Eating food you're allergic to

Options
2»

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Don't be stupid.. allergies that appear in adulthood only get worse, they do not get better. There is no way to know how bad your next reaction will be. I went from a numb face to anaphylaxis... don't mess with allergies..

This!!! This is probably the dumbest thread I've ever seen.
  • chainone
    chainone Posts: 42
    Options
    Don't be stupid.. allergies that appear in adulthood only get worse, they do not get better. There is no way to know how bad your next reaction will be. I went from a numb face to anaphylaxis... don't mess with allergies..

Do you have any intolerances/allergies? Sometimes it's hard to avoid them all.

I'm intolerant to sugar. I'm not just talking white sugar, but anything with any type of sugar in it. That means no fruit, whatsoever. I am also allergic to kiwis, pineapple, mangos, papayas, guavas, etc.
    I can do okay with apples and bananas, generally, but if I eat too many strawberries my palate is itchy for days. Ditto with candy, or baked goods. I also get headaches.
  • NYgirl1990
    NYgirl1990 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    All my allergies are severe. So no, I can't eat what I'm allergic to. But there are foods that cause my eczema to get bad and joints to hurt when I eat them (even though my allergist said that I'm not allergic to them). Those foods are gluten and dairy. And yeah, I do eat those foods once in a while even though I know about the consequences afterwards. It's just so hard to avoid it, but I try.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

Do you have any intolerances/allergies? Sometimes it's hard to avoid them all.

I'm intolerant to sugar. I'm not just talking white sugar, but anything with any type of sugar in it. That means no fruit, whatsoever. I am also allergic to kiwis, pineapple, mangos, papayas, guavas, etc.
    I can do okay with apples and bananas, generally, but if I eat too many strawberries my palate is itchy for days. Ditto with candy, or baked goods. I also get headaches.

Yes, I do. INTOLERANCES ARE NOT ALLERGIES!!! This thread specifically states "eating food you're ALLERGIC to." An intolerance will not cause anaphylaxis. An allergy can. As I already stated in a previous post - I am ALLERGIC to kiwi (and peanuts, but I didn't note that). Kiwi used to make my mouth and throat itchy and then one day I went into anaphylacitc shock. If you have an allergy rather than an intolerance, you better avoid them. And if you're that stupid not to, then you deserve what is coming to you.

By the way, I also have a milk and gluten intolerance. No, I will not DIE from eating those things, but it's fairly easy to avoid them since I'd rather not be hugging the toilet and suffering from migraines.
  • prettychick672
    prettychick672 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just found out that im allergic to nuts. I love walnuts, almonds and anything with peanut butter. I was so devastated when I found out, so if im craving a food that im allergic to I take claritin or benadryl about 15 minutes before I eat it. I only do this because my allergies arent severe I only get itchy skin and my face may swell.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I'm not allergic to anything but I am lactose intolerant, so some foods I do eat though I know I'll suffer for it.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I just found out that im allergic to nuts. I love walnuts, almonds and anything with peanut butter. I was so devastated when I found out, so if im craving a food that im allergic to I take claritin or benadryl about 15 minutes before I eat it. I only do this because my allergies arent severe I only get itchy skin and my face may swell.

You may want to invest in an epi pen if you are doing this. My daughter's allergies started mild and became progressively worse. She does not go out to eat without her epi pen because sometimes all the ingredients aren't obvious. This is especially true of apples and apple juice which is her most severe reaction.