Weird question but do you wash your hair after exercise?

Options
I shower and wash my hair everyday. I exercise (spin) Monday - Wednesday and then do weight based exercises and lots of walking on the other days, so with cardio workouts I get really sweaty and my hair is a total mess! I got my hair cut recently and my hairdresser told me that I should not be washing my hair everyday but try to go 3 days between washing hair. I just wanted to know what people do if they don't wash their hair after a workout? I just don't think I can do it, as I have really long hair. My hairdresser said my hair would be in better condition if I didn't wash it everyday, I'm just not sure how Realistic that is.
Thanks

Replies

• gemma171179
    gemma171179 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Even after a really high impact workout where your hair is sweaty? Would you just leave your hair to dry and then use dry shampoo? I'm going to give it a try later after my gym workout.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I use shampoo once every 5-10 days (more often in summer, less in winter.) On in between days I get it wet and either just run conditioner through it or sometimes wash it with conditioner. Kind of depends on how it's looking.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    My hair looks like crap if I use dry shampoo after a workout because I like to wear headband and then it leaves an indent etc. The only way to make it look nice again is to shampoo it so I have been having to wash my hair every single day for a few years. I wish dry shampoo worked for me maybe I am not using it right haha. Usually I only use shampoo every 2-3 days and just use conditioner the other days.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Every single day. I do cardio every day and if I sweat and let it dry, I get itchy skin. I'm worried about smelling bad or getting a skin infection. And, I have black hair (a lot of dry shampoos are some variation of white powder and show up in dark hair).

Also, dry shampoo leaves a lot of deposits in your hair that can clog the follicles. (No official studies below, but some actual clinicians are quoted in both.)

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/07/the-unfortunate-reality-of-dry-shampoo/489989/

http://www.glamour.com/story/can-dry-shampoo-really-cause-bald-spots-doctors-weigh-in
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I have to wash it after I run, itches like hell other wise.
  • __Lora__
    __Lora__ Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I use dry shampoo
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    on days I dont wash I do what jemhh does,I rinse it really well or use a conditioner to wash it with. you could also try running ACV(apple cider vinegar) through it once in awhile as it will clean your hair too. just make sure to use a little conditioner as it can make it a little dry
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I shampoo 2x a week but condition everyday. I have curly hair and I was also recommended to wash less often because of my hair and how dried out it gets. I get cut every 2-3 months and color 1x a month and my hair looks pretty damn healthy. No split ends, no dried out hair like you usually get with colored hair and I just use drugstore products (Pantene, etc). It takes some time to cut back on shampooing but I don't think there's anything wrong with rinsing tour hair after a workout and maybe conditioning. Maybe too, emit you dry shampoo, you need to find the right brand for your hair. Anyway, that's what I do.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about getting it wet? Or actually shampooing?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I get so sweaty that I have to wash my hair. Right now I'm just running 5 days a week so the 2 rest days I do not wash my hair.

I only blow dry and use a hot iron once or twice a week. The other days I just wash and put in a bun. I think that helps slow down any damage.

I have long straight black hair.
  • Fitness_and_FODMAP
    Fitness_and_FODMAP Posts: 72 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I wash my hair every day & have done since I was 12 years old (I'm 43 now) & my hair is in beautiful condition, according to every hair dresser that's touched my hair - I rarely blow dry it, I never straighten it & I don't use products (only budget shampoo daily & budget conditioner twice a week).

I've been told & I'm living proof that shampooing your hair doesn't harm your hair, heat treatment (straightening & blow drying) is what damages it - also if you brush your hair when it's wet you're also increasing the risk of damaging it, I use a wide bristle brush & brush my hair very carefully when it's wet.

With regards to washing my hair after exercise, if I'm showering after exercise (I don't always after weight training - I strip wash because I always do my workout in the evening) I only wet my hair, but don't shampoo it, because I've already shampooed it in the morning, after my cycling session.

Incidentally I also leave the house with wet hair all year round (exercise, shower, breakfast leave for work & my hair isn't always dry by the time I'm setting off) & I haven't had a cold in the 13 years I've been with my husband - wet hair causing colds & shampooing too often are old wives tales told to us by our parents, who were told by their parents, who were told by their parents - they've been debunked many a times

Continue to shampoo after exercise if you want to, just reduce the amount of products & use less heat on your hair, you'll see a vast improvement in a short space of time.
  • PatanjaliTwist
    PatanjaliTwist Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Everyone differs, go by personal experience. As a licensed hairdresser for 30-yrs, I'd say there's nothing wrong in washing hair daily, just as most of us shower & wash our faces at least once/day, many twice. My scalp is so oily, I couldn't possibly go every other day sans a good wash. After a workout, now that I'm in FL, I wash it twice day & I also color treat my hair. Is it a fried mess? No... it's elbow length, healthy & conditioned every time I wash it.

If your hair isn't in good condition, perhaps you need different/better hair products. I'd ask your hairdresser why she's saying to go days in-between washes. Is your hair course, scalp dry? If you don't feel clean, you aren't. So, do what makes you comfortable.

For me, dry shampoo makes my hair look clean, but it makes my scalp feel filthy. I can't stand it & it's a twice/yr emergency thing... I'm late for work or feel ill & have to get out of the house... then I'll Psssst. Then again, as stated, my scalp is super oily, strange as I have dry skin from the scalp to toe & always have... I slather moisturizer on my skin after every shower so I don't itch & flake.

If you have questions, you can email me & I'd be happy to help. But, begin with your hairdresser... why is she recommending not washing daily? Good luck.
  • gemma171179
    gemma171179 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have always washed my hair every day. It was down to my waist and is always coloured a brown shade. I have loads of hair but it's really fine and was looking pretty flat so I've had it cut to just below my shoulders. I wanted a bit of a change anyway. My hairdresser said that I don't need to wash my hair daily because I'm washing all the natural oils out. I have used dry shampoo before but it doesn't seem to create any volume and it just looks really greasy as the day goes on and I feel like it's noticeable and not looking clean. I will give it a go again just to see if it does work, and try some of the other suggestions above. I don't want to change my workout pattern as I do 3 days of consecutive cardio and my hair is pretty much a mess at the end of it!

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I have to wash my hair at least 3 times per week, once or twice with medicated shampoo, or else I get a rash that can blister. I've tried stretching washes, but my scalp gets upset. I workout every morning. Mon/wed/Fri are wash mornings before work. T/Thur I either dry shampoo or rinse the hairline (length is bunned). I mostly leave it alone on weekends, unless I have to go somewhere.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't wash my hair everyday! My hair would look like a broom.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    No. I don't sweat that much though. I put cocoa powder in my hair to get rid of the oil. Wash about twice per week, 3 times max.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I "wash" my hair every day with cleansing conditioner, real shampoo on Wednesday and deep clean shampoo on Sunday.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Nope. I would look like a scarecrow if I did.