Those of you who have completed/more than halfway through C25K?

Options
2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    Thank you everyone!- the first two weeks were rough on me as my knees took a huge beating, but after getting good running shoes, and doing good stretching after, I can say I am able to get around and do daily activities like normal, so I know I'm not overdoing it and my body isn't sore... I do worry about getting sore though, I definitely push myself if I want to, like when I tried running the 5k with no training, which got me interested in this!
    What should I watch for when doing the workout, what are the signs that I need to slow my progress? I only run at a 4.7, which is up from my 4.5 the first two weeks so I'm definitely going slow!

Make sure you do a good dynamic warm up too. When I did C25K, I started with about 30 squats and 60 lunges, forward, back, and side. That really got my knees and muscles woke up. I also did the 5min walk either before or after the dynamic warmup.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    What should I watch for when doing the workout, what are the signs that I need to slow my progress? I only run at a 4.7, which is up from my 4.5 the first two weeks so I'm definitely going slow!

C25K graduate here.
    Trust the program. It won't ask you to run any time period that you aren't ready for.
    There's a "talk" test you can take to help you gauge whether you are running too fast for now. Speak a short sentence out loud. You should feel comfortable doing so. If the words are hard to get out, slow down.
    You'll learn to gauge your speed over time. As well, your speed will increase over time.

Always remember, when you look at the next run, the program won't ask you to run what you aren't ready for. You can do this. Just pay attention to your speed and don't be afraid to keep it slow.
    I can't remember what speed I started at but my finishing speed was 5K/hr, which I can now walk.
    Is your 4.7 "miles" or "kilometers"? It may be a bit quick for Week 2.
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I started a few months ago and made the mistake of going too fast (maybe 5.5mph - 6mph) which resulted in injury.

I can now run for 30 minutes without too much problem as I've slowed down a lot (down to about 4.8mph).

Don't concern yourself with speed as it doesn't matter, just focus on how long your running for and enjoy.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of week 5... I'm going back to week 4 day one for a couple reasons... mostly related to my running cadence and program goals.

1. my slow run is between 6-7 mph... closer to 6
    2. I'm more interested in running 1.5 miles than 3... although I'll get to the 5K

Interesting definition of "slow". 6 mph is 10 minute miles and 7 mph is 8:34 miles. Both of which are FAST in my book. 6 mph gets you 5K time to just over 30 minutes. and 7 mph is 26:34 for a 5K. Times many people strive for.

OP- C25K is not a race. It's a training tool. Go slowly enough for you to do the workout. If it was hard repeat. A session, or a week. Most of us have. If you can't sing "Happy Birthday" while running, you are going too fast. If you aren't enjoying the run, you're going too fast. Don't worry about speed. Speed will come with conditioning. That "slow", let's sing pace, will get gradually faster as your condition progresses.

I've never been able to run slower than 6 mph. If I hadn't spent a year getting deconditioned because I couldn't get a straight answer from my docs about what was causing my knee pain, and what the best care for it was, I'd be going a good bit faster... I also wouldn't be doing C25K.

I also can walk consistent miles at a 5+ pace.. so theres that.

But the thread really isn't about me...

stanmann571stanmann571

And here I am trying to get sub 30.

If your "slow run" is 6-7 mph, why is a sub 30 minute 5K your goal? Should be able to do that easy, no?

But, you're right, this thread isn't about you, it's about doing C25K. I just didn't want people to believe that you had to run 6-7 mph in the program. Much slower is in order.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of week 5... I'm going back to week 4 day one for a couple reasons... mostly related to my running cadence and program goals.

2. I'm more interested in running 1.5 miles than 3... although I'll get to the 5K

Interesting definition of "slow". 6 mph is 10 minute miles and 7 mph is 8:34 miles. Both of which are FAST in my book. 6 mph gets you 5K time to just over 30 minutes. and 7 mph is 26:34 for a 5K. Times many people strive for.

OP- C25K is not a race. It's a training tool. Go slowly enough for you to do the workout. If it was hard repeat. A session, or a week. Most of us have. If you can't sing "Happy Birthday" while running, you are going too fast. If you aren't enjoying the run, you're going too fast. Don't worry about speed. Speed will come with conditioning. That "slow", let's sing pace, will get gradually faster as your condition progresses.

