Advice

Options
Hi can anyone give me some exercise advice please? I carry my weight on my hips,bum and thighs and would like to shift some of it. I can't run or do lunges because of a injury but wanted to know if hill walking would be any good x

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    All exercise is good, but to shift weight you have to lose fat. That is done by eating in a calorie deficit - so eating a little less food so your body will use your body fat as fuel.

You can't target an area of the body from which to lose, it comes off all over in increments - and where you will notice it first is determined by genetics.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have to modify exercise to low impact too. Go ahead and try lots of things.
  • MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Buy a bike! Doesn't have to be fancy. I had/have trouble with my knees from time to time and cycling, (even just leisurely) is such low impact that you can get the exercise you need without pain (hopefully).

Also, @cmriverside is 100% right. The only thing I can add is if you're wanting to target those areas, a caloric deficit + weight training specific muscles will definitely tone and help you get a more desirable aesthetic. Getting back to my above comments, biking has certainly helped me in that regard!

Good luck!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Buy a bike! Doesn't have to be fancy. I had/have trouble with my knees from time to time and cycling, (even just leisurely) is such low impact that you can get the exercise you need without pain (hopefully).

Also, @cmriverside is 100% right. The only thing I can add is if you're wanting to target those areas, a caloric deficit + weight training specific muscles will definitely tone and help you get a more desirable aesthetic. Getting back to my above comments, biking has certainly helped me in that regard!

Good luck!

you cant spot reduce fat. so to get a toned look you have to lose excess fat that is covering the muscle to see it,thats how you get the toned look, weight training specific muscles will make them stronger but it wont make a difference unless you lose the fat covering them.you cant tone muscle.
  • MarvinsAMartian
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey You're right, but that's not what I meant. My bad on the wording.

Should've broken down my original comments into separate sentences. I was saying if those are target areas that a caloric deficit will help tone, add weight training for muscles which = aesthetic.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey You're right, but that's not what I meant. My bad on the wording.

Should've broken down my original comments into separate sentences. I was saying if those are target areas that a caloric deficit will help tone, add weight training for muscles which = aesthetic.

but,you lose fat from all over so it may take awhile to lose from those areas with a calorie deficit.even if you add weight training its all going to be down to genetics too. some may lose fat in their belly first others will lose from their hips or butt.working the muscles arent going to make it come off any faster in that area if thats what you are trying to say.
  • MarvinsAMartian
    Options
    No that's not at all what I'm saying.

I wasn't implying that training them will help the process of losing fat, just that it helps with the overall aesthetic once you do. How long it takes to lose fat in a specific area is besides the point. If you don't train it, you may not get the look you're going for. OP stated she wanted to "shift weight" in some areas, which I took to mean that she cares about what those areas look like.

If you want big arms, you train arms. If you happen to have a bit of fat on said arms, they may not look as great. That's it, that's all I was trying to say.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    No that's not at all what I'm saying.

I wasn't implying that training them will help the process of losing fat, just that it helps with the overall aesthetic once you do. How long it takes to lose fat in a specific area is besides the point. If you don't train it, you may not get the look you're going for. OP stated she wanted to "shift weight" in some areas, which I took to mean that she cares about what those areas look like.

If you want big arms, you train arms. If you happen to have a bit of fat on said arms, they may not look as great. That's it, that's all I was trying to say.

ok but if you want your arms to be muscular you need to train and eat in a surplus to get that muscle,which means when you eat in a surplus you will gain fat too. sure training and losing weight can change how your body looks(trust me Ive been training for almost the last 5 years),but it depends on your goal. its hard to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time so it can be hard to achieve what you want unless you know what you want.

to get lean you eat in a deficit and lose fat while lifting,if you want a little muscle and to lose fat there is recomp,and if you want a decent amount of muscle,you need to eat in a surplus and lift heavy but like I said with that comes fat gain,which is why most people go through bulk and cut cycles because its faster than a recomp.