Replies

• levicrouch
    levicrouch Posts: 99
    Options
    This just in... life causes DEATH!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Intelligent posts cause cancer and toxic build up of TEH TOXINZ!!!

(Hence people will avoid this one like the plague, it's the only possible answer.)

ZOMG, must get my juicer and Detoxinz immediately!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I wish instead of jumping on the fear bandwagon the media would educate people on the importance of a balanced diet and a healthy mind instead. Many people lived long happy lives and have enjoyed cookies too.

The problem is that this doesn't sell newspapers just like publishing a book that said "eat less, move more" wouldn't sell very many copies.

We live in an era where two things have happened. First, we expect immediate gratification (which also explains many of the social and economic problems we have, but i digress) secondly, it seems the vast majority of people lack critical thinking abilities; we accept what so-called experts tell us and slavishly follow the advice of celebrities etc etc.

I could go on but I'd just dress myself! :happy:
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    we start dying the minute we are born

#life
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Very well written! It's unfortunate that people will still claim ignorance and make poor decisions despite the truth.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I like knowing what's in my food so as long as everything is labled I'm happy. Then I can choose what I want to eat or feed my kids. And everyone else can do the same. Sure we eat junk food from time to time and I am a MT Dew Addict so obviously I'm not a total quack about chemicals in food. Having said that I don't trust the FDA when they tell me that certain things are "perfectly safe". I just know that I have to weigh the risk vs the reward. Sort of like driving. Yes I will drive 5-10 over the speed limit on the highway but I'd never dream of it in a residential area. Something about common sense and being an adult.
    I agree. I wish we had more control over knowing what really is in our foods, because even when it looks 'clean' allot of the time it is not. And if knowing what is in your food makes you happy, then do that, because it's also satisfying you mentally. It's when people get depressed because they want something or are afraid to put food in their body because something is not good enough for them is when I start getting concerned. It is exactly what you said. Risk vs reward. Nice speed analogy.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I wish instead of jumping on the fear bandwagon the media would educate people on the importance of a balanced diet and a healthy mind instead. Many people lived long happy lives and have enjoyed cookies too.

The problem is that this doesn't sell newspapers just like publishing a book that said "eat less, move more" wouldn't sell very many copies.

We live in an era where two things have happened. First, we expect immediate gratification (which also explains many of the social and economic problems we have, but i digress) secondly, it seems the vast majority of people lack critical thinking abilities; we accept what so-called experts tell us and slavishly follow the advice of celebrities etc etc.

Dress yourself? Why are you naked :tongue:

I think it would, they would just need to present it in small doses. Like shorter versions of this post, I think it would be helpful and new information for allot of people unfortunately. I think that a news station would go through the roof with viewers if they started teaching health, because we certainly are not getting it from our education...unless we did that for our education.

"eat less, move more" sells a bunch of copies, just ask the guy who made new rules of lifting lol. That's essentially what's in the book and it's so popular. What I think would sell better tho are "these are the things you have wasted your money on and they dont work and this is why" books.

Can you blame people for not having critical thinking abilities? It's like society tries to stop that. And blindly argue instead of reason. It certainly wasn't something I'd consider myself taught in highschool. Not everyone goes to University, nor do I think everyone should (for the same reasons people should eat cake if they want and shouldn't have it if they don't want it, if it makes them happy). It would make some beautiful people very stressed and unfulfilled if they had to go to uni.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Milk is not a good source of calcium. It is very acidic, high in phosphorus, and high in animal protein. This leeches calcium from your bones to balance the pH in the blood.

Also, the Okinawans did/do not eat the soy that we consume in America in the form of GMO soy milk, soybean oil, powders, etc. They mostly ate tofu and miso, the latter is a fermented soy paste which is much healthier than non-fermented soy. Don't think because you chug Silk soy milk every morning you will love longer than an Okinawan.

Anyway. I like your sentiment but just had to nitpick a few things.
    Fair enough, I disagree with some of what you sad though.

