What to change to beat the bloat?

Options
Any ideas on how to manage bloating? My tum starts one size in the morning then gets big and bloated through the day and I cant pin down whats causing it. My husband says cut dairy, a friend said cut carbs, another said it's the veggies.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Have you always had this problem or did it start after you started dieting?
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It's been so long I can't remember when it stared - way before the diet. I used to think it was from all the sweets I ate (chocolate is my weakness) but I cut that out completely three weeks ago. My mother has celiac's but I was tested for that a few years ago as a precaution and was negative.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I personally beat my bloating by figuring out what triggered it through a 6 week elimination diet. For me, the culprit was dairy.

This also releived some of the eczema, dermatitis, and weight fluctuations i was experiencing. I also started taking probiotics and have incorporated plenty of fermented foods.

Now, I would say this isn't really necessary for the average person, but i was showing sure signs of dietary intolerances so for me it was. It was hell for those 6 weeks though and if you can avoid it i would. i followed a modified FODMAP diet.

In conclusion, talk to your doctor. it could be caused by many things. if you show multiple signs of food intolerance as the suspect, go on an elimination diet by the recommendation and under the care of your doctor.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    yeah its dairy for me....sadness
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    For me it's sugar, though dairy may also be a factor. Ice cream really makes me bloat. (I still eat it.)
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Dairy and too much salt will make me bloat.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    My stomach is huge by the end of the day too...it's because I eat two bags of lettuce and tons of veggies on top of it. If I'm going to go on a date or something, I won't do that. I'll eat higher fat, lower volume that day.

Are you physically uncomfortable?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    My sister did some diet where you eliminate all these different types of food from your diet for so long then slowly re-introduce them to see what effect they have. Whole 30? You could try something like that
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Drinking a gallon of water and reducing some of my sodium intake got rid of most of the bloating for me.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    How is your sodium intake? I try to stay under 2300, but I know if I go over 3,000 I blow up.
  • natat326
    natat326 Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It's most likely a food that your sensitive too if that's your only symptom but if you have other symptoms especially around your period it could be ibs or endometriosis, I have endometriosis and it makes me so bloated like I can go up a dress size in a day because of it a few things that help slightly for me anyway wear loose clothing on the days you feel bloated wearing clothes that are tight will make it more painful also drinking a load of peppermint tea and taking senocalm can help with the discomfort of feeling bloated and drink loads of water even though the last thing you normally want to do is drink or eat when you feel bloated drinking plenty helps flush everything out which can help
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    More than likely food allergies or intolérances and they can happen at anytime-have testing done again for celiac and other foods. You need to pay close attention to your food diary- note when the bloating occurs and what you ate before it-we can advise you but you need to do the work on finding out what it is. When you think you have the foods that bother figured out take your food journal to your dr along with your notes on how you felt before and after you ate these foods. If this doesn't work you might consider an elimination diet where you slowly add back food groups to find problem foods.