Diet making me susceptible to illness?

Options
Do others feel this way? I'm not overly calorie negative but gotten really sick twice in last 3 months since diet started.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    maybe if you are not eating a well balanced, nutritionally dense diet.

i get sick far less now than i did before, but i eat loads of salads and veggies and 'real' food. hardly anything overly processed or whats typically considered 'junk' food. will i eat crap stuff on occasion, sure, but its not a part of my every day way of eating.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It's pretty normal in my experience. When you're in a calorie deficit your body is not running optimally so you need to ensure you get sufficient micronutrients and vitamins in.

A multivitamin and additional vitamin c are daily and glutamine when I feel run down or feel fly symptons.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Log your food accurately for a few weeks and then look back on your food log to see if you're getting a wide variety of colorful vegetables and fruit often. If not, you can fix that and may well improve your immune system.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I feel like I get sick more in the first couple of months that I make any diet changes, whether its calorie deficit or when I went gluten free (to help digestive issues) I got a horrific cold/flu thing that time. Maybe bodies run less than optimal during these adjustment periods. Or maybe its just coincidence.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I find that I'm more susceptible to getting sick when in a deficit, though a smaller deficit seems less taxing on my body than a bigger deficit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    It's true. You're also more susceptible if you're also exercising with high intensity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png