Creatine Kinase levels

Z_I_L_L_A
Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
Heavy workout hi reps for 2-3 hours raised my levels to 488. Normal levels are below 150. Anyone have stories about Rhabdo or high CK levels? I know mine wasn't high enough to cause Rhabdo. Just curious.

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Do you supplement with creatine also? How soon after the workout did you have blood taken?
    Both can cause increase. That's why I've had to remind my Dr. that I supplement and given him some literature to read.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    No supplements. Just a brutal workout. Took blood test 4 days after workout.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    That seems odd (I am not a Dr.). You have baselines from previous tests?
    What the Dr. say?
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    CK level goes up when you out. I had it go up to 280 couple years ago from hard long work out. Went down slowly over a week or 2. Plus probably didn't drink enough water. Same as this time.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    CK levels can also spike after an injury. Mine jumped to over 1000 a couple of years ago with a complex meniscus tear.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    CK levels rise when there is muscle damage, such as heavy workout.

Most cases of rhabdomyalosis that I have seen (from excessive working out, being left laying on the floor for hours after a fall or from prolonged seizure) the CK has been like >20,000 ish.

Cheers.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    You're not close to rhabdo, but if you're concerned, stay hydrated, and consume carbs - ideally glucose - throughout your workout, to prevent muscle breakdown. Progress slowly in training volume each week. :+1:
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Yeah, I know I wasn't close to Rhabdo. Found out the Amlodapine I was taking was keeping my heart rate at 90 just standing but with a pre workout drink and heavy long workout don't go together. Back on Lisinopril HR at 65 standing. Had allergic reaction to Amlodapine after workout. Been drinking a gallon of water a day and electrolytes hoping to clean the system up a little.