Is it really all about calories?

Options
I 've been in a calorie deficit and I did Lose the weight but I still have an ugly looking stomach. I am thinking its because , even though I lost weight , I ate whatever I wanted ( mostly junk food).
So my question is ; Does it make a difference whether you eat a chicken salad of 200 calories and a packet of crisps for the same amount of calories?

Replies

• mtek94
    mtek94 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes because one is nutirent dense and other has nil, id recommend training your core and practice vacuuming to tighten your stomach
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Does it make a difference to what? Calories for weight loss, focus on macro/micronutrients for health and body composition.

How is your stomach still "ugly looking"?

Id guess to say your issue is muscle loss during weight loss? Or lots of loose skin? This would be due to insufficient protein and no resistance training. Or losing weight rapidly.
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Is is it loose skin skin you are talking about?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    To some extent getting proper nutrition is going to play a roll in body composition...this doesn't mean that you can't eat less nutrient dense things, but the bulk of your diet should be nutritionally solid.

Beyond that, regular exercise and resistance training is going to be the biggest factor in body composition. You're not going to have that "fit" look if you don't actually get your fit on, and cardio, cardio, cardio, and more cardio isn't going to cut it.
  • JustDoIt987
    JustDoIt987 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Does it make a difference to what? Calories for weight loss, focus on macro/micronutrients for health and body composition.

Id guess to say your issue is muscle loss during weight loss? Or lots of loose skin? This would be due to insufficient protein and no resistance training. Or losing weight rapidly.

Its still not flat and kind of has a lot of fat
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

What's your current bmi?
  • JustDoIt987
    Options

What's your current bmi?

• crazyycatladyy1
    Options

What's your current bmi?

Since you're at the lower end of a healthy bmi range, it might be a good idea to start strength training if you haven't already. I don't exercise usually but every once in a while I get the bug and do body-weight strength training. With my lower bmi (also around a 20), that really makes my abs and such 'pop'-it may help you as well.
  • JustDoIt987
    Options

What's your current bmi?

Since you're at the lower end of a healthy bmi range, it might be a good idea to start strength training if you haven't already. I don't exercise usually but every once in a while I get the bug and do body-weight strength training. With my lower bmi (also around a 20), that really makes my abs and such 'pop'-it may help you as well.

I was actually thinking of starting the gym tomorrow
    I already do some crunches but I have a poor diet :(
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The chicken salad is more nutritionally diverse, the crisps have a lot of oil so you aren't eating enough potatoes for the calories to get a decent nutrient density. Chicken salad is also more filling for most people if compared calorie per calorie.

Now there are situations where eating the crisps is better for your diet than the chicken salad:
    - You aren't hungry and you feel like having crisps, and not having them would make you feel like your diet is limited.
    - You aren't hungry and you are consistently low on calories. Introducing more calorie dense less filling foods in this case is more beneficial.
    - You've already had chicken salad and have enough calories for a snack.

Now what I mentioned above has to do with health and dieting practice, but has nothing to do with the theory of weight loss. If you eat the same amount of calories from both your weight loss will be practically the same. I don't like these comparisons, though. Food to food comparisons are not fair. People don't usually live on chicken salad alone or crisps alone. Looking at the diet as a whole is more productive, and if the rest of your diet is nutritious and fits your goals, those 200 calories are just a drop in the bucket and wouldn't really make that much of a difference.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    edited May 2017
    Options

What's your current bmi?

If you want a good home program You are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren is a great book/program. It's body weight strength training and you don't need any equipment. I did most of it at a local playground, using playground equipment :) After doing it there was very noticeable differences, but my hubby didn't like the more defined/muscular look (bless his heart lol), and since he's the only one who sees that much of me, and I was pretty neutral about how I looked, I dropped it. It may be what you're looking for though?

https://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581
  • JustDoIt987
    Options

What's your current bmi?

If you want a good home program You are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren is a great book/program. It's body weight strength training and you don't need any equipment. I did most of it at a local playground, using playground equipment :) After doing it there was very noticeable differences, but my hubby didn't like the more defined/muscular look (bless his heart lol), and since he's the only one who sees that much of me, and I was pretty neutral about how I looked, I dropped it. It may be what you're looking for though?

Aa cool! But did you follow a particular diet?
  • crazyycatladyy1
    Options

What's your current bmi?

Nope. He does have a food plan in the book, but I didn't use it and just ate how I normally ate.
  • JustDoIt987
    Options

What's your current bmi?

Nope. He does have a food plan in the book, but I didn't use it and just ate how I normally ate.

And how do you normally eat? If you dont mind me asking of course
  • crazyycatladyy1
    Options

What's your current bmi?

And how do you normally eat? If you dont mind me asking of course

At the time I was doing the strength training program I was eating a lot of low calorie frozen entrées, (Lean Cuisines etc), low calorie soups, fast food 3-4 times a week etc. Diet wise I was just focused on my calorie intake.