Trying to learn to plan meals and snacks --- any meal/snack ideas that you love?

Options
mytime6630
mytime6630 Posts: 4,206 Member
I am reading the book, the Beck Diet Solution, to try and end the binging, and lose weight. I have learned so far the power of our thoughts, eating slowly, and eating only when sitting.
Day 8 assignment is to plan a week of meal, and snacks. This is something I have never been good at. My hubby and I work out of our home, so this should be easy, but we are so busy, I just kinda wing it --- and I think thats how I get in trouble. Frozen pizzas, hamburger, things easy to make.
So this week I am going to try and plan - not only meals -- but try and find some snack ideas.

Do any of you have some suggestions, and things you love to keep on hand for snacks, and also some great meal ideas?

Replies

• Spyritt
    Spyritt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My new favourite item is "flatout" wraps! The light version is only 90 calories and delicious! Use them for burritos (low cal of course) or quick lunch with arugula tomatoes and deli chicken or turkey!! I literally eat these everyday .. the other options for the flatout wraps are amazing as well.. I get them from "the low carb grocery" site and when they come I cut them in half and freeze them.. if they are not the light version I use half for each "meal".. even in half they are loads big enough.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Breakfast ideas: overnight oats, egg muffins (eggs mixed with veggies, cheese, etc - cook in muffin tins for portions), breakfast burritos, granola bars, yogurt, boiled eggs

Snacks - individual wrapped cheese sticks, granola bars, yogurt, fruit, veggies with laughing cow cheese or hummus, boiled eggs, protein bar or protein shakes.

Meal idea = crock pot meals, cook up lean protein and divide out. This week I browned some ground turkey with onion, garlic & shredded zucchini then separated into 4 servings. 1st I used for tacos. 2nd I added to brown rice with diced tomato. Last two portions I added 2 tbsp. chili sauce, 1 tsp or so of worcheshire, garlic power & onion (to each serving). Made turkey sloppy joes with it. Have to say, those turned out good.

You could cook up chicken same way for wraps, sandwiches, tacos, soups, toss in pasta.

Lots of ideas.

Click on the search at the top and do a search on meal prep. They're some great posts on the forum.

Good luck !
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My wife and I cook most meals. We get most of our ideas on Pinterest. We alternate cooking nights so on the weekends we figure out what we want to make during the week for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and make our shopping list and usually grocery shop on Sunday.

As snacks go, I usually have fruit or sometimes I take these little prepackaged things of almonds, dried fruit, and cheese...or individually wrapped white cheddar squares, etc. I don't do a ton of snacking though...usually a little something in the late afternoon/early evening because we don't eat dinner until around 8:30.
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite lunches is what I call Mexican Soup. I brown a pound of ground turkey, add a large can of rotel tomatoes, two or three yellow squash and two or three zucchini. Sometimes I'll add a hot pepper to add a little more spice. It makes five work lunches. Of course - you can add any other veggies that you like, this is kind of the base model.

For snacks you can boil and peel enough eggs for the week. Then they are there and ready whenever you are. If I get to the end of the week and have several left that I haven't used - I chop them, mix a little mayo/mustard/relish and have a simple egg salad sandwich (or wrap).

I've found a lot of ideas at skinnytaste.com.