Just need to vent

Options
My weight has been stuck for a bit- about 4-6 weeks. It's not a plateau. I've been up and down on the scale. Mostly just severe water retention. I use HappyScale.

First thing to note is that I'm bipolar and am on A LOT of medication. Because of this my Pdoc had me on Metaformin to help keep the "weight gain" symptoms of the meds at bay. It's working. However, my dr and I have noticed that I have pmdd and it's sabotaging my weight loss. I've tried to track my period binges but I usually get so discouraged that I don't. I see my dr next week and hopefully we can tweak or add medications to resolve this issue. I've lost 50 lbs so far and am extremely proud of this. I have 20ish more to go. I'm doing it very slowly because I want it to last and make permanent life changes. Thanks for reading this!

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Congrats on yoir 50 # loss! Keep going on your weight loss, and best wishes with the doc.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss to date! Have you given any thought (yay for more medication :sarcasm:--but pregnancy is probably contraindicated with the other medications you're on anyways) to using birth control/hormones to regulate your periods? I know everyone is different, but with Mirena I have no periods--no cravings, no weight swings. There's also something like Seasonale where you would only have a period quarterly. Or even a micropill might just even out your hormones a bit and lessen the severity of your pmdd.
  • KristyDonovan
    KristyDonovan Posts: 67 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Congrats on your loss to date! Have you given any thought (yay for more medication :sarcasm:--but pregnancy is probably contraindicated with the other medications you're on anyways) to using birth control/hormones to regulate your periods? I know everyone is different, but with Mirena I have no periods--no cravings, no weight swings. There's also something like Seasonale where you would only have a period quarterly. Or even a micropill might just even out your hormones a bit and lessen the severity of your pmdd.

I have a copper IUD. Birth control didn't help in the past but I'm more than willing to experiment with whatever my dr recommends! New cocktails mean things change and it could help this time around. Although my medications render the pregnancy prevention mostly ineffective it'll be nice to know I will be even less likely to get knocked up :)
  • debisjazz
    debisjazz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 50 lbs loss! You are obviously very strong, and you will get through this hiccup!
    Wishing the best for you with your appointment.
    As an aside...I have Mirena as well, and it is wonderful! I know of others who have had issues, but i'm on my third without any issues.
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss! I also suffer with mental health issues and pmdd but all hormone contraception I've tried made me really depressed. Mirena didn't help too I had it taken off two months after I had it inserted. What has helped me was a natural doctor who made live blood analysis and I started supplementing with many things. For the pmdd B6 vitamin 12 days before my period. It has helped. Talk to your doctor. Good luck
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bluets2011 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your loss! I also suffer with mental health issues and pmdd but all hormone contraception I've tried made me really depressed. Mirena didn't help too I had it taken off two months after I had it inserted. What has helped me was a natural doctor who made live blood analysis and I started supplementing with many things. For the pmdd B6 vitamin 12 days before my period. It has helped. Talk to your doctor. Good luck

I also have PMDD and was going to suggest B6. It helped more than anything else. Hormonal birth control made me very depressed.
  • BuffingButtons
    BuffingButtons Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting and sharing! Hormones, especially PMDD, can be crippling! I had a roundabout with it about three months ago when my birth control medication changed from the brand name to the generic. That led me down a path of having to get on several other medications to balance PMDD. Now, I've dropped all of that and choose to pay $150 a month for the brand name to prevent PMDD. PMDD was terrible!

The best advice I have is to keep up the great work like you are doing. You've done great so far and continue chipping away at it. It's easy to get comfort from unhealthy foods (I know how you feel), but we both know it doesn't make us feel good for long.

Great job with seeking medical attention and working though/managing this.