EKG results "borderline abnormal" but good BP 122/74?

Options
mhlew
mhlew Posts: 377 Member

For the past several days I have had what I think are anxiety/nervousness/subtle adrenaline type symptoms- kind of like butterfly's but in my chest. I have not had any chest pain or tightness but feel it is anxiety to do some recent passings of family members and my roommates dad just died which brought on slight grief feelings. I think this is maybe stress/anxiety related.

With that said - I have been feeli better the past 1-2 days and I thought to put my mind at total ease I would drop by my local urgent care to have my vitals checked. They checked my BP which was good (122/74) breathing was good, they drew blood, and I had an EKG. Doctor gave me 81mg bottle of aspirin as well.

The printout from the EKG results were "borderline abnormal" and the doctor noted the pulse rate (58 Bpm) was low in her opinion (normal 60-100) and said nothing appeared urgent and suggested I visit with a cardiologist. Well his has sent my anxiety through the roof. I have a scheduled appointment with a cardiologist tomorrow at 10:45am but can something be seriously wrong?

Aside from needing to lose weight- I feel in general I am in good health. I am active at work as a field sales rep, and I excersize 3-5 days a week. I'm a 34 year old male.

What throws me off is I had great BP results but my EKG is borderline abnormal? Anyone who has gone thru this I would appreciate a response in your experience as I am feeling pretty nervous and anxious and have to wait until tomorrow for the cardiologist appt.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If something was seriously wrong you'd be in the hospital hooked up to a bunch of machines. Last EKG I had was abnormal despite everything else looking fine. Turned out I had anxiety and an infection in the lining of my chest. Anti-anxiety meds and antibiotics fixed it.
  • mhlew
    edited May 2017
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If something was seriously wrong you'd be in the hospital hooked up to a bunch of machines. Last EKG I had was abnormal despite everything else looking fine. Turned out I had anxiety and an infection in the lining of my chest. Anti-anxiety meds and antibiotics fixed it.

Well that does make me feel better. I have always tried dealing with anxiety naturally (working out, eating better, play with dog) but maybe it might not hurt to get anxiety meds just to have if I have an anxiety/panic episode.

I think if I just had peace of mind from the doctor that my borderline abnormal was nothing to worry about then I'd be fine. This is half the battle lol

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are so nervous and anxious, but there's no use borrowing trouble. Just relax until you see the cardiologist. You could ask your roommate to check on you every few hours through the night to make sure you're still conscious, if that would make you less worried.
  • mhlew
    Options
    I'm sorry you are so nervous and anxious, but there's no use borrowing trouble. Just relax until you see the cardiologist. You could ask your roommate to check on you every few hours through the night to make sure you're still conscious, if that would make you less worried.

1). She moved alto be with her mom.

2). I think your comment made my anxiety even worse

3) even thought I'm anxious I don't think I'm dying but your comment still sucked haha

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I had something similar happen except I was told that my EKG indicated that I had already experienced a heart attack. I was fairly stressed with this news. I was sent to the cardiologist to have a heart echo done. It came back normal. The cardiologist said that it was probably a faulty EKG reading.

I know that it is useless to tell you not to stress but until you see the cardiologist worrying solves nothing. If there is a problem at least you will find out before it gets worse.

Do you drink a lot of caffeine? I did have fluttering in my chest a few years ago. It was related to how much caffeine that I was drinking...which was a lot. I switched to 1/2 caff and caffeine free coffee and have had no further problems with it.

Good luck tomorrow!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    mhlew wrote: »

1). She moved alto be with her mom.

2). I think your comment made my anxiety even worse

3) even thought I'm anxious I don't think I'm dying but your comment still sucked haha

I'm sorry. If you're not worried something bad is going to happen to you between now and the time you see the cardiologist, there's no point in worrying. You should have more information soon that can be the basis of fruitful consideration and planning.
  • mhlew
    Options
    Hi Annie,

Since I've had these anxious feelings that started Saturday evening I have not drank any coffee. I usually drink 1 cup of coffee every morning but just putting it on hold this week.

