Tips please...

Options
So I finally completed week 8 of C25K, and the only thing left is run a 5K. Yesterday I was able to run 30 minutes straight for the first time in my life. The thing, though, is that I've been repeating the weeks at least twice, so I should be set to repeat week 8 next week. I am however set to do a 3.5 mile run at work this upcoming Thursday, so the questions I have are:

1.- Should I do the 3.5 mile run?
2.- If I should, what should be my routine this week?
3.- Should I do days 1 and 2 of week 8 (C25K) and then just run the 3.5?

This upcoming race is more for fun than anything else because my first official 5K is in July. Any tip you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    How far have you gotten in the 30 minute run you did with c25k? Are you close to 3.5 miles?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Go for it. Go slow. If you start to hurt, walk it.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ran 30 minutes and a little over 3 miles. I was planning to repeat week 8, but I have the 3.5 on Monday
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    Yesterday I ran 30 minutes and a little over 3 miles. I was planning to repeat week 8, but I have the 3.5 on Monday

Then go for it. And have fun!!!

I would do maybe a short run on Monday (maybe 1 or 1.5 miles max) and then take a couple days off. Going 3.5 on Thursday should be no problem for you.

Congrats on the progress. :)
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone :)
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Remember that people who train for longer races never actually run the entire distance during their training. You're there!
    Get yourself a good playlist to listen to with a steady, slowish song to start so you don't go out too fast (I am very fond of "Africa" by Toto).
    Belly breathe (this kicks in your sympathetic nervous system keeping you calm).
    Allow yourself to walk if you need to. Walking is not failure.
    The only goal you should have for this run is "completion." Get the first one under your belt, then you can make other goals for the next one.
    Blessings!