Metabolism Reboot

Options
Rumik
Rumik Posts: 86 Member
So, I think it's time I rebooted my metabolism. I've been dieting at between 1200-1700 calories for years, and seen very slow weight loss as a result. I'd like to start over, so for the next 6 weeks (I read it takes that long) I'm going to eat at my maintenance level (the calculators tell me 2000). So I'm wondering if I need to still hit my macro targets, and if anyone has any other advice for me?

many thanks :)

Replies

• khannickwechanged
    khannickwechanged Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing. I'm starting at 1200 and upping 100 at a time to eventually 1900. I do still aim to hit my macros. Protein is what I pay the most attention to. If you jump to eating at maintenance right away, you should probably prepare for the scales to go up a little bit at first if you weigh in regularly. That's why I'm doing it slowly, to allow my body to adjust to each amount for a week before upping again. :)
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group, and the 2013 support group. There are a lot of people going through metabolism resets and a lot of great advice there.

When I personally first increased my calories, I focused more on making sure I ate all my calories for the day, then I started to focus on one macro at a time; I found that if I aimed to hit about 100gms of protein a day my other macros fell nicely into place.

Best wishes
  • Rumik
    Options
    Bump - anyone else? :(
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Here is a scientific study on metabolic rate changes:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/5/941.full

"Results: Only 2% of the observed variability in BMR was attributable to within-subject effects, of which 0.5% was analytic error. "

So it appears you may be able to adjust you BMR by 1.5% or so...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

"Results: Only 2% of the observed variability in BMR was attributable to within-subject effects, of which 0.5% was analytic error. "

Thanks for the link:
    Consistent with previous studies (1–3, 42) the dominant factor influencing this variation between individuals was the extent to which the individuals varied in their FFM.

Probably the most important sentence in the study.....if you want to increase your BMR you need to increase you lean muscle mass (or FFM - fat free mass); in other words as you eat more calories lift weights!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Thanks for the link:
    Consistent with previous studies (1–3, 42) the dominant factor influencing this variation between individuals was the extent to which the individuals varied in their FFM.

Probably the most important sentence in the study.....if you want to increase your BMR you need to increase you lean muscle mass (or FFM - fat free mass); in other words as you eat more calories lift weights!
    Very true; adding muscle can change metabolism. But messing around with your diet to try to change your metabolism is very unlikely to have more than a very small effect and it may not even be in the direction you hope...
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    jumpstart or reboot?
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options
    I just started eating again at maintenance and I highly recommend starting to up you r calories slowly, I jumped in too it over night and I am uncomfortably full and feel like my body is back to where I started, even though it isn't.
    Just move slow with it!!!
    Also eat healthy don't just try to hit your calories.
    I'd pay attention to Proteins Carbs and Fat,
    keep the fats low and protein high.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great thread. Many people will benefit from info here.
  • Rumik
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone :)

Keeping my calories where they are for now, and focusing on macronutrients - 80g fat, 80g carbs, 140g protein. I'll see what effect this has after 30 days, and then possibly start upping my calories slowly if I'm still not seeing any changes.