How to lose "love handles"?

Options
I've always struggled with them, and even after working out for 9 months, I just can't get rid of them. Should I start incorporating cardio? My concern is that I'd lose what I gained with my glutes. Thanks everyone!towb592waawx.png

Replies

• Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I would gladly take your "love handles." You may want to look into the "recomp" advice on these boards. I have no clue about it though.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Hit them with diet and lifting hate.
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose love handles is to get lean all over. You can't "spot lose". If you aren't doing cardio, toss in a couple of interval sessions a week. That will ramp up your fat burning.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

1. eat at around 250 calorie deficit
    2. intake .8 to 1g per pound BW of protein to preserve muscle mass
    3. do what the above recommended cardio

good luck
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    I would gladly take your "love handles." You may want to look into the "recomp" advice on these boards. I have no clue about it though.

@Enjcg5
    Recomp is just eating at or around maintenance calories and training hard.
    Results in the simultaneous losing of fat and gaining of muscle.

Most commonly done by those who are at their goal weight. People like me in fact!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, unfortunately you can't spot reduce fat. I would keep a small deficit, protein up and continue lifting to keep the muscle you have built in the glutes. You can do some cardio for health and to help keep you in deficit.

What have you been doing for those 9 months? Are you recomping, cutting?
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I really don't see much of a love Handle. Some of it may be just how your hips round out. Sometimes it's the way your clothes fit.

Otherwise, you may choose to cut but you can't control where the weight comes from. With a small deficit and heavy weights you should be able to preserve the muscle.
  • jbitakis
    jbitakis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What love handles? What exercise routine did you do to make your glutes bigger?
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@Enjcg5

Most commonly done by those who are at their goal weight. People like me in fact!

Thanks! I am 15lbs to goal weight. I will look into that! Can you point me to a beginner thread so I can read up in it?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@Enjcg5

Thanks! I am 15lbs to goal weight. I will look into that! Can you point me to a beginner thread so I can read up in it?

@Enjcg5
    Here you go - lots to read!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1