day?

Options
Gamliela
Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
I know when I heard the new advisory in UK to eat 9 servings a day I said I'd go for it. That was a few weeks ago. I worked up to it and have for the last week got consistently the 9 servings.
It agrees with me and I have more energy.

How about you?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it's 10.

I generally eat 1.5kg fresh vegies/fruit a day. If I was on higher carbs I'd probably eat more. (I shouldn't though, too much actually makes me feel like crap)
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Some people get a bloated stomach, hasn't been like that for me IDK why.

How is it that you "feel like crap" from eating a lot of fruit and veg?

Some people say they suffer from blood sugar issues. Is that it?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    I get gut issues - poor digestion, bloated, gassy. Looking 9 months pregnant with a painful rock hard belly is not my idea of a good time. Nothing to do with blood sugar.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    I am wondering why some people get that and others are finding they have more of a flat stomach. I am one who finds that added fruit is reducing my waistline. Even avocado and fruit or vegetables works ok.

What are you eating with the 1.5 k of plant foods?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I am wondering why some people get that and others are finding they have more of a flat stomach. I am one who finds that added fruit is reducing my waistline. Even avocado and fruit or vegetables works ok.

What are you eating with the 1.5 k of plant foods?

Lower calories is reducing your waist line.

Most days I eat a pile of zucchini, broccoli, and mushroom with eggs. Yoghurt with mixed berries twice a day. Salad of cos, alfalfa, sprouts, carrot, Beetroot, capsicum, celery, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado and baked pumpkin.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I'm less hungry when I do that, but it's hard for me... I just don't like veggies that much!
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The study really interested me and that, along with the research I've been doing on blue zones, led me to make some changes to my woe. I now eat 800g-1,000g+ of veggies and fruit a day, (mostly veggies because I don't really like fruit). Along with that I've also upped my consumption of whole grains, beans and fish and have reduced red meat and chicken.

I'm in maintenance and the changes have not affected my weight at all. I'm still eating the calories I need to stay within my maintenance window. And yes, the quantity of food I'm now eating causes some 'bloating' by the end of the day, but when I look at what I'm eating now vs what I used to eat-the actual amount is a lot more, and that food has to go somewhere while it's digesting. It doesn't bother me though because its just my body working like it should. I wake up with a flat stomach, which is the same as before I made the changes (my morning waist measurement is 25 inches).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    The study really interested me and that, along with the research I've been doing on blue zones, led me to make some changes to my woe. I now eat 800g-1,000g+ of veggies and fruit a day, (mostly veggies because I don't really like fruit). Along with that I've also upped my consumption of whole grains, beans and fish and have reduced red meat and chicken.

I'm in maintenance and the changes have not affected my weight at all. I'm still eating the calories I need to stay within my maintenance window. And yes, the quantity of food I'm now eating causes some 'bloating' by the end of the day, but when I look at what I'm eating now vs what I used to eat-the actual amount is a lot more, and that food has to go somewhere while it's digesting. It doesn't bother me though because its just my body working like it should. I wake up with a flat stomach, which is the same as before I made the changes (my morning waist measurement is 25 inches).

I get this too, and have no issues with it - I know the volume I eat is massive! When I overeat vegies though, I definitely have bloating that I wouldn't consider healthy or normal.... When I was in that position, I did think that more was better though, and was eating over 2kgs vegies, mostly raw.
    43501 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. I get about 2 - 3 serves of veg a day and fruit is highly variable because, in general, I don't like fruit all that much. I like berries and passionfruits as snacks when I can afford them, because both of those err on the expensive side where I live.

Looking at my diet, most of it is grain (cereal, bread, lentils and rice to be precise) and protein (chicken and eggs).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Traditionally I have been, often more. I'm trying to super low carb currently, so probably am more like 8 or so on average (no fruit, slightly smaller servings), and I actually feel a little better about it now, I think because my nature is to overdo and be obsessive so I was eating more volume-wise that I really wanted with the idea that more is always better and that I was a volume eater. (I currently feel much more satisfied with smaller volume, although not small, so I think I might have overestimated what a volume eater I was.) Whenever I start getting compulsive about a food thing I like to check myself.

I'm also really focusing on seasonal vegetables and fruits (although I eat a wider variety of vegetables), so that is one reason I'm good with less fruit now (nothing is in season). I'm sure that will change as the year goes on.
  • Gamliela
    Options

Yeah, same here. I reduced a lot of saturated fat too with avocado, more omega 3 etc. and the switch to 9 or 10 a day is making it even easier for me to reach my calorie goals everyday with no hunger. Seems a win win all around.

Grocieries seem a little heavier to carry, other than that, no probs. Well, maybe even carrying that extra weight could be a positive change. ;)

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Price is a factor too frankly. Fresh veggies cost an arm and a leg. I do buy frozen, but really, it's just not that tasty to me (unless it's the kind that comes seasoned with 100 extra calories lol).
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't really count the serves, but I eat at least a kilo of veg a day. No fruit though. Fruit is icky.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Price is a factor too frankly. Fresh veggies cost an arm and a leg. I do buy frozen, but really, it's just not that tasty to me (unless it's the kind that comes seasoned with 100 extra calories lol).

That's probably been the most challenging part of this for me-fitting in the additional produce on a small grocery budget, ($100 a week for a family of 5).
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

That's probably been the most challenging part of this for me-fitting in the additional produce on a small grocery budget, ($100 a week for a family of 5).

Honestly I had forgotten how expensive fresh produce has become in the states and canada. It used to be the least expensive food snd cheaper than more processed foods.

We still have low fruit and vegetable costs where I live in Spain, a lot of oranges grown here and bananas and nuts on the Canary Islands not far away.

That could be a factor in food choices. So what sort of foods are cheaper for you than fruit and veg?

• Gamliela
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Traditionally I have been, often more. I'm trying to super low carb currently, so probably am more like 8 or so on average (no fruit, slightly smaller servings), and I actually feel a little better about it now, I think because my nature is to overdo and be obsessive so I was eating more volume-wise that I really wanted with the idea that more is always better and that I was a volume eater. (I currently feel much more satisfied with smaller volume, although not small, so I think I might have overestimated what a volume eater I was.) Whenever I start getting compulsive about a food thing I like to check myself.

I'm also really focusing on seasonal vegetables and fruits (although I eat a wider variety of vegetables), so that is one reason I'm good with less fruit now (nothing is in season). I'm sure that will change as the year goes on.

Here its strawberry season! :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't really count the serves, but I eat at least a kilo of veg a day. No fruit though. Fruit is icky.

I like fruit (well, most fruit, some more than others), but I dislike how these kinds of things lump fruit and veg, probably because it's seen as easier to convince people to increase fruit than veg. I think vegetables are pretty crucial absent rare health issues. I think fruit is pretty optional and without my low carb thing I still probably wouldn't aim for more than 1-3 servings per day, with more like 8 or so veg (although I also don't count servings unless these kinds of things come up, I focus more on making veg a significant part of every meal).
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I eat several pieces of fruit and two big salads just about every day. Last night instead of salad I had a big plate of steamed greens. So one way or another I probably get more than 9.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat more than that. I am a volume eater and eat a lot of vegetables (about 80-90% of my plate) (no fruit) with every meal and snack. I get bloated by the end of the day, but back to flat by morning.