I've never been able to run slower than 6 mph. If I hadn't spent a year getting deconditioned because I couldn't get a straight answer from my docs about what was causing my knee pain, and what the best care for it was, I'd be going a good bit faster... I also wouldn't be doing C25K.

stanmann571stanmann571

If your "slow run" is 6-7 mph, why is a sub 30 minute 5K your goal? Should be able to do that easy, no?

But, you're right, this thread isn't about you, it's about doing C25K. I just didn't want people to believe that you had to run 6-7 mph in the program. Much slower is in order.

Because I can't run 30 minutes sustained.. 18-20 is about the best I've ever done.. and I know it's because I can't slow down. What I really need to do is run with a tortoise... who keeps shouting slow down, stay behind me.

Much slower is in order, I just can't figure out how to get there. And yes, I can talk/sing at my pace...
  • pondee629
    Options

stanmann571stanmann571

Because I can't run 30 minutes sustained.. 18-20 is about the best I've ever done.. and I know it's because I can't slow down. What I really need to do is run with a tortoise... who keeps shouting slow down, stay behind me.

Much slower is in order, I just can't figure out how to get there. And yes, I can talk/sing at my pace...

Get a heart rate monitor and run to a heart rate, generally 60-70% of your max.
    That monitor will be your "tortoise" telling you to slow down. And if you can sing at your "slow" pace, you should be able to go more than 30 minutes. To build a base you gotta slow down. It's worth the effort.
  • stanmann571
    Options

stanmann571stanmann571

Get a heart rate monitor and run to a heart rate, generally 60-70% of your max.
    That monitor will be your "tortoise" telling you to slow down. And if you can sing at your "slow" pace, you should be able to go more than 30 minutes. To build a base you gotta slow down. It's worth the effort.

I know there's a little bit of a psychological factor. I've never had to run further than 2 miles so I never really cared to get there.

It's never really been a priority, 6 laps, 13 minutes, 45 Pushups 38 situps. Go back to life.

Now, at 41, It's for me, not for a test.. This upcoming test will leave me with 2 more before I ETS, I'll get there(5K). I'm doing(not running) a 5K tomorrow. Goal time for run/walk is 75-80.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
    No joke, I did my run today, first 4min one and when I got to the halfway part I thought "ugh this isn't fun anymore!" So looking back on some of your answers and the fact that I didn't find the joy I usually do in it, tells me I have to repeat that day! I was kind of bummed, it's the first time I didn't enjoy it as much as I usually have! 4min is going to be tough for me to break through!
    Thanks everyone for your advice!
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to run slower than 6 mph.
    I also can walk consistent miles at a 5+ pace
    I'm doing(not running) a 5K tomorrow. Goal time for run/walk is 75-80.

If you run at 6mph (10 minute miles), and walk at 5mph (12 minute miles), you can walk a 5k in 36 minutes.
  • pondee629
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »

If you run at 6mph (10 minute miles), and walk at 5mph (12 minute miles), you can walk a 5k in 36 minutes.

A leisurely stroll of 3 mph will get a 5K done in 60 minutes +/-. 15 minute miles (4mph, a brisk walk) gets it done in 45. 80 minutes for a 5K is 25 minute miles.
  • stanmann571
    edited May 2017
    Options

The last time I did an organized 5k it was 38:57... and I didn't run a step.
  • pondee629
    Options

The last time I did an organized 5k it was 38:57... and I didn't run a step.
    stanmann571 wrote: »

Then why is your current goal time 75-80?
  • stanmann571
    edited May 2017
    Options
    OOPS.. 10k

It's a unit fun/morale event No stress, no pressure.

SORRY!!!!
  • pondee629
    Options
    That makes sense. Enjoy the outing.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    That makes sense. Enjoy the outing.