My friend who's an ER nurse I texted him my print out and he said more than likely nothing to worry about but I'm such an anxious person in general haha. Thanks for your feed back and experience and glad it worked well in your favor
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Anxiety attacks will also cause these types of symptoms. Many years ago I went through a traumatic experience. I had never had anxiety attacks before and I thought that I was having a heart attack. I went to the doctor and he gave me some medication and over time they went away.

I agree with your friend...probably nothing especially since you have gone through some recent events. It is worth having checked out though.

Breath deep...think positive thoughts...do something to keep your mind of it until tomorrow.
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I can relate to what you are experiencing. 2 years ago my sister passed away and shortly after my mom passed. A few months later, I was having problems sleeping and experiencing palpitations without any chest pains. . I was referred to a Cardiologist and I had all the cardiac workup. ekg, labs stress test etc. She even wanted to start me on low dose aspirin which my regular MD advised against.All tests were neg.
    Being overweight, I was advised to lose wt, and exercise and had cardiology follow up every 6 months for the 2 year.I am proud to say that I have lose 33 lbs for year and hope to meet my goal by Sept. I also go to the gym 4-5 days a week.
    Most athletes and people who are extremely physically active usually have a slower pulse rate and that can be normal. I am no longer seeing a Cardiologist. Cut out/down smoking and caffeine if you do indulge. Good luck!
  • sophie7591
    sophie7591 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm such an anxious wreck I was avoiding commenting here lol. I'm going through a similar situation. I went to a general DR last month after not seeing a Dr for years. I already suffer from heart palpitations for over 20 years. Whether I drink caffeine or not. And I was still drinking it. So they did an EKG and it came back borderline. First time that happened and I freaked out. I have anxiety issues since I can remember. So anyway, that same day I made a drastic lifestyle change. I'm eating healthy now. Down 21 lbs already. My cholesterol is going down etc.

So the cardiologist wasn't concerned about the borderline reading. But he did say it is probably minor damage that has been there for years. And he doesn't expect it to get any worse. So I had an echo last week and today I had a stress test on the treadmill. Right at about 5 minutes in I had an embarrassing panic attack. I literally freaked out. And had to get off. I felt like I couldn't breathe. But the cardiologist said I was doing fine and the EKG he was looking at while I was on the treadmill looked good. He said I'm out of shape and that he's going to help me. But he didn't give me the complete results of the stress test. For that I have to wait until the first week in June.
    So of course being me, I'm going to panic until I see him again. sigh-
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    "Borderline abnormal" means nothing. Was this interpretation by the doctor or generated by the ECG machine? Most likely it just means a T wave anomaly--and those are usually benign unless you actually had a heart attack at one point. At your age that is highly unlikely (NOTE: I also have an "abnormal" ECG--mine comes from years of endurance training. I keep copies of my ECG from when I was 30 years old that have the same "abnormality" to show to doctors now so that they don't freak out).

Blood pressure and ECG have no relation--having a "good" B/P or "good" ECG has no bearing on the other.

The symptoms you have are very common for someone having a so-called "stress" or "anxiety" attack. Sometimes these reactions can be a one-off response to a life event, sometimes they can be more chronic. They can be stressful when they occur, but usually have no long-term health significance. There have been a couple of threads on the topic on MFP and there are quite a few people who deal with this condition (including myself, for 22 years).

I am glad you were able to get a cardiologist appointment so quickly. Many people have to suffer with the uncertainty for days or weeks before they are able to get in. When it first happened to me, I sat alone in my apartment for 5 days holding a phone with my finger on the 911 button.

The cardiologist may want to do some follow up diagnostics, like a 24-hr Holter monitor (tracks heart rhythm) or a stress test. They often do this just to rule things out and make sure nothing is missed.

