Last film you saw

Options

Replies

• born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Watched Hell or High Water on the weekend. Was surprisingly good. Same director as Sicario and full of similar social commentary.

Also watched Locke. It's a very quiet film, prolly not for everyone. Middle-agers invested in their family and career should find it compelling enough though and you can't go wrong if you like Tom Hardy.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    Umm... Mrs. Doubtfire
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I just watched Contact for the first time ever and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Now my YouTube history is full of space stuff, like 'Here's what happens if you get too close to a neutron star' (you die) or 'Here's what happens if you pour a bucket of water on the sun' (you die). They aren't quite holding my interest.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    I just watched Contact for the first time ever and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Now my YouTube history is full of space stuff, like 'Here's what happens if you get too close to a neutron star' (you die) or 'Here's what happens if you pour a bucket of water on the sun' (you die). They aren't quite holding my interest.

watch:

MV5BMjIxNTU4MzY4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzM4ODI3MjE@._V1_UY1200_CR69,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    @Motorsheen I have seen Interstellar, and I really enjoyed it. I also liked the one with Sandra Bullock but can't think of it. I remember being surprised it got bad reviews. But let's face it, I watch the majority of my cinematography on YouTube. I'm not fussy.

@MeeseeksAndDestroy upload iiiit. It's the only one I haven't seen yet.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    @heidishmidi

that would be "gravity" w/ Sandra Bullock

imho - some films demand the big screen (I'm fussy like that)

• Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    @heidishmidi

I watched it on my phone on the most bare-bones international flight ever :frowning:

yeah, big movies need a big, big screen, and big sound.

examples: Alien, Blade Runner, 2001, Inception, Avatar

*disclaimer:

I'm a complete film snob and very opinionated on the subject. I studied film criticism in college and it stuck.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    @heidishmidi

@Motorsheen Oh, I definitely watched Gravity in 3D on the big screen. Probably why I enjoyed it so much.

• caco_ethes
    Options
    @heidishmidi

I watched it on my phone on the most bare-bones international flight ever :frowning:

Ack! With all the spinning and flying satellite shrapnel, I would've been a goner watching it on a flight.

• Motorsheen
    Options
    @heidishmidi

*disclaimer:

I'm a complete film snob and very opinionated on the subject. I studied film criticism in college and it stuck.

That reminds me I wanted to see the new Alien movie. I don't watch many movies.

it was the last film I saw at the theatre

it was good (not great, but good)

yeah, go see it

anything by Christopher Nolan or Alejandro Iñárritu (who is the best working director today, imho) needs to be seen on the big screen.

We saw Inarritu's film, Birdman, on a big screen with the soundtrack stripped out of it. The musician of the soundtrack, Antonio Sanchez, played the soundtrack live during the screening of the film. It was mind blowing, at least to me.

*Birdman won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2014, and deserved it.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    @MeeseeksAndDestroy I've got a new YouTube video for you. :joy:

https://youtu.be/xuCn8ux2gbs
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    An old movie and I enjoyed it. It was the Cadillac Man with Robin Williams
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    @heidishmidi

*disclaimer:

That reminds me I wanted to see the new Alien movie. I don't watch many movies.

it was the last film I saw at the theatre

it was good (not great, but good)

yeah, go see it

anything by Christopher Nolan or Alejandro Iñárritu (who is the best working director today, imho) needs to be seen on the big screen.

We saw Inarritu's film, Birdman, on a big screen with the soundtrack stripped out of it. The musician of the soundtrack, Antonio Sanchez, played the soundtrack live during the screening of the film. It was mind blowing, at least to me.

*Birdman won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2014, and deserved it.

I like to consider myself a bit of a film connoisseur as well but Birdman escaped me. It was very much like Black Swan in that I could see it was a well made film about a subject that does not compel me. I have no particular affection or appreciation for the ballet or the theatre. I think these films are both highly lauded by insiders and, had I a greater love of live theatre, I might have been more impressed with Birdman. As it is, it was mostly lost on me, the end in particular. I'm sure it doesn't help that I really don't care for Michael Keaton either.

If selecting films to watch based on director, I recommend: Rian Johnsonn (Brick, Looper), Gareth Edwards (Rogue One, Monsters), Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labrynth, The Devil's Backbone), the Cohen Bros. (so many worthy films--love, love them all), Darren Aronofsky (Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain), Neil Marshall (The Descent, Dog Soldiers), Alphonso Cuaron (Children of Men)
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,540 Member
    Options
    I watched Fury last night

Fantastic movie!
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,540 Member
    Options
    A Dog's Purpose. Pretty good movie.
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    @MeeseeksAndDestroy I've got a new YouTube video for you. :joy:

https://youtu.be/xuCn8ux2gbs

If all education was like this i would have done better in college. "Some get hot and explode, some get got and explode WITH PASSION"