Anxiety...how do you fight it?

Options

Replies

• SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I personally eat and drink too much, and then I will hit one or two punching bags

It's not the best solution.

It would be better to turn your anxiety into an artistic pursuit...there are some great works of art completely made out of anxiety.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend visiting a psychiatrist. I was disappointed when I did...I laid all of my existential philosophy *kitten* (oops I mean kittens) on him...and he recommended that I start taking fish oil, vitamin D, and Sam-E (that *kitten* is really expensive...so I'll not say that I use it, as I don't).

However, psychiatrists are good people...they know what they're doing...and they know who can help you. It's literally their job to know who is going to help you and how.

I encourage that.
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease called sarcoidosis. I have had brutal anxiety for 18 months. I slept for less than 4 hours a night for the first 6 months post diagnosis. One day I woke up and decided that I have two choices in life. WEAR OUT OR RUST OUT. I have decided to become anti fragile and expose myself to different experiences and opportunities. Add me if you want.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I have struggled really badly with anxiety my whole life, one of the ways I cope is just by accepting that I may feel anxious or think anxious thoughts and just kind of roll with it? I try not to fight it and that seems to give it less power.
  • 19shmoo69
    19shmoo69 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    In my case, I had anxiety and anger issues. It literally hit me like a switch being turned on or off. My family put up with for years. We met somebody that suggested that it could be a food problem. I've been gluten-free for almost 2 years. The difference is night and day. Since then I've read that other causes could be some vitamin deficiency. Thyroid function also plays a part in some anxiety issues. I pray you find your answer.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    19shmoo69 wrote: »
    In my case, I had anxiety and anger issues. It literally hit me like a switch being turned on or off. My family put up with for years. We met somebody that suggested that it could be a food problem. I've been gluten-free for almost 2 years. The difference is night and day. Since then I've read that other causes could be some vitamin deficiency. Thyroid function also plays a part in some anxiety issues. I pray you find your answer.

TMI alert!
    That's interesting. For many, many, many long miserable years I suffered from an undiagnosed digestive disorder which made me very ill. It started in my early twenties with mild, less frequent bouts, and then increased in severity and frequency throughout my thirties. (This was before the gluten-free craze, so nobody thought of it as a cause/solution for me.)

During this time, I developed panic disorder and anxiety because I never knew when, how or why I would suddenly become violently ill - usually after eating, but it was unpredictable at times. I spent many hours of each day in the bathroom wondering which end I was going to be puking out of next. I saw several doctors and none of them tested me for celiac or food sensitivities. They just called it IBS and told me to make "lifestyle changes" to reduce my stress.

Finally, a new doctor suggested that it was probably food-related and started me on an elimination diet. It turned out to be a gluten problem. I've been gluten free for several years now and it's like night and day. Panic disorder has vanished (although it took time to retrain myself not to feel anxious anymore - after so many years it had become like a habit) and I haven't been sick in forever. Glad you figured out what was wrong with you, too!
  • Tewsy87
    Tewsy87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Support, good self care, therapy.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Finding the right person to talk to helped me. When it's building up he's able to talk me down and get my mind onto something else.

Finding the cause helps. Mine is food related. Eating foods that affect the histamine in my body can lead to a panic attack during the day followed by an allergic reaction in the evening.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I don't get anxious often, but when I am stressed out from work or anything, I grab a cigar and go for a walk.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    zs6zf0qpi3wg.png
  • mcbeanstr
    mcbeanstr Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't fight it I just bottle up my emotions and try to stay away from people
  • hannahland18
    hannahland18 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I read to settle my thoughts. It works every time. I also just started yoga and it's been awesome. It's really helped clear my head when days get rough.
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    I go for a walk around sunset and I reflect. I feel so much better even if I didn't come up with a solution to the particular problem but just freeing your mind to the earth does it for me.
  • strawberrysnap
    strawberrysnap Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey! I can really relate with this, have you tried reading self help books? They really helped me pinpoint what triggers my anxiety as sometimes I would get random panic attacks just walking or even talking, I hope you feel better soon! Anxiety tends to be a long term thing but it can be controlled ⭐️
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I use to have horrible anxiety. Went to the ER with chest pains/left arm numb several times. My old Dr. told me to give up caffeine. A year later I finally did, and the anxiety attacks went away for the most part (some random ones occasionally). It took a couple weeks to get out of my system. I have been caffeine free for about 4 years now. The negative to it all is that I can't have any type of medication that would be considered a "stimulant", steroid inhalers for asthma, the good sinus medicine with pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine, and strangely even birth control pills; for example. My new Dr. thinks I am just hyper sensitive to how my body feels on different medications/caffeine and if I just ignored the feeling I would be fine. Either way, I have been happier off it all.

** This worked for me and seems to be the cause of my anxiety. I know this won't help everyone, but it is a free option to try.
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If it's a bad day I start listening to music, going on a walk somewhere, or take a drive while recording my travel. Any of the combination.
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    LunaPipes wrote: »
    I listen to Abraham-Hicks on YouTube if I feel my anxiety/stress building. The emotional guidance scale framework is helpful.

Tony Robbins is very good too. So is Ajahn Brahm. Some of their talks are also on YouTube.
  • christinecameron901
    christinecameron901 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi,I suffer from Anxiety too.I was taught breathing exercises.. Sometimes they help. :)