The theory that come from 'proving' that milk leeches calcium from the bones seem to come from studies where the people who are drinking milk are on higher protein diets. It has nothing to do with the fact that it is 'animal protein'. From the studies I have read if you eat more protein, you need more calcium. If you eat no protein at all, you absorb more calcium but no protein is well, not good. Don't blindly avoid milk because of studies with loop holes, there are others that show its one of the most bioavailable for calcium (that one I can't find holes in, but there very well could be). A friend of mine drinks a fair bit of dairy, and her bone density is through the roof. Balance.
    Milk is a high protein food though. If too much protein in the diet leeches calcium, why is this magical source of calcium also high in protein? Why do so many Americans have osteoporosis? They drink a lot of milk and eat a lot of protein. The World Health Organization recommends a person my age get 50g of protein a day. Everything has protein. Everything has amino acids. If I ate 3000 calories of only fruits and vegetables I would still meet the 8% recommendation for protein. There is some cushion there also when they make these recommendations. Basically it is impossible to "get no protein" lol. On top of that, I am getting calcium from fresh produce which is more easily broken down than cooked animal products. Do you think Popeye had to sit around for hours for his spinach to digest? No, he IMMEDIATELY started kicking ***.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Milk is not a good source of calcium. It is very acidic, high in phosphorus, and high in animal protein. This leeches calcium from your bones to balance the pH in the blood.

Also, the Okinawans did/do not eat the soy that we consume in America in the form of GMO soy milk, soybean oil, powders, etc. They mostly ate tofu and miso, the latter is a fermented soy paste which is much healthier than non-fermented soy. Don't think because you chug Silk soy milk every morning you will love longer than an Okinawan.

The theory that come from 'proving' that milk leeches calcium from the bones seem to come from studies where the people who are drinking milk are on higher protein diets. It has nothing to do with the fact that it is 'animal protein'. From the studies I have read if you eat more protein, you need more calcium. If you eat no protein at all, you absorb more calcium but no protein is well, not good. Don't blindly avoid milk because of studies with loop holes, there are others that show its one of the most bioavailable for calcium (that one I can't find holes in, but there very well could be). A friend of mine drinks a fair bit of dairy, and her bone density is through the roof. Balance.
    Milk is a high protein food though. If too much protein in the diet leeches calcium, why is this magical source of calcium also high in protein? Why do so many Americans have osteoporosis? They drink a lot of milk and eat a lot of protein. The World Health Organization recommends a person my age get 50g of protein a day. Everything has protein. Everything has amino acids. If I ate 3000 calories of only fruits and vegetables I would still meet the 8% recommendation for protein. There is some cushion there also when they make these recommendations. Basically it is impossible to "get no protein" lol. On top of that, I am getting calcium from fresh produce which is more easily broken down than cooked animal products. Do you think Popeye had to sit around for hours for his spinach to digest? No, he IMMEDIATELY started kicking ***.
    That's the thing, in the studies I've seen, any protein 'leeches' calcium. And believe me, you want protein. It's not magic, it's just more bang for my buck. And asking me why Americans have osteoporosis, I don't blame you, because I obviously have all the answers lol. Nobody can flat out say what. I would say many Americans have osteoporosis because they're doing all the wrong things such as sedentary lifestyles and bad diets promoting brittle bones and remaining obese. I wouldn't go by the World Health Organization anymore I would the FDA. There's no global "eat this many proteins" number. I know personally I benefit off more because of how and what I eat and how active I am and what I do for my activity and my goals. I'm slim and eat about 100g a day in protein in my over 2000 cal diet. I'm also doing something that helps promote stronger bones by drinking milk to get calcium with my protein and doing resistance training which helps that and many things greatly. That random protein recommendation, when I ate that low my hair got dry and cracked and my skin started getting flaky. Once again, recommending this random number isn't good for everyone for many reasons. That number is pretty close to the FDAs recommendation for someone sedentary to avoid deficiency. There numbers have also become suspect: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/869015-fundamental-flaws-with-rda-recommendations-for-protein Many of the studies I've seen have shown no hindrance going even beyond .82g/lb of body mass. And I'm no body builder or athlete. Personally I'd like to do a little better then the minimum FDA deficiency number for women (46%), particularly since I'm taller then the average women and ran into problems hair/nails/skin when I was doing lower.

Also, it is very possible these days to get no protein. And I'm kind of curious where you get the protein is easier to break down when it's a plant and what parts are easier and if that's true why that would be a good thing...but I'm pretty sure popeye isn't real and didn't really digest spinach (unless we're talking about the protein sup store that sells 'animal' protein).

I understand your choice if you're being an alarmist for animal rights and I have vegetarian and vegan friends, and enjoy veg dishes regularly, but your meat fear mongering isn't appreciated or relevant here.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Source please. One that preferably takes into account a balanced diet where you get enough Vitamin D so absorption of the calcium in milk is not an issue.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

Source? Or crap.

