McDougall Diet

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have RA and a few other health issues and for me weight lifting and regular exercise helps with my RA and the inflammation I havent needed meds yet. I eat low fat due to another health issue so that may help too I dont know. I do know I eat a lot of carbs and that hasnt caused me any inflammation issues. Im not saying to do what I do but weight lifting has been proven to help those with RA have less inflammation and more mobility.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Like Doctor Oz, the man is simply out to make a name for himself and to put money in the bank. Sorry, but no way would I just believe what he has said. Where is the scientific proof? Oh right, he has none because his claims can't be backed by science.

Yep, this. I eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet based on actual, legitimate research/studies. I'd never count McDougall/Furhman/Esselstyn etc as legitimate resources though, because of what others have pointed out-they're trying to make a buck by preying on people's fears and desperation. Nothing wrong with a plant based diet if it's done right (one that's balanced and nutrient dense), but I'd steer clear of any guru who claims any certain way of eating is a 'miracle' and is making money off of those claims.

Op, if you're feeling led to become a vegan I'd highly recommend reading from Virginia Messina. She's a dietician who's a vegan and approaches veganism much differently than McDougall. She has a new book out that addresses health and veganism, Even Vegans Die. Her website has lots of great info as well http://www.theveganrd.com/

I don't know about the other guys, but Furham is good. He has a family practice and has no problem medicating his patients if they need it. He just advocated a plant based diet. I've used his cook books and I can tell you, they are very balanced, and nutrient dense.

He claims that his woe reverses diabetes, 'detoxes' the body etc etc. More claims of 'miracles'.

Losing weight can help reverse diabetes. That's not a lie. That's one of his main goals...to help people lose weight and get healthy. I mean, he is a medical doctor who is himself, a vegan. I'm just telling you, from the books of his that I have read, I never saw claims that were so outlandish I though, "wow, what a quack". Now...if he said he could cure cancer and such diseases, yeah, that would qualify. Besides, I take it for what it is. It's about the quality of a vegan diet. Period...and that's where I leave it.
  • YvetteK2015
    Options

Like Doctor Oz, the man is simply out to make a name for himself and to put money in the bank. Sorry, but no way would I just believe what he has said. Where is the scientific proof? Oh right, he has none because his claims can't be backed by science.

Yep, this. I eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet based on actual, legitimate research/studies. I'd never count McDougall/Furhman/Esselstyn etc as legitimate resources though, because of what others have pointed out-they're trying to make a buck by preying on people's fears and desperation. Nothing wrong with a plant based diet if it's done right (one that's balanced and nutrient dense), but I'd steer clear of any guru who claims any certain way of eating is a 'miracle' and is making money off of those claims.

Op, if you're feeling led to become a vegan I'd highly recommend reading from Virginia Messina. She's a dietician who's a vegan and approaches veganism much differently than McDougall. She has a new book out that addresses health and veganism, Even Vegans Die. Her website has lots of great info as well http://www.theveganrd.com/

I don't know about the other guys, but Furham is good. He has a family practice and has no problem medicating his patients if they need it. He just advocated a plant based diet. I've used his cook books and I can tell you, they are very balanced, and nutrient dense.

He claims that his woe reverses diabetes, 'detoxes' the body etc etc. From his site-Harness your body’s tremendous power to heal itself through proper nutrition

You don’t have to live with a debilitating, chronic disease—the Nutritarian diet allows you to take control of your health destiny through superior nutrition

More claims of 'miracles'. He also sells everything from supplements to salad dressings, and retreats where all your problems will be fixed, for a price

I know. I've actually bought his probiotics and salad dressings. So tasty. One is a tuscano herb. I highly recommend it.

Look, I'm not here to get into a pissing match over a vegan doctor. I think he has valid points about feeling better on a nutritious diet as opposed to a *kitten* diet. I think his cook books are excellent for balanced nutrient dense food. And I take it for what it is. A well thought out, well explained vegan diet.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

He claims that his woe reverses diabetes, 'detoxes' the body etc etc. From his site-Harness your body’s tremendous power to heal itself through proper nutrition

You don’t have to live with a debilitating, chronic disease—the Nutritarian diet allows you to take control of your health destiny through superior nutrition

More claims of 'miracles'. He also sells everything from supplements to salad dressings, and retreats where all your problems will be fixed, for a price

I know. I've actually bought his probiotics and salad dressings. So tasty. One is a tuscano herb. I highly recommend it.

Look, I'm not here to get into a pissing match over a vegan doctor. I think he has valid points about feeling better on a nutritious diet as opposed to a *kitten* diet. I think his cook books are excellent for balanced nutrient dense food. And I take it for what it is. A well thought out, well explained vegan diet.

I used to respect him more before he became so commercialized, (I've read his older books/hung out quite a bit on his old website/blog). It seems though that he's now just like all the other diet gurus out there-selling a woe as the One True Way. That's why I like Messina so much-she's a vegan dietician and doesn't promote veganisim as the cure all, but as a legitimate woe that has it's pluses and negatives.

eta: sorry my previous posts have come off as a bit 'cranky'-I'm dealing with shingles right now and I'm not in a good mood :p
  • YvetteK2015
    Options

I used to respect him more before he became so commercialized, (I've read his older books/hung out quite a bit on his old website/blog). It seems though that he's now just like all the other diet gurus out there-selling a woe as the One True Way. That's why I like Messina so much-she's a vegan dietician and doesn't promote veganisim as the cure all, but as a legitimate woe that has it's pluses and negatives.

eta: sorry my previous posts have come off as a bit 'cranky'-I'm dealing with shingles right now and I'm not in a good mood :p

I do agree that he is a "one true way" advocate. Like I said, I'm a meat eater, so I obviously don't subscribe to everything he says, but I do use his books for nutritional information, and for cooking awesome vegan dishes. I've never been one to look for cures in food, but it wasn't until I read his book that I really became aware of *nutrition*. For example, I would go into the supermarket and look at items and say "so what nutritional value am I getting from this". So I can say that his book helped me learn how to eat *better* than I was before.
  • YvetteK2015
    Options
    And so sorry about the shingles. I've never had chicken pox, so I'll never get that. But I've seen people with it, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I hope you feel better soon.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    And so sorry about the shingles. I've never had chicken pox, so I'll never get that. But I've seen people with it, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I hope you feel better soon.

Thank you!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I have RA and a few other health issues and for me weight lifting and regular exercise helps with my RA and the inflammation I havent needed meds yet. I eat low fat due to another health issue so that may help too I dont know. I do know I eat a lot of carbs and that hasnt caused me any inflammation issues. Im not saying to do what I do but weight lifting has been proven to help those with RA have less inflammation and more mobility.
    Swimming is really good too. It's my main workout.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

I dont have any place where I could swim we dont have a YMCA/YWCA,we dont have a community or rec center either. unless I want to swim in the river during the summer and thats not happening.The nearest pool is at the one days in and thats 20 miles one way.The local pool is outside and you have to pay to swim and its 15 miles one way.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

I dont have any place where I could swim we dont have a YMCA/YWCA,we dont have a community or rec center either. unless I want to swim in the river during the summer and thats not happening.The nearest pool is at the one days in and thats 20 miles one way.The local pool is outside and you have to pay to swim and its 15 miles one way.

I wasn't telling you that you needed to swim, just that it's good exercise for people with joint issues for the OP or others searching and finding this thread.

I'm pretty sure all the pools I have access to are 15 miles away or more, and I have to pay in some form for them too- that's to be expected. The heated pool I prefer to use is a town over.
This discussion has been closed.