Fruit and sugar

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    mtek94 wrote: »
    IMHO dont track your fruits and vegies cos who has ever gotten fat from eatting fruit and vegies..

I disagree, fruits like apples are high in calories and if you consider dried fruits as a fruit, the calories content in those are extremely high.

Agreed. As I stated earlier, i regularly get 400 to 500 calories of just fruit. That is an entire deficit just in itself.
  • kellyfeb78
    kellyfeb78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of vegetables with my dinner so I always weigh and log them but will ignore the sugar now as long as it's fruit sugar not fatty sugar
  • tardis313
    tardis313 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers current program considers fruit and veggies to be free. I was double tracking here and on there and while the 2 cups of grapes I ate was free on WW, it was almost 200 calories and a bunch of sugar in reality. After that I decided I needed to be held accountable for everything, even fruit and veggies otherwise I'll go HAM and think it's fine and doesn't matter how much of it I eat
  • psuLemon
    Options
    tardis313 wrote: »
    Weight Watchers current program considers fruit and veggies to be free. I was double tracking here and on there and while the 2 cups of grapes I ate was free on WW, it was almost 200 calories and a bunch of sugar in reality. After that I decided I needed to be held accountable for everything, even fruit and veggies otherwise I'll go HAM and think it's fine and doesn't matter how much of it I eat

It's free on WW because WW sets calories fairly low. For my wife, it was 900-100 with only 15 lbs to lose.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    "Fatty sugar"?
  • kellyfeb78
    Options
    Yer like in sweets and ice cream
  • psuLemon
    Options
    kellyfeb78 wrote: »

Well those foods don't make you fat either, but they don't have as many nutrients as fruits and veggies. But they are definitely helpful in terms of compliance for some. The problem really isn't the sugar, it's the calories that make you fat. Even the best of foods can do that.
  • kellyfeb78
    Options
    I log everything I eat and drink I just wanted to know about the sugar in fruit as some days I eat a lot of it and my sugar goal was going over due to it but as someone said it's natural sugar and not something to worry and about too much. I've lost 2 stone since starting MFP so I'm doing OK
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I log everything I eat and drink I just wanted to know about the sugar in fruit as some days I eat a lot of it and my sugar goal was going over due to it but as someone said it's natural sugar and not something to worry and about too much. I've lost 2 stone since starting MFP so I'm doing OK

Definitely keep going. Just remember what is important is total dietary context. The biggest goal is getting adequate calories (especially from protein while you are losing weight) but also getting adequate nutrition. If cutting out treats helps you achieve that great. But don't feel bad if you want to incorporate them once and a while. Remember, this battle is more than just cutting calories. You want to address your behavioral and psychological aspects as well.
  • kellyfeb78
    Options
    That's my struggle at the moment, where my daily calories has dropped I'm finding it harder to cut back so going to the gym more to earn extra calories to munch on. Need to work on my will power next!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    That's my struggle at the moment, where my daily calories has dropped I'm finding it harder to cut back so going to the gym more to earn extra calories to munch on. Need to work on my will power next!

Anecdotally, I saw greater will power when I didn't aggressively cut calories (aimed for around 1lb per week or a bit less) and I incorporate small treats daily or almost daily. So in my case, restriction was worse than anything else.
  • kellyfeb78
    Options
    I've changed my settings from 2lb loss to 1 but still only on 1300 a day so unless I'm at the gym I don't move about much, fork truck driver at work so sitting a lot of the night and yes I work nights so I sleep during the day. Makes life quite complicated at times but I don't want to be fat anymore lol. I've started strength training too to assist with the loss plus always enjoyed weights
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

You mean they have fat and they have sugar?

Sugar is being blamed for the calories in fat now, super.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Sugar is sugar, but sugar is not a problem in and of itself. It's a problem if you eat so much of it that you go over calories (common with dessert type items if someone likes them a lot and is not logging, as they are easy to overeat, and this is less common with fruit, or when logging, of course). It's also a problem if you crowd out nutrients (again, not so much of a problem with fruit, since it has nutrients, but there are important nutrients not in fruit).

I'd say that I wouldn't worry about the sugar from fruit if I were (1) getting enough protein, (2) getting good sources of healthy fats in my diet (like nuts, avocados, olive oil, fatty fish), (3) getting a good amount and variety of vegetables, and (4) were within my calories.

For many people focusing on the sugar number is less helpful than making sure you hit other numbers and looking over the day to make sure it includes vegetables and not too many low nutrient sources of calories, depending on your specific goals.
  • kellyfeb78
    Options
    Just my way of explaining what I meant I didn't say anything about calories being in fat!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    But the sugar is not fatty. Those foods are high cal compared to fruit because they have sugar AND fat.

Comparison: cookie in my recipe box -- 200 cal, 14 g sugar (lots of calories from butter too)
    apple -- 80 calories, 16 g sugar.

The sugar isn't different (it's a mix of fructose and glucose, mostly, in both). Other things about the foods of course are.

(I'm not saying you should avoid apples and eat cookies or that an apple is a cookie.)
  • kellyfeb78
    Options
    My main goal is to not go over my calories and to hit the protein target which I can do now I've adjusted my eating habits but it's getting harder as my daily goal changes with weight loss that's when I started eating more fruit and found myself going over sugar goal
  • kellyfeb78
    Options
    It was just me trying to explain what I meant it was bad wording I know the difference between sugar and fat
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    My main goal is to not go over my calories and to hit the protein target which I can do now I've adjusted my eating habits but it's getting harder as my daily goal changes with weight loss that's when I started eating more fruit and found myself going over sugar goal

Eating lots of fruit can make it more difficult to hit protein on a low calorie target. (MFP's protein target on low calories can be too low, too.)

I wouldn't worry about the sugar target alone if it's mostly from fruit, but not because fruit sugar is qualitatively different, as it is not.