Help needed with exercise routine for a week

Options
Hi I need help with an exercise routine? I go to the gym but find myself always doing cardio only I do use the resistance machines but just work my way around them. Was hope I g someone can help me make a routine for so certain days I do certain things. I'm wanting to tone up and shed fat as end goal it to be a healthy weight and size. I've looked on the internet but the routines are all really fit body building type people, not over weight rather unfit people. I no not to focus on one area but I really want my mum rum to reduce and the tops of my legs to shrink. I'm not expecting Miracles but any help I will be very greatful for.
TIA NATALIE

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Hi I need help with an exercise routine? I go to the gym but find myself always doing cardio only I do use the resistance machines but just work my way around them. Was hope I g someone can help me make a routine for so certain days I do certain things. I'm wanting to tone up and shed fat as end goal it to be a healthy weight and size. I've looked on the internet but the routines are all really fit body building type people, not over weight rather unfit people. I no not to focus on one area but I really want my mum rum to reduce and the tops of my legs to shrink. I'm not expecting Miracles but any help I will be very greatful for.
    TIA NATALIE

1. you can't spot reduce
    2. there's no reason not to do a routine just because the person is fit
    3. SL 5x5 is a good beginners routine
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    TIA NATALIE

you can't spot reduce fat, it does not work that way. Fat comes off from where it wants to come off. I would suggest eating in a calorie deficit, keeping your protein high, and getting on a structured beginner lifting routine like stronglifts 5x5 or all pro beginner routine.

Make sure that you learn proper form for the compound movements.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Most gyms give you something like 1-3 sessions with a personal trainer when you join. If you didn't take advantage of that already, now is the time! If you don't have that benefit, it's worth it to pay for a few sessions. Tell the trainer you want a progressive lifting program. Sure, you can get info from books or the internet, but nothing will beat hands on guidance.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    TIA NATALIE

Don't worry about the models you see in photos with the workout routines: Just look at the moves involved. If you can do those exercises, do them. They use cute fit-looking models even in exercise routines for overweight rather unfit people - it's just marketing. It helps people think the exercises will make them look like the models.

I was very active for a dozen years while obese, including competitive athletic activity (rowing). You just start at a place where you can start without feeling like you're going to injure yourself, and work hard (where "hard" is defined as pushing your current capability a bit, not some abstract objective kind of "hard"). Over time, you'll be able to work harder, work longer, go faster, lift more, or advance other objective measures of your workout.

IMO, the key thing is finding a routine you enjoy. When we enjoy things, we want to do them. When we want to do them, we do them more often. There's no point in a theoretically perfect exercise routine if we don't enjoy it so don't do it.

If you're wanting to do weight training, this thread is a good one:

Which lifting program is best for you
  • WannaBHottyMommy
    WannaBHottyMommy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Natalie, I feel the same way. For my personal sanity I'd rather have a routine to follow. Especially for how intimidating going to the weights are for me. Plus I'm so anti social when it comes to strangers I don't want to go over there in fear of people trying to small talk lol vs Cardio machines are very isolating. I'm gonna friend you if you don't mind.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Why not break the habit and talk to someone experienced in lifting? You got out of your comfort zone and going to a gym. Take the next step...see where this takes you.

@annpt77 posted an outstanding link. Start there, ask those experienced on MFP and ask around at your gym.