Proofreading is the key to avoiding misunderstandings... Wasn't still I reread my comment I realized where I messed up.
  • Meggers120Now
    Meggers120Now Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am on my third try of the C25K program. The first time I started it was late fall and I used cold/crappy weather as an excuse to derail me. The second time I started, I got a gym membership so I could use the treadmill and remove the option of using weather conditions as an excuse to quit. I got to the end of week 4 and the muscles around my knee and thigh seized right up. I couldn't jog, let alone walk normally for at least 2 weeks. Derailed again. After my leg recovered, I would go to the gym once or twice a week and do some kind of cardio - elliptical or rowing machine usually. On April 26 I decided to start over again, however, since I had been working on my cardio, I decided to do the WK3 D3 interval and see how I felt. It was a bit of a challenge, but I was able to complete it so I just went from there with the program. I am doing WK7 D1 tomorrow and I feel great! Here are things that I've changed this time around that I feel have contributed to my success:

- I do 20 minute pre-run and post-run yoga practices I found online (I have a gaia.com subscription) and I exclusively run outside as I find that I have a very awkward gait on the treadmill. I think that both of these changes have allowed me to avoid my usual knee/muscle pain.

- I don't look at the run/walk interval timing before I do the next section. I use the active.com C25K free app and just trust that the intervals will be what they will be, the program works, and my body can handle whatever it is. This has helped immensely with overcoming the "mentals".

- I made a playlist of songs that I like that are in the 150bpm range to help me keep to a tempo that will both challenge me yet is sustainable over a longer period of time. Just listening to the music and focusing on just getting through the next song help with the "mentals" too.

- Now that I'm done with intervals, I have structured my route to be downhill for the last 10 min or so. Until I build my stamina up, this keeps me going. It's easy to tell myself to keep going because it is literally all downhill from the point my brain tries to trick me into stopping.

- One last thing that I have found to be the most helpful out of all of these things is taking deep belly breaths in through my nose and out through my nose when my brain tries to tell me that I can't breathe. I can breathe and if I concentrate on the slow in and out of my nose I calm down and keep on trucking.

Yesterday I killed 3.17km in 22 straight minutes of running. 3 weeks ago I was worried about how I was going to make it through 5 straight minutes of running. The program works. Trust it, trust yourself, and don't let those loser mentals tell you that you can't do it. You got this!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I am at week 4. I think using the app and just running when it tells me to and walking when it tells me to is super helpful. If I focus on time I need to run I psych myself out if I focus on just the music and doing as I am told I keep managing to do it just fine.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    - I don't look at the run/walk interval timing before I do the next section. I use the active.com C25K free app and just trust that the intervals will be what they will be, the program works, and my body can handle whatever it is. This has helped immensely with overcoming the "mentals".

There is something to this. I do look at the interval plan, but I try not to look at my watch while I'm in the interval. I will give myself permission to look when I have reached a point that I've decided in advance will take me close to the end of the interval (i.e., when I get to the bench just past this point the next circuit -- my route is a circuit around a lake and I know the landmarks pretty well). That helps a huge amount because it forces me away from thinking about time and when I do look, it's only a short time until the end of the interval. I've considered putting my watch away, but it's also my step tracker.

Also, as a general rule, if I'm able to complete the workout as scheduled, I move on to the next. I haven't loved all of the runs, but I think that the program does contemplate them being a challenge and likely to be somewhat uncomfortable, so discomfort alone is not my measure for not moving on.

That said, I'm finally doing the last run of week 6 tonight, after being sick (and I did repeat there, because I failed or missed workouts). No more intervals for me -- from here on out it's continuous runs. I anticipate it being hard but I also believe that I can do it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
    No joke, I did my run today, first 4min one and when I got to the halfway part I thought "ugh this isn't fun anymore!" So looking back on some of your answers and the fact that I didn't find the joy I usually do in it, tells me I have to repeat that day! I was kind of bummed, it's the first time I didn't enjoy it as much as I usually have! 4min is going to be tough for me to break through!

In that case, slow your pace.

I take it from your comment about speeds earlier in the thread that you're dreadmilling, rather than running in the real?
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!

In that case, slow your pace.

I take it from your comment about speeds earlier in the thread that you're dreadmilling, rather than running in the real?

Yes I use the treadmill, with my allergies I just cannot run outside without feeling sick, I do 0.5 incline and 4.7mph, I just don't want to have to decrease my speed too much since I already do a slow jog, maybe 4.5 next time and repeat that day