Uniquely Complicated

Options
Everyone's story is uniquely complicated, and I'm no different. I'm 5'2" and topped out at 250. Had a gastric bypass when I was 53 and made it down to 165, but then had lots of serious emotional turmoil and some health issues; fast forward 3.5 years and I've gained back 20 pounds. I also have artificial jaw joints and no teeth, which makes conventional dieting an issue, and I have erosive arthritis in my hands. I have difficulties with depression and anxiety. Hubby is 12 years older than me, and I don't know what I'd do without him.

Meeting my goal is going to be a lot more complicated than it would be if I were in good health. I get really tired of not being able to chew, and I've always hated cooked vegetables (other than green beans and starches). Drinking my food gets really old. The easiest stuff for me to ingest is the stuff that melts in my mouth, which means my favorite food of all - chocolate. But that's how I gained back my 20 pounds, and I have to find a way to stop the emotional eating.

We just had a 7th grandchild this past October, and I'd love to be around to dance at his wedding. At the rate I'm going, I'm not sure I'll make it, so things have to change. Does anyone have any suggestions for this uniquely complicated Gramma?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You have your WHY and it's an important one. You want to be around for your grandchildren. So you have to do everything in your might to make this work...if that's getting used to one liquid meal per day, you may have to. You can also do research on new foods to bring into your diet. Like chocolate? Buy some greek yogurt, put unsweetened cocoa powder in it, chocolate protein shakes, low calorie mug cakes, etc.

Anyway, I'm starting to get off track but you got this!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    Good job catching yourself at just 20 pounds to lose, that's not an insurmountable hurdle.

You know what to do food wise if you've gone through GP.

Are you doing any kind of exercise? You don't say that your body is disabled, just your hand? Get out there and walk.

Just log all your food and stay under calories, that's all there is to it.

Good luck.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I don't want to pry, but is there an insurmountable reason you can't get the dental work done? It would make things easier, probably have a significant impact on your quality of life, and you have many years ahead of you.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the thing that helped me most with emotional eating was treating my depression and anxiety.
  • blackcars7411
    blackcars7411 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Consulting with a speech therapist who specialized in mouth & swallowing disorders. They can evaluate u & ur swallowing/chewing issues & recommend a diet that will be more sustainable.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You know your special limitations.

I'm brainstorming foods that melt in your mouth that are not chocolate.

The gelatines might work. There is sugar free. Aspic for savoury.

Whipped egg whites. Macaroons and meringue.

V8 for the veggies.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Puréed soups are filling, full of veggies, and low cal if not cream-based.