Fasting

zelaphin
zelaphin Posts: 3 Member
I've been reading a lot lately about fasting as a way to cleanse your body, and also weight loss.

Not that I'm considering on doing it, but I'd love to hear other people's opinion on the matter!

Replies

• fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Fasting is not a new thing. It's been around for a long time. Dogs fast. If they get a tummy ache they will avoid food for a few days. Fasting can be a religious thing too. And a medical thing. If you have diverticular ailments a liquid diet is recommended. So it's basically a liquid fast. This is used to allow things to heal and reduce inflammation. It works.

Learn more than you want to know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    zelaphin wrote: »
    I've been reading a lot lately about fasting as a way to cleanse your body, and also weight loss.

Not that I'm considering on doing it, but I'd love to hear other people's opinion on the matter!

As someone with gastroparesis, I (and probably nearly everyone from a Facebook group of digestive disorders) can attest that fasting indeed cleanses the body, at least under extreme conditions. Liquid diets can be beneficial as well. Weight loss can happen but that's why nutritional drinks like Ensure and Orgain exist.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    I'm in recomp generally, and do 24-hr fasts, once or twice a week. Been at it a couple of years now. All my calorie-deficits are done with fasts. Otherwise, I'm either eating full TDEE or a bit more on lifting days. It's awesome; I'm very happy with this approach.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I fast for weight control (I'm in maintenance) now and then. Just for a day (24 - 36 hrs m/l).

I was fasting every Monday for a while, but I couldn't hang with it during Spring planting season. Once the garden is set up and going well I may go back to it. Definitely will over the winter.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    I've fasted in the past, the longest I went was a 40 day fast, something my ex was into at the time. Haven't done it in years and really don't have the desire. Try fasting for a day or two and see if it works for you.