Can I reach my goal on 1500 cals

Options
I'm currently 163lbs my goal is 145lbs... I'm eating around 1500 cals a day. I've been steadily losing 1lb a week for the past few weeks. Will I continue to lose at this rate the closer I get to my goal or will I have to lower my calorie intake?

Also, I haven't been exercising. I plan to start during next week when schools over

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Maybe, maybe not.

Some people eat way more than that and continue to lose. Some don't. Keep going, worry about it when it happens.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You need about 100-125 calories less in order to maintain at the lower weight. You can get there on 1500 but your rate of loss will slow a bit.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Wish I was as far along as you! Might be worth setting to lose 0.5 lbs a week as you get closer to your goal, that way not so much of a shock to the system when you come out of the 1200 cal range?
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible. I'm young, 5'2" and maintain 108-114 lbs. When I was down to the last couple pounds, I ate around 1500 calories to hit my goal. I am usually at least lightly active though.
  • teninten
    teninten Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    yeah, you'll have to lower your intake (a little) as you lose. Most people recalculate their calorie goal every 10-15lbs. You should also recalculate when you start a new exercise routine/change your activity level

Sarah...just clarifying...MFP does not automatically change the calorie goal based upon us putting in our weights over time?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Tjs8819 wrote: »
    I'm currently 163lbs my goal is 145lbs... I'm eating around 1500 cals a day. I've been steadily losing 1lb a week for the past few weeks. Will I continue to lose at this rate the closer I get to my goal or will I have to lower my calorie intake?

Also, I haven't been exercising. I plan to start during next week when schools over

Yes you can. It's consistency that matters most. That is mostly likely under your maintenance calories so yes! People get too fixated on deficit amounts, when the number you need to know is your maintenance (I believe MFP calls it TDEE), but whatever you call it it's what your body needs daily to survive and stay the same - no fat loss, no fat gain.

It is mainly based on your height. The shorter you are the lower your maintenance number. I'm only 5 foot tall so you are eating almost my maintenance right there!

Anytime you eat any amount under your maintenance consistently over time you will lose body fat. Eat up to maintenance at least one day a week to help keep your hormones stable.

As your body fat decreases, your body will have less energy reserved for deep deficit numbers so then you need to bring it up a little to prevent binging and feeling weak.

You got this!!!!!