Same weight but I notice loss?

Options
I realized I needed to lose weight when my clothes starting fitting really tight, I had a stomach bulge I didn't have before, and my face looks a lot chubbier. I just started watching what I eat, walking a mile or two 3 times a week, and drinking lots of water about 3-4 weeks ago. I noticed my stomach already looks flatter, I'm seeing more curvature in my waist, and my clothes are starting to fit better, BUT the scale says I haven't lost anything. I doubt I've lost fat and gained muscle because I don't do any strength exercises. I'm confused?

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Take measurements. I've found them to be a better indicator of progress really. You may have lost fat and just be retaining a little water masking it on the scale.
  • jalapenopizza
    jalapenopizza Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of what I'm supposed to measure. My stomach and thighs? That's where I need to lose weight the most.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Although you are not strength training walking is strengthening and firming muscles. Great job :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I realized I needed to lose weight when my clothes starting fitting really tight, I had a stomach bulge I didn't have before, and my face looks a lot chubbier. I just started watching what I eat, walking a mile or two 3 times a week, and drinking lots of water about 3-4 weeks ago. I noticed my stomach already looks flatter, I'm seeing more curvature in my waist, and my clothes are starting to fit better, BUT the scale says I haven't lost anything. I doubt I've lost fat and gained muscle because I don't do any strength exercises. I'm confused?

how often are you weighing? The scale will fluctuate daily (hourly, by the minute too) due to water retention which can be caused by hormones, sodium intake, hydration, changes to exercise routine, changes to macros and some medication. Additionally weighing at different times of day can affect the scale due to food and drink intake and bladder & bowel movements.

If you're weighing sporadically you may have water retention masking your weight loss.

In terms of measurements you can take whatever you want - waist, hips, thighs, neck, arms. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1281

You can also take pictures from week-to-week and compare them.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    MFP offers to track measurements as well as weight. I've lost 20lbs, but only about 1 inch on my waist/hips/neck. Measuring weight is easier and changes faster. There's also quite a lot of uncertainty in tape measurements. Pull a little harder, and you can get a lower number!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

When and how often do you weigh? I ask because the scale can fluctuate daily and you need to be able to look at a trend. If your clothes are fitting better, you losing...you just might be weighing in on a "heavy day" where you're retaining more water or something. Are you weighing in at the same time and under the same conditions? Most people weigh in first thing in the morning before they've eaten anything and after they've eliminated waste.

Personally, I can be up or down 2-3 Lbs day to day. Yesterday I weighed in at 187.1, but I know that wasn't "real" as I know when I'm that weight my pants are pretty snug...I weighed 184.2 this morning which is in line with my overall trends.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do strength training to gain muscle. If you went from sedentary to walking regularly you could have gained a little muscle in your legs. Or you leg muscles could be holding more water with the increased use, so you lose water and/or fat in your midsection but carry a little more in your muscles. So the net weight is the same but your waist is a little smaller.