Logging Strength Training for Exercise

Options
Steelpit202
Steelpit202 Posts: 51 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
When logging Strength Training in your exercise diary, do you include minutes of rest in between sets or not? I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but hat would be the most accurate way to track this?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I do (because I have a Fitbit and it'll mess everything up if I change the time), but I immediately halve the calories. So if it said I burned 300 calories I log 150.
  • Amys712
    Amys712 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Usually when I log strength exercise, it doesn't actually give me a calorie count of what I've burned. Is there anything I should be doing to make that happen?
  • fplakecrest
    fplakecrest Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use ActiveTrax to log my weight workouts and they usually give you 30 between sets. They then give you a calorie total based on the sets/reps/weight. If I take longer between sets I take away 10-15% of calories. I then log into Myfitness Pal, that amount.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes it's the total duration of your workout from the time you start until the time you finish. The very rough estimate assume the "standard rest time" between sets - whatever that is!

No it's not accurate, it's something that can't be measured. For such a small burn a rough guess is fine, it's unlikely to make a significant difference to your results.
  • Amys712
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, fplakecrest!
  • Amys712
    Options
    Usually when I log strength exercise, it doesn't actually give me a calorie count of what I've burned. Is there anything I should be doing to make that happen?

If you want to see a calorie burn, log it as a cardio exercise (type strength training in as the option). When you log it under strength training, that's to help keep track of the components of your workout so you can see advancement.

OP, I also tend to cut down the calories by a third to half, depending on how long I felt like I spent resting.

Awesome! Thanks!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I only time my actual lifting, not the stuff in between. So, it might take me 45 min to do my lifting routine, but I've logged 12-15, which gives me 32-40 calories.