Reached my goal weight but still feel too big

Options
Sam29a
Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
I did it!! It has taken me a year and almost 5 months, but today I finally hit 107 lbs. I've lost a total of 56 lbs since January 2016. I feel good and so much happier now, but still feel like I need to lose more weight.

I'd been abroad since February and returned this Tuesday. I ate very little and didn't have a scale to weigh myself, nor a full-length mirror, so it was a lovely surprise to see I'd lost 17 lbs whilst away.

Wherever I went, people commented on how slim I was, which made a lovely change, some telling me I looked so young, like a little girl as I'm slim. But throughout I felt I needed to lose another 10-14 lbs or so and now I'm back and know I'm at my original goal weight, I still feel fat. I don't want to get too thin either.

Anyone else felt this way once they reached their goal? I just thought I'd feel different - finally happy with my body, but that's not been the case.

92593565.png

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching your goal! How tall are you?
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I can't see pics, so I don't want to judge, but unless you're really short, I can't see 107 being too heavy. You have to be careful, it is actually not uncommon for people who've experienced a significant weight loss to become obsessed with the scale going down. It's very dangerous. If you are still not content with how you feel about your appearance, it may be time for some weight training and building muscle! As the saying goes, skinny girls look good in lingerie, fit girls look good naked lol. feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Sam29a
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching your goal! How tall are you?

Thanks. I'm just 5'2.

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    That is actually REALLY common, you are not alone. You still feel like the overweight you because your mind is still the same. It takes as much effort to see that you are at the weight you want to be at, as it took to lose said weight.

It may sound silly, but a nurse on an eating disorder floor said she encourages her mostly recovered patients to stand in from of the mirror and say something like "I am a great weight" Hearing it time and time again gets your brain to realize it. It's the same reasoning whey people believe something clearly untrue- because they keep hearing it.
  • Sam29a
    Options
    Rufftimes wrote: »
    I can't see pics, so I don't want to judge, but unless you're really short, I can't see 107 being too heavy. You have to be careful, it is actually not uncommon for people who've experienced a significant weight loss to become obsessed with the scale going down. It's very dangerous. If you are still not content with how you feel about your appearance, it may be time for some weight training and building muscle! As the saying goes, skinny girls look good in lingerie, fit girls look good naked lol. feel free to add me as a friend!

Perhaps that's it. I've lost weight through diet only really, although I've no major issues with loose skin, I could do with gaining some muscle and tightening everything up.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Sam29a wrote: »
    Rufftimes wrote: »

Perhaps that's it. I've lost weight through diet only really, although I've no major issues with loose skin, I could do with gaining some muscle and tightening everything up.

Moving to lifting weights would be a great transition. Instead of focusing on what the scale says, when you are lifting you can focus on hitting personal best. It's a great feeling. I'd start by increasing your calories by 100 calories per week - and if you are going to lift, add those in protein calories. Do this because our need energy to lift. Find a program: 5x5, NROLFW, Jamie Easton's live fit trainer, etc. To help you on this next part of your journey.
  • jamandcreamscones
    jamandcreamscones Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well done!

It's nice to hear something positive. Just be careful you don't lose too much. But congrats.