Naked Juice Admits It’s Not So Natural

Options
Hi_Im_Jess
Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
"It’s settled: Those “all-natural” Naked juices that line the shelves in grocery stores’ health-food sections and cost you $4 a pop aren’t actually natural.

PepsiCo recently settled a lawsuit involving its brand Naked Juice for $9 million, admitting that its products weren’t “all natural,” despite being advertised as such on each bottle. Labels also include the phrase, “Only the freshest, purest stuff in the world.” As part of the settlement, PepsiCo announced it will removed those claims from its packaging.

The Natalie Pappas v. Naked Juice Co. of Glendora class-action lawsuit emerged in the fall of 2011. The plaintiff alleged that Naked Juices were hiding GMO and synthetic ingredients, including zinc oxide, ascorbic acid, and calcium pantothenate, which is produced from formaldehyde.

It’s not the first lawsuit against a brand that advertises its all-natural ingredients. In 2011, a lawsuit was filed against Kashi for its use of synthentically produced ingredients despite its “natural” claims. It was slapped with another lawsuit in April 2013 for masking its use of sugar with the term “evaporated cane juice.” The FDA's current policy on the use of the term states “that sweeteners derived from sugar cane syrup should not be declared as 'evaporated cane juice' because that term falsely suggests that the sweeteners are juice.”

And Trader Joe’s is currently involved in two separate lawsuits. The first concerns deceptive labeling, which plaintiffs argue hide the actual quantity of sugar, preservatives, and food coloring; the second states that the grocery chain, along with Whole Foods, Target, and other supermarkets, has been selling candy and snacks that contain high levels of lead."

link to article: http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/wellbeing/healthy-eating/naked-juice-admits-its-not-so-natural.php

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Maybe pepsico juice isn't anything special, but their 15 different brands of water are the bomb.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pay $4 for it even if it was all natural. :P
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Well damn, if Whole Foods & Trader Joes are tainted then we are all screwed. No Kashi or Naked juice? I'm going to have to start killing and growing everything myself.

***Off to buy a crossbow.***
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    Well damn, if Whole Foods & Trader Joes are tainted then we are all screwed. No Kashi or Naked juice? I'm going to have to start killing and growing everything myself.

***Off to buy a crossbow.***

That's exactly how I feel. The companies and brands we're led to believe are "wholesome" are really just more crap!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    This is not surprising at all......a product that sits on a shelf, is in a box or in a bottle is not all natural? mind blown. ahhhh I like the taste of the green machine and will continue to drink it.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    This is not surprising at all......a product that sits on a shelf, is in a box or in a bottle is not all natural? mind blown. ahhhh I like the taste of the green machine and will continue to drink it.

The sad part is, not everyone will think that way. Some people see "all natural" and automatically assume its true. The lawsuit is because of the way they marketed it. Theyre still going to sell it, they just have to change the labeling.

(edited because apparently I can't spell to save my life today)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mlvk5d7DBa1rx16two1_500.png
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Options

^^^ This.
  • BeverlyHillsCop
    BeverlyHillsCop Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'll stick to plain old H2o.

To hell with GMOs.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I don't really give a hoot about "unnatural" ingredients except those juices don't taste like real fresh juices. Kashi tastes good and fits my needs.
    I draw the line at lead in my candy though.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    . . . ascorbic acid = vitamin C
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    I couldn't bring myself to pay this much for any kind of beverage without alcohol in it, I just thought I would share the article in case anyone was interested in reading it.
  • CaGaChAn
    CaGaChAn Posts: 8
    Options
    Actually, thanks for the link! I do look at those from time to time. Had a friend that swears by how "natural and organic" they are. To be honest, I don't by those because of the cost. I do however grab the Odwalla brand. You can look at all the bottles too. Odwalla, Bolthouse, Naked and now Organic. The appear to be the same. But are different. Label reading. Knowledge about sugar and fat intake. Again, thanks!
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    Thanks for this. I buy Odwalla if I'm needing it, but I try to do all of it from the fruit. The bad part is that natural food stores that have a trust relationship w/their customers about screening products and only carrying the best are in fact betraying them.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    They run about $2.50 here in WA. I'm a full on green machine junkie. I love the things...but the moment I saw that a single bottle of naked juice has as much sugar as 2 cans of coke I realized that these things should basically be treats just like any other junk food.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    . . . ascorbic acid = vitamin C

thats what I was trying to figure out how is it unnatural. Unless the argument is that it's supposed to be wholesome no added ingredients or the deceptive labeling practice.

Too bad they settled would love to see if they would have won or lost the suit.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    They run about $2.50 here in WA. I'm a full on green machine junkie. I love the things...but the moment I saw that a single bottle of naked juice has as much sugar as 2 cans of coke I realized that these things should basically be treats just like any other junk food.

Wow youre smart no wonder you are shrinking.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    At some point maybe people are going to finally figure out that health food is a myth.

LOL, doubtful, people are too gullible and are easily fooled by marketing.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    At some point maybe people are going to finally figure out that health food is a myth.

LOL, doubtful, people are too gullible and are easily fooled by marketing.

Exactly.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options

Really?? I've seen them as high as $5 to $6 here. NYC sucks!