Vegan & Vegetarian Recipes

Options
2»

Replies

• ElicitDreams
    ElicitDreams Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love making meat free foodstuffs. Here are a few of my favorites that I have quick access to:

~~~~~Eggplant free ratatouille
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 large red onion (cut into wedges)
    3 large yellow squash (sliced)
    2 cloves crushed garlic
    1 large green pepper (chopped)
    3 large zucchini (sliced)
    14 oz canned crushed tomatoes (undrained)
    1 large red pepper (chopped)
    2 fl oz white wine
    Directions

Heat oil in a nonstick pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion is golden.
    Add to the pot the green and red peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, and the canned tomatoes along with your favorite spices and herbs (Bay leaves, dried parsley, basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper, etc). Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

~~~~~Crockpot curry lentils

1 serving low sodium veggie broth
    1 large red onion, diced
    1 tsp curry powder
    1 cube chicken bouillion
    4 cloves garlic
    3 1/2 cups water
    12 oz dry lentils
    Directions

Add all ingredients into crockpot. You may add more or less water on how soupy you would like yours. (I used 4.5 cups, and it came out the consistance that was very close to dhal)
    Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.

~~~~Spinach Loaf (I love this for breakfast)

3 servings low fat cottage cheese
    4 large eggs
    4 oz cheddar cheese
    3 cloves garlic
    16 oz spinach
    1 cup chopped red pepper
    Directions

Drain spinach well. Mix all ingredients together. Salt and pepper to taste.
    Spray baking pan and add mixture.
    Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until done

~~~~~Quick black bean tacos

2 extra thin yellow corn tortillas
    2 tbsp black beans, mashed
    2 tbsp shredded Mexican cheese
    1 second olive oil cooking spray
    2 tbsps salsa
    1/8 cup shredded lettuce
    Directions

Spray hot skillet with olive oil.
    Place 1 corn tortilla on to skillet and spray with olive oil. When tortilla starts to brown, turn it over.
    Add half of the mashed black beans just barely off center and fold in half. Move taco off to the side of the skillet and repeat the process for the 2nd tortilla.
    When the 1st side of the taco is brown and a bit crispy, turn taco over. Taco is done when 2nd side is brown and crispy. (Note, this isn't a "crispy" taco like you'd eat at, say Taco Bell. The corn tortillas are still soft, slightly chewy, and have a tiny bit of a crunch to them.)
    Add a tablespoon of shredded cheese to each taco, along with salsa and lettuce before serving.
    Note: 1 serving is 2 tacos. These are really good with a little bit of sour cream added and also with brown rice.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    What are panko bread crumbs?

They're Japanese bread crumbs I think, they're really light and crispy and are typically used for breading fish.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    What are panko bread crumbs?

They're Japanese bread crumbs I think, they're really light and crispy and are typically used for breading fish.

Thank you :)
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    VEGETARIAN CHILI

1 ½ cups cooked kidney beans
    1 ½ cups cooked pinto beans
    1 can Dakota Pride Mild Chili Beans (my secret weapon-only thing I buy at Aldi’s)
    1 onion, diced
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
    2 ½ cups water
    1 tblsp chix bullion powder (vegan)
    1 tblsp chili powder
    1 tblsp garlic salt
    1 tblsp cumin

Bring everything to a boil and cook until onions and peppers are soft – about 15 minutes.

Makes 8 (1-cup) servings

Ratatouille. Dice & saute up in a tablespoon of olive oil:

1 eggplant
    1 zucchini
    1 green pepper
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic, minced

Once everything is getting fairly cooked, add in a can of diced tomatoes with juice and a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. Season with salt & pepper, basil and parsley. I like to toast hoagie buns, load them with this, add (vegan) mozzarella and put under the broiler for just a minute - until the cheese is melted. YUM!

Avocado Tofu Sandwich

Baked Tofu: Press & drain 1 block firm tofu. Cut into 4 "patties". Brush on mixture of soy sauce and liquid smoke, then sprinkle on garlic powder, salt & pepper. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Flip and bake additional 15 minutes.

Avocado "mayo": Mash 1 avocado and combine with 1 T red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and parsley. Use this in place of mayo.

Serve in a pita with a slice of tomato.

Very Veggie "Spaghetti"

2 Tbsp Tuscan Herb Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or regular EVOO)
    1 Onion, diced
    10 oz jar sliced Mushrooms
    2 large Zucchini, shredded in food processor
    2 large Carrots, shredded in food processor
    2 cloves Garlic, minced
    1 can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce, no salt added
    1 can (15 oz) Diced Tomatoes, no salt added - DO NOT DRAIN
    2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
    2 Tbsp Flaxmeal
    1 Tbsp dried Basil
    1 Tbsp dried Parsley
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    Nutritional Yeast (optional)

I like to use my julienne peeler and make a huge mound of raw carrot "pasta"...then I top it with my very veggie sauce. Sometimes I like to julienne both carrot & zucchini. YUM!

Devilish Chick Spread:

3 cups drained chickpeas
    1/2 cup mayo (I make my own vegan version)
    1 tsp curry powder
    1 Tblsp prepared yellow mustard
    1 Tblsp lemon juice
    3 Tblsp fresh chives

Pulse everything together in the food processor until blended.

Three Bean Salad:

1.5 cups cooked kidney beans
    1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
    2 cups cooked green beans
    1/2 white onion, finely diced
    1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced

Dressing:

2 T olive oil
    2 T apple cider vinegar
    parsley, salt & pepper to taste

Mix dressing, stir in beans, onion and bell pepper and let marinate for at least 2 hours.

Quinoa Veggie Plate

Ingredients
    1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
    1 cup water
    1 tsp vegan chix bouillion (optional)
    1 cup frozen green beans
    1 cup frozen cut carrots
    1 cup frozen peppers and onions

*Sauce:
    1/3 cup tomato sauce
    1/3 cup diced tomato with juice
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning
    1 tsp dried minced onion
    Dash of garlic powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste

1 tsp Nutritional Yeast**
    Sprinkling of Adobo Seasoning

Directions
    Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add vegan chix flavored bouillion, if desired. After boiling, stir in rinsed quinoa, lower heat to medium low, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until quinoa is semi-translucent.

While quinoa is cooking, steam green beans, carrots, peppers and onions for 12 minutes.

For sauce, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, dried minced onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper and heat on stove for 5 to 10 minutes.*

To plate, divide quinoa onto two plates, top each with half of the veggies and sprinkle on Adobo seasoning. Divide the tomato sauce and pour over each plate and top each one with 1/2 tsp of nutritional yeast.**

Tips
    *To speed this up, you can substitute your favorite pasta sauce for the sauce recipe.

Baked sweet potato with the following topping (ingredients listed tops 2 sweet potatoes):

Combine 1/4 cup beans (red, black, white, pinto...your choice), 1 diced tomato, 1/2 diced onion, 1 tablespoon ground flax, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 tablespoon lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix it all up and top the sweet potatoes.

I usually just stab the potatoes with a fork several times and microwave them for 10 minutes and they turn out perfect!