Help! I am so confused about measuring...

Options
2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Do you mean the scale does not use ounces, or the food label does not? Most US food labels list grams where 28 grams is approx 1 ounce.

1 ounce fluid volume is not necessarily the same as 1 ounce by weight. It depends on the liquid. If the label lists milileters then use a spoon, and see how many grams it comes out to. It will probably not be far off 1 tbs = 15 ml. But some liquids are more dense, such as oils I believe.

Oil is less dense than water. That's why it floats on water (e.g., an oil slick, or oil separating to the top in a vinaigrette).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I measure by what is stated on the back of the label. My lactaid milk gives calories according to ml, my coffee creamer by tbs and g...so I put my coffee cup on the scale and measure ml and g. Anything like a dressing or sauce is usually broken down by gram...so I go by gram.

You cannot measure milliliters with a scale, unless you know the specific density of the substance that you're measuring and you do the calculations to convert. A scale that gives values in milliliters is only valid for water and substances with a specific gravity equal to water.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    With dressing, it offers a serving size in grams, which is easy on kitchen scales to correctly weigh. I'm actually thinking the majority of food things have a gram option, including your pizza sauce. If you want to go the ounce route, many scales will weigh in fluid ounces as well.

As I said, my dressing and sauce must be the only brands that don't list grams lol.