Is it wrong to miss my little cousins graduation?

Options
weightloss_acc
weightloss_acc Posts: 109 Member
She was born several palsy and she is going to walk across the stage. But I don't feel like going

Replies

• JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    No it's just a cousin
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmm.....................
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Graduations are boring but meaningful to some people. I have attended several I didn't want to go to because of family duty. I have also missed some because they were farther away or there was a conflicting event.
    You can do what you want. You skipping an event like this may or may not cause bad feelings though.
    Do you live nearby? Are you close to her or is it a more distant relationship?
    Are a lot of other family members likely going?
    Would you attend a celebration after the ceremony or send her a gift/card?
  • mechell007
    mechell007 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I will not attend a graduation ceremony (or wedding, or baby shower, and so on..) unless I am close to the person, family or not. That's me though.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is a joke relating to some other thread that I've missed, if it is, just ignore me. If not and it's a genuine question then.... What?! You don't "feel" like going? Your cousin is, with (I presume) cerebral (not several) palsy going to make the effort to walk across stage for her graduation and you aren't so utterly bursting with pride and love that you are contemplating not going? I'd be the first person through that door to get a front row seat and I'd clap so loudly I'd be bursting eardrums!! In fact even if it was a friend's cousin, I'd be doing the same!

I have to agree slleask the cousin only graduates once. I can see it if you don't get along with cousin and your not close to them... just think of what your missing.. it completely up to you and what you choose to do..

• LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    That's for you to decide. But you won't be able to have this day over again. So don't ever regret not going to see her. If your asking me, I'm going to tell you, you better go and see her walking across that stage.
  • weightloss_acc
    Options
    I didn't see my little sister graduate and we are close I feel it would be wrong
  • tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Lol this is a joke ....
  • bufnitzoiu
    bufnitzoiu Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I really and sincerely don't care:)))))
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    So what important activity are you going to do instead? Personally I would support family if I had an invitation to the event.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,541 Member
    Options
    She was born several palsy and she is going to walk across the stage. But I don't feel like going
    Which means you don't feel it's important. Your choice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Why are you asking random strangers on the internet? This is something to discuss with your family.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    You mention her cerebral (I assume) palsy as if it is part of the issue.

Do you not feel like going because you don't want to watch her walk across the stage (ie embarrassment because of the awkward movements)? Or perhaps she was in special education classes and you don't feel like it's a real graduation because she didn't do the "traditional" route?

Or is it that this is an accomplishment for her to walk for graduation, but you still don't feel like going anyway?

Why is it that you don't feel like going? Are you two close? Or do you feel like you were pushed to be with her because of her disability? Long distance or easy day trip? You have other plans or just don't wanna?

Or perhaps you have social anxiety and this is giving you stress. (Hey, that's a legitimate concern too).

With the amount of information you gave, I would say that it's probably at least inconsiderate to not go just because you simply don't feel like it. Go, support her, and be happy for her. If there are mitigating circumstances you haven't shared, then having more information would lead to a better answer.
  • turkey2swan
    turkey2swan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Only you can decide if this decision is right or wrong for you and your life and relationships.

When I am concerned if a decision I'm about to make is right/wrong for me I ask myself a question:
    Will doing/saying/attending/eating/etc this make ME feel good?

If the answer is yes, it is the right decision.
    If the answer is no, usually this means just don't do it. *

**There are caveats though...if you struggle with something like anxiety/depression or are basing your choice off some else's feelings then something else could be causing the "No" - like fear or doubt, so if it is ever a no, try to re-evaluate and adjust(if necessary). So if it is an answer based on fear/doubt you can make it align with your pursuit of happiness.

An example for me would be, signing up for a meetup.com hike and spending the entire week prior, worrying about going and telling myself it wouldn't make me feel good - it was a no...The morning of the hike I knew it was my anxiety telling me NO...I pushed through and went. It was really a YES and I had a great time.

I wish you well! Follow your YES!
    -Em
  • weightloss_acc
    Options
    I have social anxiety and don't like being in crowd. Family is making me feel like I have to be their
  • weightloss_acc
    Options
    I work tonight at 11 pm