Plateau or something else?

Lovely_lily2003
Lovely_lily2003 Posts: 7 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been on a 1200 calorie diet for four months and I have lost 32 pounds so far. The last two weeks I have been between a couple of pounds and it's frustrating. I haven't changed my calorie intake and I can't figure out what to do. I was hoping for some suggestions on how to get things moving again???

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Patience.

If you open your diary, I'll do the math to see if anything's changed in your logged eating, if that would be helpful to you. But if you're confident that nothing has changed, patience is the way to go.
  • Lovely_lily2003
    Just made it public
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    OK, you have 45 days of consecutive logging; prior to that is too sporadic to analyze.

Calories and macros (after correcting for the Easter ham entries, which has enormously more fat grams than the calories or reality would cover) are pretty consistent. Your sodium intake increased 14% (nearly 400mg per day), and your fiber intake decreased 8% (down 5g per day).

So I vote that you have water weight retention and maybe some gastrointestinal slowdown. If you want to change something up, you might cut back on your salt a little and try to have some extra fiber.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited May 2017
    Probably not a plateau, but even if it was, you can't know in this short of time. Fluctuations in a single day can typically be much larger than fat loss in a week. You need more time to know.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    2 weeks isn't a plateau. Agree patience is definitely important, it could just be temporary water retention:

Where are you in your cycle?
    Have you made any changes to macros or exercise routines?
    Have you eaten more sodium than normal or had alcohol?

Also how close are you to your target weight? If it's 20lb or less consider reviewing your weight loss rate to 0.5lb per week.
  • Lovely_lily2003
    edited May 2017
    Actually the change happened during my last cycle which was about a month ago. No changes to macros or exercise. I did have a couple wine spritzers a week ago and I apparently have increased my sodium intake. I'm still about 65 pounds from my goal weight. Just frustrating to have this slow down. I hope it won't be a permanent one.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited May 2017
    all I know is I've been at 1560 calories 5/10 male for months and stuck at around 235 since December...I joined last May 17 and dropped from 269 in a few months at 1760 calories, then lowered to 1560 after I got "stuck"... but not complaining as I am not gaining. It's like 1560 is my maintenance now?? very odd so I guess this is a real plateau so it does happen. My reports I run show a flat line....
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    I have been on a 1200 calorie diet for four months and I have lost 32 pounds so far. The last two weeks I have been between a couple of pounds and it's frustrating. I haven't changed my calorie intake and I can't figure out what to do. I was hoping for some suggestions on how to get things moving again???

Not a plateau, just a lack of patience. We all suffer this malady at times. :)
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    You need to adjust your goal- after every 10-15 pounds lost. It will update your calorie needs. However, you started at the very lowest calories so you don't have much wiggle room.

But patience is needed.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    32# is a lot. Stop for a moment and be proud of what you've accomplished. Then, breathe and keep doing what you're doing.