Calorie deficit and preventing muscle loss

Options
What is the ideal maximum calorie deficit to lose fat and not enter the muscle loss level?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You're always going to lose some percentage of muscle. But a smaller deficit, adequate protein intake (.8 grams per pound of lean mass minimum), and a good lifting program will all help to minimize the amount of muscle you lose.
  • mtek94
    mtek94 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Roids but apart from that, high protein intake and strength training, naturally you will lose muscle whilst trying to lose fat
  • onlytruemanhere83
    onlytruemanhere83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Im doing the same right now - high protein, solid weights program - dont overdo the weights, I'm moving weights once a week right now but making sure its a solid circuit workout. 2250 calories, dropping the inches but not the lbs
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I've heard TDEE-20% and below. Anything more and you risk more muscle loss. But I'm not an expert though maybe someone has studies on this. Obviously this is alongside adequate protein and progressive lifting.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Its in inevitable you will lose some muscle mass in a calorie deficit. Look at losing about 1% of your body weight a month.

eta: higher/ample protein and a structured lifting program along side your calorie deficit will help provide as much muscle sparing as possible.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Weight training will prevent any major muscle loss while cutting calories.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    If overweight or obese don't exceed 1% of total body weight per week. If within a healthy bodyfat range don't exceed half of that or .5% total body weight per week.

Keep protein to recommended intake (.8-1.2 g per pound LBM).

Perform resistance training regularly.

Accept that *some* muscle loss is inevitable, by doing the above you can be assured you're doing everything in your power (other than taking steroids as someone above put it).