Ugh

healthypelican
healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
I'm in such a mess.

Went from 125kg to 105kg. Now, I'm back up to at least 117kg. My fat clothes are feeling too tight. I barely got on a jacket that was too big for me six months ago.

I don't know what to do, this is so fricken hard. I'm sick of this.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2017
    You know how to lose weight, because you obviously did it to lose 20 kgs. Then you stopped. Sadly it takes constant commitment and effort (mental as well as physical) to keep losing and then maintain your loss. (I wish it didn't too, trust me - I would be back to overweight in a matter of weeks if I didn't put some focus every day in to monitoring and controlling my food)

Start again, one day at a time.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    It sucks, I know. Bright side: you're 117 not 125 and you already have the experience to do it again. You also have something invaluable, knowledge of what made you regain. It helps you understand your own issues and strengths and develop strategies to amplify your strengths (what helped you lose 20 kg) and deal with issues (what contributed to your regain).

Don't think of it as starting from square one. You're a different person now because you have different knowledge and you are capable of using what you learned to do things differently this time around.
  • KimSLWelling
    KimSLWelling Posts: 4 Member
    You can do it. I've been on the weight gain, loss yoyo. I understand. It's hard. But don't wait for a health crisis like I did. Have faith you will loose again. You can do it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    What methods were you using to lose the weight? What changed when you got to your goal?

It's easier to keep the weight off if you are building habits you can continue after the weight is gone. Sustainability is more important than speed.
  • healthypelican
    usmcmp wrote: »
    What methods were you using to lose the weight?

1. Had a personal trainer who pushed me quite hard. Meet him for an hour and a half a week, and occassionally went to the gym outside of that.
    2. Walked my dogs for 2 hours a day, most days
    3. Had the same meal plan for each day of 1800-2000 calories. It was boring, but at least it was predictable.

That being said, my weightloss was slow, and I cheated a lot (although a lot less than I do now). I typically had whatever I wanted for dinner (meat + 3 veges in whatever variety), and cheated by having salt & vinegar rice crackers 1 or 2x a week.

I don't know if I could go back to that. I have been having lower back pain, and I hate exercising while I am unfit and having to push myself. Walking the dogs is okay, but they misbehave and it stresses me out. Not keen on eating the same thing every day, but I guess I could work out the macros and make like six options for each meal so I'm getting the same calories every day?
  • healthypelican
    VS Now

-Hitting up the supermarket for caramel/coloured popcorn, diet coke, dip, salt and vinegar chips
    -Having hot chocolates at school with my friends
    -Maybe walking for 20 minutes 2 or 3 times a week
    -Skipping meals
    -Drinking lots of milk
    -Drinking a full 2L of diet coke about once a week
    -Having Burger King or McDonalds 2-3x a week
    -Having a family meal from Pizza Hut like once a month
    -Hiding food because I don't want people to judge me
    -Having wheatbix with milk and 2 teaspoons of sugar
    -Sleeping heaps
    -Pulling all nighters up to once a week
  • healthypelican
    What I've changed in the last three days-

(I'm actually sick with a bad cold at the moment).

-Got a chocolate donut after exercising, gave half of it to my mum, instead of eating it in secret and being scared of being found out
    -Went out for dinner with the family last night, skipped the soda, stopped eating when everyone else did. Ordered a medium pizza instead of a large. Said no to chips. Had half a piece of chocolate cake with someone, let them eat the icecream. Gave at least a third of my pizza to my family.
    -Taken the dogs for 2 two hour walks
    -Planned to go to the trampoline park once or twice once my cold clears up
    -Been drinking slightly more water
    -Went to McDonalds, and ordered a coke instead of a diet coke (since diet coke has less calories, but it actually worse for you...)
    -Tried to eat more vegetables
  • usmcmp

-Went to McDonalds, and ordered a coke instead of a diet coke (since diet coke has less calories, but it actually worse for you...)

This is actually untrue and the news articles that are talking about a study saying artificial sweetners cause weight gain twist what the studies actually say. If you want a regular coke fit it in your calories. Trying to justify having extra calories with inflammatory news articles that don't accurately represent the studies is going to end up burning you in the long run.
  • usmcmp
    It sounds like you made unsustainable changes. You don't have to eat a boring meal plan or abuse your body in the gym with a trainer for 90 minutes. You do need to figure out what changes you can make and keep doing for the rest of your life.