Getting past the taste of reheated chicken!

Options
CassieR6
CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
How do yall that meal prep who do chicken daily get past the tasted, smell, and texture it gets once it is chilled in the fridge then reheated? I just can't do it! If there is some trick I would love to know!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's never bothered me, so nothing to get passed.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options
    Are you reheating in the microwave? I don't like that flavor/smell. Reheat it in the toaster oven or on the stovetop instead.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Douse it in a lemon-white wine reduction sauce. :)

I have actually not noticed any adverse flavor, but my chicken is usually grilled and fairly flavorful, in a good way.

Rotisserie chicken I just eat cold.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If there is a flavorful sauce on it, I can microwave it. Otherwise it has to be heated up on the stove. I will only bring leftover chicken to work if it's something I can eat cold - I usually use it in green salads or pasta/grain salads.

There are very few leftovers that can't by saved by a little oil or butter in a hot fry pan, finished with a shake or two of hot sauce :drinker:
  • Tisa76
    Tisa76 Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you're re-heating in the microwave, wrap a damp paper towel over your plate or container and re-heat on the defrost setting. A bit of a pain in the *kitten* and it takes longer to re-heat, but I've found this doesn't dry the chicken out. Hope that helps :smile:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I reheat in the oven - takes longer, but oh, so much better.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you want you could add some water to it before reheating. In my experience nothing really can help it too much aside from what the person above said reheat it in the over or skillet.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I don't reheat it. Would rather eat it cold than that horrible smell
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Don't reheat it??
    I like my leftovers cold on top of salad or add some mayo or Greek yogurt or even sour cream & maybe some dill & green onion for cold chicken salad. Or just add salsa to it & plop into a tortilla!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    This is so interesting. My husband really doesn't like re-heated chicken either! I honestly can't tell the difference, but he has always had a better sense of taste than me. Thanks for posting this, I'll see if he prefers it reheated these ways.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i'll add some salsa, mustard or ketchup and try not to heat it up too much.
  • Stationagentjules
    Stationagentjules Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just barely reheat my smoked chicken breast. Maybe 30 seconds max in the microwave. Less is better when it comes to reheating cooked chicken.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Chicken is a dish best served cold.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I boil chicken and then cut it or shred it. That's the only way it isn't gross when you reheat it. Adding seasoning to the water when it is boiling helps too.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how chicken is reheated, it tastes awful and smells even worse, so I eat my leftover chicken cold.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Not a problem for me.

Can eat it cold by itself or as a topping for salads or reheated in the microwave (low and slow) or added to soup or pasta cold just b4 serving which warms it up w/o drying it out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat leftover chicken cold, unless I re-purpose it for a soup or pasta dish (with the pasta I might very quickly reheat it in a skillet).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm planning to have for dinner some leftover chicken with a celeriac-based mock potato salad, and it will be cold.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Right now I'm planning to have for dinner some leftover chicken with a celeriac-based mock potato salad, and it will be cold.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

On my way!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eat it cold.
    Heat it on the stove or oven instead of microwave.
    Put it in a dish like soup or a casserole.