Good luck.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Get ready for more tests to identify the issue such as a heart rate monitor or even an echocardiogram or even lovelier a TEE. Sounds like you have a good doctor concerned about the issue.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You know what borderline abnormal is?

It's perfectly fine. You're ok, and the proud owner of the world's most expensive bottle of baby aspirin. Now lift something heavy.
  • mhlew
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm trying to calm my nerves and this support group is amazing.

I feel confident anxiety is my main issue and the 58bpm on my EKG that made it borderline abnormal I'm trying to not worry about so much.

I am hoping the doctor sends me off saying to to worry too much about it

Other then feeling anxious I feel physically fine and enjoy working out. Recent lost 10-12 pounds in the past month and looking to lose a lot more!
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you didnt know what your bpm was before you cant stress about it being 58 now. Mine is usually between 55-60, perfectly normal for me, just like my blood pressure is normal for me at at 120/60. Because I know what my normal is I know if a result is abnormal, but you first have to know what normal for you is.

BTW I am not an athlete, its genetic. My dad is nearly 70 and his is still about 60bpm as well.
  • mhlew
    Options
    Well I am not athlete but do workout what I would consider to be regular (3-4 days a week) sometimes 5

I sure hope it's a normal, because like I said other than having what I feel is anxiety I have never had chest pains or anything like that so hope this is all just anxiety.
  • mhlew
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    "Borderline abnormal" means nothing. Was this interpretation by the doctor or generated by the ECG machine? Most likely it just means a T wave anomaly--and those are usually benign unless you actually had a heart attack at one point. At your age that is highly unlikely (NOTE: I also have an "abnormal" ECG--mine comes from years of endurance training. I keep copies of my ECG from when I was 30 years old that have the same "abnormality" to show to doctors now so that they don't freak out).

Blood pressure and ECG have no relation--having a "good" B/P or "good" ECG has no bearing on the other.

The symptoms you have are very common for someone having a so-called "stress" or "anxiety" attack. Sometimes these reactions can be a one-off response to a life event, sometimes they can be more chronic. They can be stressful when they occur, but usually have no long-term health significance. There have been a couple of threads on the topic on MFP and there are quite a few people who deal with this condition (including myself, for 22 years).

I am glad you were able to get a cardiologist appointment so quickly. Many people have to suffer with the uncertainty for days or weeks before they are able to get in. When it first happened to me, I sat alone in my apartment for 5 days holding a phone with my finger on the 911 button.

The cardiologist may want to do some follow up diagnostics, like a 24-hr Holter monitor (tracks heart rhythm) or a stress test. They often do this just to rule things out and make sure nothing is missed.

Good luck.

The EKG print out said "borderline abnormal" and that's when the doctor said it looks like cause I had a slow heart beat (results said 58 Bpm) and advised that I see a cardiologist for a further look, but said this is not a medical emergency.

I was just thrown off that literally 5-10 mins before the EKG I had a good BP reading of 122/72. Even though she told me it's not a medical emergency I have just been anxious still.

I'm 34 never had a heart attack or heart issues or any of that. I do admit I don't visit the doctor enuff for regular check ups but really focusing on my health and been meaning to do this anyways but just having a bout with anxiety this week and hoping it's nothing else.

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I had one abnormal EKG, and the rest have been normal since then. It could be a fluke like mine was. I've been told it's common. It's worth getting checked out just in case, but don't worry too much.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    We have a saying in the medical field "treat the patient, not the monitor". Ekg machines are notorious for giving bad "interpretations". I have had perfectly normal EKGs have the monitor say they are abnormal. I have also had horribly bad EKGS that require a STEMI alert (a certain type
    Of heart attack seen on an EKG) have the monitor say "normal EKG".

It is very possible that the "abnormality" is just because the rate was 58. A heart rate below 60 is considered abnormal in most patients. Those who are athletes or exercise a lot can have a lower heart rate that is perfectly normal for them. Some people also just have abnormally low rate.

Anxiety can present with very physical symptoms. Might be beneficial to see someone so you can talk out some of that anxiety.