I drank milk like a fiend as a kid. I still drink a lot (little less then a gallon a week). I have incredible strong teeth and bones. 1 broken bone in my life and that was only a hairline crack.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Calcium, dairy products and osteoporosis.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10759135?dopt=Abstract

"This evidence firmly establishes that high calcium intakes promote bone health."
    "While most of the investigator-controlled studies used calcium supplements, six used dairy sources of calcium; all were positive"

I'd be very curious to see research refuting the above that is not funded by animal rights groups[/b].
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I fry my fish in coconut oil!

and I did read somewhere that it takes a while for the body to absorb the Vitamin D on your skin so not to shower for a few hours. Article said 10 minutes, 3 times a week, at high noon was the best time to get it from the sun. Apparently, the worst rays are the least at that time. It said that was all the D we needed. Don't remember where I read it, but was interesting. Didn't say anything about 'powder', but it does make sense that it doesn't just zoom thru the skin!

and I do try to avoid man-made sweeteners--I'll take Stevia. I also try to avoid lots of processed foods because of the calorie/sodium content. It is impossible to eat in 'balance' if you consume processed junk. Of course, sometimes I do enjoy a piece of junk. I just try real hard to keep it rare.

Fear mongering aside, there are a greater percentage of mental health and physical health issues not sufered by our grandparents or great grandparents that are being attributed to some of the junk food or additives today. I personally think that is something to be mindful of and pay attention to. Not just freak out and eat only organic stuff, no meat, and no piece of birthday cake! If I can better my health by avoiding some junk, then I am going to try to. Balance may not work for everyone. Fear works for no one.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You are ignoring the EAAs here. Not all protein ranks the same. Bioavailability and amino acid profiles are important.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    In. Great topic, great post, great posters.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    "If you're filling yourself with cake to help you get over a moment well, that's not good either. I know pistachios remind me of my mom. And I know when she's long gone and I have one I'll still think of her and all the things she has done for me, including making me graham cracker pistachio pudding/cake to cheer me up whenever I was sick."

*hugs*
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Dress yourself? Why are you naked :tongue:

I think it would, they would just need to present it in small doses. Like shorter versions of this post, I think it would be helpful and new information for allot of people unfortunately. I think that a news station would go through the roof with viewers if they started teaching health, because we certainly are not getting it from our education...unless we did that for our education.

"eat less, move more" sells a bunch of copies, just ask the guy who made new rules of lifting lol. That's essentially what's in the book and it's so popular. What I think would sell better tho are "these are the things you have wasted your money on and they dont work and this is why" books.

Can you blame people for not having critical thinking abilities? It's like society tries to stop that. And blindly argue instead of reason. It certainly wasn't something I'd consider myself taught in highschool. Not everyone goes to University, nor do I think everyone should (for the same reasons people should eat cake if they want and shouldn't have it if they don't want it, if it makes them happy). It would make some beautiful people very stressed and unfulfilled if they had to go to uni.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Depress myself, good grief I need to proof read!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    You can still end up polluting yourself with one thing and avoiding things you need with all fresh unchemically treated food.

Like what exactly? What do processed foods offer that theoretically fresh 'clean' ones do not?

I really am curious, I'm not trying to start anything. Additionally, I agree with your post. Well done.
    People have poisoned and killed themselves over consuming water, and other foods many mark as 'good'.

Note the fried fish and chocolate comments. They're processed and benefit me. They can also benefit a persons piece of mind if it makes them happier and not having it makes them sad (you know, as long as their other needs are filled as well). If you have a memory linked to a food and it makes you remember and it brings you joy, well, I don't condone that. Particularly if the alternative is getting depressed about it and not having any. Personally, I think the first part can be a healthy choice, even if it's cake. Notice I said can be. If you're filling yourself with cake to help you get over a moment well, that's not good either. I know pistachios remind me of my mom. And I know when she's long gone and I have one I'll still think of her and all the things she has done for me, including making me graham cracker pistachio pudding/cake to cheer me up whenever I was sick.

I was speaking mainly of nutritional value, although yes, emotional value is important too.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I read the TLDR cuz I'm cool like that and think that pretty much sounds about right
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I appreciate how positive everyone is in this post! It's nice to see!