Unsure about what to do

Options
2»

Replies

• imwichya1
    imwichya1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Did your first two weeks show large losses? It's pretty common to see a sort of mini-stall on week 3 after a big initial loss. If you are confident you are tracking your food intake and calories accurately, perhaps lay off the scale for a whole week instead of every other day. Seeing no results when you are doing everything right can be mentally defeating. The losses will resume!

I don't think it was anything large. 1st week I dropped 4 lbs. The stall has lasted for 13 days. I will try to layoff the scale and only weigh in once a week. Thank you.
  • imwichya1
    Options
    bluets2011 wrote: »
    Im Just starting in this journey so I don't understsnd much. And if you're working with a PT they'd know more, but what weight loss target have you set at MFP? 3250 calories a day seems a lot for someone wanting to lose. I see you are eating much less than that though. Good luck in your journey. Patience and logging is what we can do.

I have it set to drop 2 lbs per week. 3250 is correct. That's why it's been frustrating. I'm creating 1000 calories deficit per day on top of the 20% deficit the app creates. Thank you and good luck to you as well.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    OP, always remember too that if you are truly in a deficit and your weight does go up (all of ours does at times), it is not possible for it to be fat. It's not a satisfying thing, but fluid retention happens to all of us (even us guys - I can go up 3-4 pounds in a day - I can also go down 3-4 pounds in a day. There is no physical way I'm gaining or losing that much fat in a day).

Keep that deficit and you will lose fat.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @imwichya1 The first thing to know about 'stalls' in weight loss is to be patient. The CICO numbers are highly accurate on time scales of 4 weeks, but not on time scales of 1 day or 2 weeks. At the '1 day' scale, variables such as sodium intake, emotional stress, poop frequency and volume, hydration level, furthermore and so on, cause wide swings in scale weight as water, the most important thing in you, responding to all those components of you, sloshes in and out of you under the rubric "water retention". At the '2 week' scale, all of the above plus muscle injury from the variety and intensity of your exercises has similar wide swings in scale weight as water sloshes in and out of you dealing with those intermediate-term items. At the '4 week' scale, all of the sloshing in and out of water for all the reasons has compiled what can be described as a moving average. The way you use this knowledge is to stay on this program for at least 4 complete weeks. At the end of 4 weeks, look at your Progress charts of weight on the 30-day scale. There's still a couple of blanks but it won't matter. You'll see your weight on the first day and you'll see your weight on the 28th day. You'll see a difference. If the 28th day number is smaller than the 1st day number, congratulations you're doing it right. It's going to take time. Be patient. If the 28th day number is larger than the 1st day number, you do have a problem which only you can address. We can suggest that you pay attention to measuring and recording things. Only you can do that. We can suggest that you fire your trainer. Only you can do that.

Having myself used this site to write the truth about the weights and measures about everything I eat for 16 months to lose 104 lb, I know that you've found the one resource you need. Use it.

• imwichya1
    edited May 2017
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    Message me, it's not allowing me to message you

@sunsweet77 , I tried to message you and received a system error.
  • imwichya1
    Options
    @imwichya1 The first thing to know about 'stalls' in weight loss is to be patient. The CICO numbers are highly accurate on time scales of 4 weeks, but not on time scales of 1 day or 2 weeks. At the '1 day' scale, variables such as sodium intake, emotional stress, poop frequency and volume, hydration level, furthermore and so on, cause wide swings in scale weight as water, the most important thing in you, responding to all those components of you, sloshes in and out of you under the rubric "water retention". At the '2 week' scale, all of the above plus muscle injury from the variety and intensity of your exercises has similar wide swings in scale weight as water sloshes in and out of you dealing with those intermediate-term items. At the '4 week' scale, all of the sloshing in and out of water for all the reasons has compiled what can be described as a moving average. The way you use this knowledge is to stay on this program for at least 4 complete weeks. At the end of 4 weeks, look at your Progress charts of weight on the 30-day scale. There's still a couple of blanks but it won't matter. You'll see your weight on the first day and you'll see your weight on the 28th day. You'll see a difference. If the 28th day number is smaller than the 1st day number, congratulations you're doing it right. It's going to take time. Be patient. If the 28th day number is larger than the 1st day number, you do have a problem which only you can address. We can suggest that you pay attention to measuring and recording things. Only you can do that. We can suggest that you fire your trainer. Only you can do that.

Having myself used this site to write the truth about the weights and measures about everything I eat for 16 months to lose 104 lb, I know that you've found the one resource you need. Use it.
    Thanks @JeromeBarry1. I need to be patient and have faith in the process.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If you want to continue regular weighing, consider using a weight trending app like Happy Scale (iPhone) or Libra (Android). Keeps me sane looking at the overall trend going down. Good luck to you!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in with no more advice than everyone has given other than to root you on and tell you to stick with it. You have a long journey, and this is just the beginning. If you are committed to logging your food and measuring it accurately, you will lose weight. You can do this and you will do this. Maybe even don't weigh yourself at all for a while and focus on building the weight management skills and confidence in eating at a deficit. Go, you!
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Great advice in this thread. Tracking a variety of progress indicators is very helpful for your sanity. I recommend using a year as your primary time frame then breaking it up into quarters. It's also wise to track them in an organized way. Here's what I have my Clients do every Sunday.

1. Pictures (front,back, side)

2.Circumference measurements

3. Smart Scale measurements ( this scale takes 10 different measurements body weight being 1 of them) https://www.amazon.com/Yunmai-Premium-Smart-Scale-Composition/dp/B01C6E2YSI/ref=sr_1_10_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1495503922&sr=1-10&keywords=Smart+scale

4. Sleep

5. Blood work quarterly or twice per year

6. Nutrition plan adherence

7. Workout plan adherence

In addition to this, they have 3 progress assessing gym workouts the last week of every month.

Every quarter we do a review and compare all the data to the previous quarter. At the end of the year we do a big review comparing it to the beginning of the year. I found this makes progress tracking clean, efficient and fun.