Slimming world vs doing it alone

Options
What does everyone think of slimming world vs trying to lose on your own

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You have to eat less/move more no matter what method you choose, and it's you who are doing it, and there is no try, only do.
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who have done slimming world, but only one who has lost weight and kept it off, she does that by continuing to use slimming world throughout maintenance.

I like counting calories, there's literally one rule, consume fewer calories than you burn, lose weight.

That said, with mfp you are doing it on your own, and at times it can be really tough, so if you prefer the support of a group setting then slimming world might be the better option. But know that if you want to keep the weight off you will probably have to stick with it for life. But many people here are well into maintenance and still counting calories, I imagine when I reach goal I will too, you have to decide which method you can live with.

Or try a combination of the 2, slimming world looks to have some great recipes, there are definite advantages to the group sessions, but from what I understand there is a lot of bad advice floating around, and the rules of the plan I could easily see being detrimental to someone who can put a lot of food away. If you attend slimming world while also counting calories you might get the best of both worlds?
  • emers82
    emers82 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I now do both but up until a few weeks ago I was only doing Slimming World and I struggled, I was up and down the same few lbs for months. I started back tracking calories a few weeks ago (while still sticking to the SW principles) and I have lost 7lbs in 3 weeks so I would say tracking is of utmost importance if you want to lose weight. HTH
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Loug1983 wrote: »
    I know a few people who have done slimming world, but only one who has lost weight and kept it off, she does that by continuing to use slimming world throughout maintenance.

I like counting calories, there's literally one rule, consume fewer calories than you burn, lose weight.

That said, with mfp you are doing it on your own, and at times it can be really tough, so if you prefer the support of a group setting then slimming world might be the better option. But know that if you want to keep the weight off you will probably have to stick with it for life. But many people here are well into maintenance and still counting calories, I imagine when I reach goal I will too, you have to decide which method you can live with.

Or try a combination of the 2, slimming world looks to have some great recipes, there are definite advantages to the group sessions, but from what I understand there is a lot of bad advice floating around, and the rules of the plan I could easily see being detrimental to someone who can put a lot of food away. If you attend slimming world while also counting calories you might get the best of both worlds?

I have to disagree that in doing MFP you're doing it alone, I have a fantastic bunch of accountability buddies here. I wouldn't have stuck at it this time without them! I also use a weigh in group here to stay accountable week in, week out.

I have nothing personally against Slimming World, Weight Watchers, etc but I've yet to meet anyone who kept the weight off using their plans. I just couldn't justify spending money on something that teaches me nothing when it comes to actually going it alone, when you can do it for free and learn better eating habits.
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your personality, I have some great friends on here who post lots of motivational statuses etc, but I have trouble making friends face to face, reaching out to strangers over the internet when I'm having a bad day and wanting to throw in the towel completely is not something I'm inclined to do. I know people who have made some real friends at slimming world groups so in that respect it has something to offer.

Ultimately it just goes to show that it's down to who you are as a person and what you will find most beneficial.
  • amandabrookshaw
    amandabrookshaw Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to not eat rubbish when i feel down i really over eat on sweets and fizzy drinks
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on plan back in the old green and red days. Never went back

Calorie countings much simpler
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to not eat rubbish when i feel down i really over eat on sweets and fizzy drinks

Avoid keeping them in the house, or buy small treat size packs. Find something else to distract you when you're down, like going out for a walk or a hobby of some sort.
  • alynxx2016
    alynxx2016 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree find treat size packs or slim fast do some great chocolate bars for 95 cals a bar. Just eat in small portions and record all calories as much as possible.